Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OK where to start.....

OK where to start.....

Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of
Default Re: OK where to start.....

Originally Posted by stockhall
We are going to look into a holiday before the move but not sure
I think that's a good idea.

We're currently in the process of relocating to Maryland this summer with 2 teenagers. We've spent a lot of time in the U.S. over the years but when we visited schools at Easter, found ourselves looking at it in a different way. What came clear to us was that an'exit plan' was important to have and, as a result, we're now trying to let our house rather than sell.

We are definitely going to give it a go, as I'm sure you will, because we don't want to be saying "what if" in 10 years time if we don't do it.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Isn't the UK in Europe? I might be a USC, but I don't think my geography is that bad..LOL

I wish you all the best.

Rene
Fighting talk...
Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and I have no idea where i want to retire yet. My mum is 60 this year and can't even think about retiring any time soon here.
You will see plenty of 70/80yrs old working over here due to finances. Pretty sure the woman who prepared our taxes this year was well into her 80's, one reason we will be changing our tax accountant.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Europe is the blue bit
Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes where would be suggested. Maybe a pit somewhere.
You have made no compelling reason to move to the US at all, but you have set yourself up for numerous disappointments and frustrstions.
Thanks for clarifying. In that case, I'm even more confused by your previous post where you said "if I were coming from Europe". Isn't the UK in Europe? .....
No!

Originally Posted by Springy6
..... What came clear to us was that an'exit plan' was important to have and, as a result, we're now trying to let our house rather than sell. ....
Originally Posted by NiHao
..... Also I meant it is good to own a house in the UK so that you keep a foot on the UK property ladder. ....
Keeping a house in the UK can lead to problems and frustration if you get a bad tenant or a bad property manager. Also it can turn into an expensive tax situation if you don't sell within three years - if you have owned it for a number of years it could easily run to tens of thousands of dollars.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 6th 2015 at 9:58 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjmb
You will see plenty of 70/80yrs old working over here due to finances. Pretty sure the woman who prepared our taxes this year was well into her 80's, one reason we will be changing our tax accountant.
Yep. We are 60 and 61 now and our working days will be carrying on for the considerable future.

My boss is retiring at the end of June . He is only 57 but he has worked for the County for 30 years and his pay out from our private pension plan will be more a month than he earns now, plus he has his own business he is trying to build up.

I wish we were in the same position but we haven't been in our jobs with benefits long enough to do that . Also if we retired before 65 our medical insurance would cost a fortune, at least at 65 Medicare kicks in and helps that problem.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

stockhall is an unknown quantity at this point

You seem to be missing a few islands there, not only UK, but Ireland, Faroe Islands, cyprus, madeira, the azures, Iceland, Greenland, sicily, sardinia, corsica, many of the Greek Isles, the balearics and the canaries to name a few the map you have is faulty. A better comprehensive map of Europe.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=map%20of%20europe&source=web&cd=& cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Flinzh ouweb.com%2F186222-europe-map&ei=6WtzVfKhMoroUuXqgOgI&bvm=bv.95039771,d.d24& psig=AFQjCNE8jUQfzIU46m5_BLSvdVI6arWPrg&ust=143371 3474648794
Old Jun 6th 2015, 9:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Errr....that's the reason we did it. .....
That's funny, because your blog says that you came over because you were invited/ encouraged by relatives of M.

Admittedly the relatives, as far as I can tell, didn't want much, if anything, to do with you after you arrived, but still you did have a reason to come other than "you just felt like it".
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You have made no compelling reason to move to the US at all, but you have set yourself up for numerous disappointments and frustrstions.

No!

Keeping a house in the UK can lead to problems and frustration if you get a bad tenant or a bad property manager. Also it can turn into an expensive tax situation if you don't sell within three years - if you have owned it for a number of years it could easily run to tens of thousands of dollars.
What sort of compelling reasons would be acceptable to you? You clearly are very hard to please.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So if UK is not consisted part of Europe, what continent is it part of? Not trying to cause a stir, genuinely curious, as it goes against what I've thought all my life.

Rene
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So if UK is not consisted part of Europe, what continent is it part of? Not trying to cause a stir, genuinely curious, as it goes against what I've thought all my life.

Rene
It's part of Europe. We tend to refer to the France, Germany, Italy etc as Continental Europe.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

That's funny, because your blog says that you came over because you were invited/ encouraged by relatives of M.

Admittedly the relatives, as far as I can tell, didn't want much, if anything, to do with you after you arrived, but still you did have a reason to come other than "you just felt like it".
We weren't invited. When we found out we could come over we just decided to do it. They encouraged us to come to Texas and not try elsewhere, which seemed like the best idea at the time. And yes they were absolutely no help when we arrived and never have been ...and they weren't just his "relatives" it was his mother ( you can chose your friends but not your family)
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's part of Europe. We tend to refer to the France, Germany, Italy etc as Continental Europe.
Thanks! Must be some inside joke going on, or Boiler and Pulaski were pulling my leg or something...oh well, back to regularly scheduled programming. LOL

Rene
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's part of Europe. .....
I believe you're mistaken. ..... I have succeeding in get several "official" reports issued (internally) at work that refer to "the UK and Europe".
Old Jun 6th 2015, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

When did I ever say I just felt like it aside from that why would I need to justify myself. It makes most economical, personal and practical sense, being paid in US dollars is a big issue when it comes to practical matters. It may not be big, but until he was able to open up a US account we lost a fair amount every month in conversion. We automatically save that if everything is dealt in dollars. He has American colleagues some from many other states NC and TX were the ones recommended for a move. Finally on a personal note yes I want to, I would love to live there. Admittedly my first choice was Australia but that ain't ever going to happen unless I qualify in a job that is of high interest, the US is fascinating, my favourite books are set in the southern states ok in the 19 30's, but still. I find US history fascinating as do I UK's. I am not abandoning my roots and I will miss my family but the world is so big and amazing, life is too short and Texas is my choice (if all goes to plan) for the next few years. The change of lifestyle may be hard at first I get that totally, been looking up national and state holidays and found myself going wow more times than not.

I am open minded, you may not believe it but I am. I am shy yes, but I get there in the end. I am proud every day of all my children and will help them as much as I can to achieve their best. I am hoping that the way the education system works in the state makes my kids realise that they have it easy here and it is not a free ride to leave some things to the last minute.

I am hoping to take my children and explore that vast nation and if that takes until I am 60 plus I will do it. It scares me and excites me. The weather is unpredictable at times and can be down right dangerous, but you can keep safe.

Reality is it will be a big change and upheaval there will be negatives there will be positives. I will have times when I feel lonely I will have times when I will feel loved. There will be months when money is tighter and months when it is not but with a roof over our heads, clothes on our backs and food in our bellies, educated happy well mannered playful children (as they are children) then it should not matter where it is, but if you have that little bit more room to breath then it is just that bit more special and appealing.

This has turned a bit theatrical apologies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.