Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Old Credit Question :D

Wikiposts

The Old Credit Question :D

Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:48 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Old Credit Question :D

Originally Posted by englishnurse
fresh start is definatley the phrase of the day! we are really looking forward to being able to leave past mistakes behind and start anew! i already have a job, house is on the market, just waiting for the paperwork now the poor ols nhs is falling apart slowly over here, hence the final push to the usa! thanks for the advice very much neede i can assure you!

Well that's certainly a first -- somebody coming to the US for the healthcare system! You may like to search on here for some of the threads on this board about the differences between the UK and US healthcare systems as perceived by both employees and consumers...interesting reading.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Well that's certainly a first -- somebody coming to the US for the healthcare system! You may like to search on here for some of the threads on this board about the differences between the UK and US healthcare systems as perceived by both employees and consumers...interesting reading.
yes i did look it really is quite interesting especially being someone who works within the system and is not just a service user surely the hospitals are cleaner and better staffed? the pay also outstrips my salary here by about 4-5 times! how do find the health system compares? good or bad?
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 8:55 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

yes i did look it really is quite interesting especially being someone who works within the system and is not just a service user surely the hospitals are cleaner and better staffed? the pay also outstrips my salary here by about 4-5 times! how do find the health system compares? good or bad?
As a user, I see a glossy shine masking a totally inefficient, unfair and corrupt system where the primary goal of the providers is only to make money. Give me the NHS, warts and all, any day!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

As a user, I see a glossy shine masking a totally inefficient, unfair and corrupt system where the primary goal of the providers is only to make money. Give me the NHS, warts and all, any day!
argggg!!!!! am cancelling greencard application
actually it will be strange i love the healthcare free for all slant on things trouble is its all going tits up on the quiet at least i might get a bit of time off in the usa!!! heheh

Last edited by englishnurse; Mar 2nd 2005 at 9:03 am. Reason: needed to add more
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:05 am
Septicity

argggg!!!!! am cancelling greencard application
actually it will be strange i love the healthcare free for all slant on things trouble is its all going tits up on the quiet at least i might get a bit of time off in the usa!!! heheh
Whereabout's are you heading in the US?

Time off? Don't think that's an American word!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:14 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

The pay for those in the healthcare system is nothing to be sneezed at!! They're always advertising for healthcare workers here!!
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:14 am
Don't Know, Don't Care

inquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to allinquisitive40 is a name known to all

Varies widely from state to state. We lived in St Louis and the good hospitals there we real nice. Here in CA the hospitals seem more like Irish hospitals, smaller rooms, less staff etc.

The whole medical system here is also under fire and there are many staffing problems in the hospitals. My wife works as a claims adjuster and she sees the huge differences between different HMOs and also the differencse in service.

There are a lot of doctors here more driven by money than by ethics. Also the pay may be more BUT that is very dependent then on the cost of living in the area you are working. Here in CA the cost of living is very high and so what seems like a good wage only comes even with a wage in a state with lower costs of living and sometimes only a third of the wage.

Have you done all the math between the state you are going and the wage to cost of living ratios? I personally have about the same standard of living here in the US as I did back in Ireland YET we have two wages and about 5 times the income.

Patrick
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:16 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by cindyabs
The pay for those in the healthcare system is nothing to be sneezed at!! They're always advertising for healthcare workers here!!

Precisely!

Good pay, no takers. Where's the problem here?
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:18 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Fatbrit,

Do you know of a website where I can order credit reports from all 3 reporting agencies....preferable a free report?

Thanks!
Rene
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:20 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Precisely!

Good pay, no takers. Where's the problem here?

I volunteered as a Candy Striper and then worked as a nurse's aide when I was a teenager. Had I gone through with nurse's training I would be making double what I do now.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:24 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Fatbrit,

Do you know of a website where I can order credit reports from all 3 reporting agencies....preferable a free report?

Thanks!
Rene
If you haven't done it yet, get them free from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp. You get one shot per person per year.

Additionally, you get a free look everytime you're turned down for credit or get it on less favourable terms -- read the instructions on the letter the lender sent you.

Alternatively, just buy the report directly at the individual bureaus.

I personally don't like buying my report off third parties or the monitoring packages the bureaus put together. It's a total rip-off.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:35 am
Sursum corda

If you haven't done it yet, get them free from https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp. You get one shot per person per year.

Additionally, you get a free look everytime you're turned down for credit or get it on less favourable terms -- read the instructions on the letter the lender sent you.

Alternatively, just buy the report directly at the individual bureaus.

I personally don't like buying my report off third parties or the monitoring packages the bureaus put together. It's a total rip-off.

Seems like I had heard that the everybody was going to be able to get a credit report free a year-some states have that now as a matter of fact.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 9:37 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Seems like I had heard that the everybody was going to be able to get a credit report free a year-some states have that now as a matter of fact.

Yup -- if you go to the link, there's a map showing the roll-out days.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:06 am
sas
Forum Regular

sas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nicesas is just really nice
Smile Re: The Old Credit Question :D

When I first started on the credit path I got a secured card from Washington Mutual (now a Citi card) fee is $35 a year and I put down $1000 security. They put the security into an 18 month CD that returns about 4% so when I get it back it will cover the annual fees.

1 year later I have unsecured cards from MBNA and Bank of America, a car loan and in 2 weeks a mortgage :scared: and my cerdit score is 690
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 10:34 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that link! I have one more question. On all my husband's official documents (SS card, passport, etc) he has a two-word last name with no hyphen. Since that name is so long, his charge cards and bank statements have him listed as just the first part of his last name. When I fill out the on-line credit report request, should I use his full two-word last name as is on his SS card, or the shortened version which is on the credit cards??

Just wondered if they go by name as much, or by SS number.

Oh...and also...Sadegh hasn't lived here 2 years yet. Where it asks for previous address, should I put his address where he lived in Turkey??

Any advice?
Thanks,
Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 2nd 2005 at 10:37 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.