Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OK where to start.....

OK where to start.....

Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:28 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK where to start.....

Originally Posted by stockhall
been looking into Cheese Enchiladas, and OMG they sound nom nom
until you add it to your food log on "myfitnesspal"..!!!!

When we first arrived here, it was just lovely to be able to afford to go out to eat in the evening with the kids and for a while it was our friday night treat. Then we got a bit fed-up with the "themed" restaurants all the time. my son just refused to go in the end saying he just wanted to eat "real" food. ie. a really nice piece of meat or fish, lovely sauce and some vegetables with an exquisite little dessert....his inheritance from france is his food snobbery.

One of our favourite places to go is a steak restaurant called "Saltgrass Steakhouse". which is very good and very reasonable.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:35 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

and to add - there are loads and loads of "Asian" restaurants around, especially in your neck of the woods. They are pretty reasonable. The places we go out to eat, we reckon on $20 a head (me and OH have a glass of wine/beer), usually less than that.
I've found that paying more doesn't necessarily get you a better quality of food, just a posher environment.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

stockhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
until you add it to your food log on "myfitnesspal"..!!!!

When we first arrived here, it was just lovely to be able to afford to go out to eat in the evening with the kids and for a while it was our friday night treat. Then we got a bit fed-up with the "themed" restaurants all the time. my son just refused to go in the end saying he just wanted to eat "real" food. ie. a really nice piece of meat or fish, lovely sauce and some vegetables with an exquisite little dessert....his inheritance from france is his food snobbery.

One of our favourite places to go is a steak restaurant called "Saltgrass Steakhouse". which is very good and very reasonable.
I will have to have it on a high exercise day (going to invest in a home gym) a few 1000 miles should do it

Nothing wrong with being a food snob, I hate food waste but if it is bruised I wont eat
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

and to add - there are loads and loads of "Asian" restaurants around, especially in your neck of the woods. They are pretty reasonable. The places we go out to eat, we reckon on $20 a head (me and OH have a glass of wine/beer), usually less than that.
I've found that paying more doesn't necessarily get you a better quality of food, just a posher environment.
only asian we do is Indian which I have since banned with the smells that came from my 11 year old (in a confined car I may add). I am not a drinker so that saves on our eating out costs. I don't like far eastern apart from satay and sweet and sour so really not an issue.

I don't do posh restaurants really, far too terrified of my kids being too kid like
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

ok.

hubby is a bargain hunter refuses to pay full amount. will have a browse later
I just had a quick look - Sears has some "reconditioned" (likely ex-demo, out of the box, cosmetic damage on the side or rear) in the $1,000-$1,350 range.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I just had a quick look - Sears has some "reconditioned" (likely ex-demo, out of the box, cosmetic damage on the side or rear) in the $1,000-$1,350 range.
ta muchly, a few months yet, but cosmetic damage is completely fine
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:01 pm
Austin. TX.

Sears after sales service on re-conditioned stuff is appalling. If you don't buy their overpriced warranty, they don't want to know.

We bought washing machine and tumble dryer from a sears seconds place. There was nothing wrong with them, still in the box and new. Just an older model I guess. Then 12 months and 3 days later.... sears didn't want to know, neither did Samsung (it was a known and much quoted problem on the internet). Thankfully, home owners insurance covered it - they phoned samsung and heyho, samsung sent an engineer to replace the part.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sears? I'm surprised I wasn't just shown a picture of a boarded up door.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Sears after sales service on re-conditioned stuff is appalling. If you don't buy their overpriced warranty, they don't want to know.

We bought washing machine and tumble dryer from a sears seconds place. There was nothing wrong with them, still in the box and new. Just an older model I guess. Then 12 months and 3 days later.... sears didn't want to know, neither did Samsung (it was a known and much quoted problem on the internet). Thankfully, home owners insurance covered it - they phoned samsung and heyho, samsung sent an engineer to replace the part.
oh dear not good, husband is ebay king
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

just seen what appear to be vegetable nachos. Sorry Random
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

what has surprised me is the huge amount of what appears to be german and czech influences in cooking
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I am not going to miss is the price of take aways here, three pizzas for £24 on a deal.
Why not just make your own if you're concerned about money? Much nicer as well. Or buy from the supermarket rather than a pricey takeaway one.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Why not just make your own if you're concerned about money? Much nicer as well. Or buy from the supermarket rather than a pricey takeaway one.
I am not worried about money, just find it wasteful, and tbh, I can make the nicest dough possible, but after a long day (which felt quite room due to rather cold recent conditions) I did not want to spend a 10 minutes or so kneeding plus sometimes it feels good just to pop online and order a pizza whilst getting on with other things like online food shop etc.....
Old Jun 11th 2015, 7:16 pm
Austin. TX.

whilst getting on with other things like online food shop etc.....
ah, one thing that is not at all popular here is online food shopping. The supermarkets just don't do it. There are a couple of services that you can pay to do shopping for you (instacart at wholefoods) and amazon now has a 2 hour delivery for groceries service that I haven't yet used.

Costco is your friend with a big family! 1 hour and $$$$ later, you'll be stocked up for at least a month.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond reputehoffage123 has a reputation beyond repute

ah, one thing that is not at all popular here is online food shopping. The supermarkets just don't do it. There are a couple of services that you can pay to do shopping for you (instacart at wholefoods) and amazon now has a 2 hour delivery for groceries service that I haven't yet used.

Costco is your friend with a big family! 1 hour and $$$$ later, you'll be stocked up for at least a month.
They have just opened a Costco in Rochester, I need to go and check it out now that I have a car ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.