Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Okay...Reality check time...

Okay...Reality check time...

Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:44 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Okay...Reality check time...

Originally Posted by TruBrit
nope there isn't although 90% of brits think there is so you're not alone

sounds like you have a pretty good standard of living in the UK, what else could you possibly want? come visit the usa during vacation time
Read my last posts, shes coming next week
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Read my last posts, shes coming next week
read my last post, i added to yours
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:48 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
read my last post, i added to yours
You did
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
You did
i did, over and out
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:50 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

American Dream? The clue is in the word 'Dream'.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:52 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Keira, you sound as if you really enjoy your life in the UK -- would you move if it weren't for your husband's job?

This is a dilemma faced by people the world over and what's "best" for one spouse can come at the expense of the other.

If you are truly happy where you are, and don't handle change well, I'd sit down and talk to your husband about it. If you don't feel you either want a challenge, or don't need to move.... then I think you will regret it.
This is good advice.

I'd caution you also to take everything said here with a grain of salt. Many people who post here are not happy. This a way of relief for many to just vent. For every British Expat on these boards there are probably 1,000 who have never logged on.

I think I mentioned it before--but I should probably repeat after your post--you REALLY need to come at this with an open mind. You can't come in 'looking for the negative' because ('ta-da') you will find it. You're not in the UK anymore, so making comparisons to 'back home' (which will become rosier and rosier and rosier every day you are away) just builds and builds to the point that you have every negative thing you can possibly think of = USA and every thing that is right and perfect in the world = UK.

You won't think back about the time you stepped in dog crap in a park when you are thinking of the UK, but when you do it in the US (and you are already feeling pretty upset about this that and the other thing) it just another example of why the US is so awful. 'God knows dog's don't take a crap in the UK...' Silly, but you get to that point.

If you can't keep an open mind and take it as it comes, then you really should sit down (now) with the hubby and talk through this. Perhaps coming to some understandings now will be a lot better than when you do so after 3 months of staring at the walls in Chicago.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
American Dream? The clue is in the word 'Dream'.
hey nice one, i'd never thought of that
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by penguinsix
This is good advice.

I'd caution you also to take everything said here with a grain of salt.

I think I mentioned it before--but I should probably repeat after your post--you REALLY need to come at this with an open mind. You can't come in 'looking for the negative' because ('ta-da') you will find it. You're not in the UK anymore, so making comparisons to 'back home' (which will become rosier and rosier and rosier every day you are away) just builds and builds to the point that you have every negative thing you can possibly think of = USA and every thing that is right and perfect in the world = UK.
Like all posts and opinions here in BE

I completely agree IMO if you come here already being negative etc its going to get worse. You need to at least have an open mind and even a positive outlook at the beginning to make it over homesickness and hurdles etc.

Last edited by Irn-bru; Aug 4th 2007 at 12:03 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

This is good advice.

I'd caution you also to take everything said here with a grain of salt. Many people who post here are not happy. This a way of relief for many to just vent. For every British Expat on these boards there are probably 1,000 who have never logged on.

You won't think back about the time you stepped in dog crap in a park when you are thinking of the UK, but when you do it in the US (and you are already feeling pretty upset about this that and the other thing) it just another example of why the US is so awful. 'God knows dog's don't take a crap in the UK...' Silly, but you get to that point.

If you can't keep an open mind and take it as it comes, then you really should sit down (now) with the hubby and talk through this. Perhaps coming to some understandings now will be a lot better than when you do so after 3 months of staring at the walls in Chicago.

that is good advice!

to the OP...i came here with an open mind and positive outlook, it's the only way!
Old Aug 4th 2007, 12:00 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Hubbies work! He doesn't want to refuse - too good an offer. And the idea sounds lovely. I visited America when I was 13 and I loved it - alright I was easily impressed, but it always stayed with me. It's probably a case of the grass is always greener...and all that.
At 13 you were a kid and hopefully you're older and wiser now. Plus, no doubt the US has changed plenty too.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:17 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Keira, I wanted to ask about the Northants thing too. I went to Nene College, as it was way back then , lived in Kingsthorpe and Kingsthorpe Village, then ended up working in that shithole Corby.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Corby as in... just south east of Loughborough?

I went to Uni at Loughborough, had friends down in Corby... they seemed to like it there.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 1:32 am
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

THE DREAM: So when hubbie announced we were relocating to the US, the initial reaction was "Great! Big house, better weather, wide open spaces, cute accents, being cool coz we have a different accent, Hollywood He-men built to serve and protect, blah blah blah..."

A couple of weeks later and reality finally dawns. (With a little help from the BE faithful!)
Shit...

You only live once --- go for it! If it's pants, then you can go home again. For what it's worth, right now I don't think it's pants. I think it's worked out for us (touch wood), and I"m glad we did make that move (I had to quit my career -- I was previously the major wage earner -- as I was a H4) but, had I been allowed to work, I think the previous 4 years would have been easier. I've been very very low at times. But I've also had some amazing adventures, and I think that as a family we are much better off in terms of the time we have with each other, and the the lifestyle. (we now have Green Cards & I am able to work).

Just remember that it IS a foreign country, quite, quite foreign, and expect the differences, even though we speak the same language (well, that's a whole other post, actually, not sure how similar the language actually is).

As wife of an L1, you'll not be so cut off and powerless as you'll be able to get your EAD.

Chicago was recently described to me, just a month ago, (by a Serbian man serving me a Mojito in a bar in the island of Skiathos, Greece, and wanting to move to Chicago) as the most European city in the US.
He'd never been, but that is what people he knew who lived there said ... erm... so I'm sure it's reliable advice!!

You only live once - let us know how it turns out!
Old Aug 4th 2007, 3:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This is good advice.

For what my limey opinion is worth.. thumbs up to this post... it's an *adventure*!
There are a million and one "American Dreams".. what is *yours*?

What is the worst thing that can happen.. you try it out and it doesn't work out.. it isn't forever.
I am constantly perturbed by any number of things I read here because they are so far out of whack with our experience. My UKC husband wouldn't go back if you paid him. There are thousands of Brits living in our city and region and we *never* run into a one.. why? They don't hang together here.. it's a whole different way of life, I guess. There's the odd "pubby" restaurant, but Brits in the Pacific NW don't seem to be gagging to get together, so keep it all in perspective, and just *allow* for the fact that you might really like it! It will be different, but if it were all the same, well, why bother. There will always be good with the bad, and you'll probably find just what you are looking for (ie, attitude counts).
Of course it's scary to move, but you are on to a great adventure.. enjoy!
Old Aug 4th 2007, 3:42 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

At present I don't have to work, we have a nice big house, I've got my own BMW which I drive my daughter to school in, and I can do pretty much anything I want.
You have the right attitude to enjoy it here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.