Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OK where to start.....

OK where to start.....

Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK where to start.....

Originally Posted by stockhall
OK another question, what sort of meals do you cook in the heat of the summer, I am guessing that most people do not want to slave over a hot stove in 90+ degree heat. I know that is one of my issues. I don't like cooking when it is hot. Do you just stick to dishes like pasta and rice which require little amount of cooking?
You need an induction stove (cooker). The process of induction causes the pan (which must be iron or steel) to get hot without heat having received heat from the stove. ..... The surface of the stove, bizarrely, gets hot only because it has a hot pan sitting on it. It takes a little while to get used to seeing a boiling or sizzling pan on a stove top while feeling almost no heat radiating from the eye/burner. An induction gives you the controlability of gas with the ease of clean-up of a glass-top electric stove - in fact while the pan is being used, if it boils over or spits fat you can lift the pan and take a damp cloth and wipe the stove top without even turning off the eye!
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... One thing I am not going to miss is the price of take aways here, three pizzas for £24 on a deal.
A decent takeaway pizza on offer runs about $12 (plus tax) for 12" here ($18 undiscounted, plus tax), so about the same @ $1.50/£1. Sometimes you can get an add-on "two-topping" pizza for about $5-$6 more.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 11th 2015 at 5:12 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

stockhall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You need an induction stove (cooker). The process of induction causes the pan (which must be iron or steel) to get hot without heat having received heat from the stove. ..... The surface of the stove, bizarrely, gets hot only because it has a hot pan sitting on it. It takes a little while to get used to seeing a boiling or sizzling pan on a stove top while feeling almost no heat radiating from the eye/burner. An induction gives you the controlability of gas with the ease of clean-up of a glass-top electric stove - in fact while the pan is being used, if it boils over or spits fat you can lift the pan and take a damp cloth and wipe the stove top without even turning off the eye!
That is an amazing concept, most houses come with a stove of some kind, so I will be on the look out for homes which may already have and induction one.

Like this idea a lot.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

A decent takeaway pizza runs about $12 (plus tax) for 12" here, so about the same @ $1.50/£1.
really all the sites and word of mouth say it is cheaper, oh well. I can dream. Hopefully the larger variety of fresh produce I can go back to cleaner eating (well as much a possible as very difficult to live on organic all the time)
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:14 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

BBQ - grilled meat/fish marinaded or with a sauce. Steamed veggies Potatoes cubed cook very nicely on the bbq.

friday nights tend to be "Rudy's BBQ" night. Takeaway..yummy.

Stockhall, when it's really hot...like the last couple of days (about 95 f yesterday) we're all inside with the airconditioning going and set to 75F anyway.

Our local HEBs are good for quorn stuff and tempeh is really popular too.

And there's always Trader Joes and Wholefoods. But not near Pflugerville! Just as well, I can spend $100 in those places and still have nothing for dinner....but lots of yummy things to add to it!
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

the other thing to bear in mind is that ingredients don't always behave the same way as they do in the UK. Flour is one - I had to do a bit of experimenting to get my baking to turn out the same way as in the UK, and I think a lot was due to the gluten/water content/grading/fineness of the flour. Self raising flour seemed to be quite rare in the US, you have to use plain and then experiment with raising agents, and which one you chose will depend on the acidity of what you are cooking.

You had good advice further up thread, and that is to treat the US as as foreign a culture to the UK as somewhere in the Far East or South America, and then you will be mentally prepared for the differences and pleasantly surprised by the similarities and the bits you find easy. I went thinking I was prepared based on lots of American TV and movies and business trips. There were lots of minor things that I tripped over that were trivial on their own. But after about 3 months I had a bit of a meltdown when all the seemingly trivial and minor things had built up to a huge frustration. Was OK once I got it all out of my system. :-)
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:15 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

That is an amazing concept, most houses come with a stove of some kind, so I will be on the look out for homes which may already have and induction one.

Like this idea a lot.
You almost definitely won't find one in a house already. They are too expensive and most people just don't "get " it.

Cheapest I've seen is $1000 at Ikea. It's on my "wants" list and suspect it will move up to "need" list in this heat...
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
BBQ - grilled meat/fish marinaded or with a sauce. Steamed veggies Potatoes cubed cook very nicely on the bbq.

friday nights tend to be "Rudy's BBQ" night. Takeaway..yummy.

Stockhall, when it's really hot...like the last couple of days (about 95 f yesterday) we're all inside with the airconditioning going and set to 75F anyway.

Our local HEBs are good for quorn stuff and tempeh is really popular too.

And there's always Trader Joes and Wholefoods. But not near Pflugerville! Just as well, I can spend $100 in those places and still have nothing for dinner....but lots of yummy things to add to it!
Not sure what Tempeh is.

The only fish kids have is tinned Tuna

I am the same in Holland and barratt, could spend a small fortune on googies, seriously addicted to their liquorice.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

been looking into Cheese Enchiladas, and OMG they sound nom nom
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:19 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by yellowroom
the other thing to bear in mind is that ingredients don't always behave the same way as they do in the UK. Flour is one - I had to do a bit of experimenting to get my baking to turn out the same way as in the UK, and I think a lot was due to the gluten/water content/grading/fineness of the flour. Self raising flour seemed to be quite rare in the US, you have to use plain and then experiment with raising agents, and which one you chose will depend on the acidity of what you are cooking.
+1
Butter!!!!
US butter has water added to it. I buy only kerrygold/lurpak or president.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:19 pm

Like this idea a lot.
You'll be lucky to find an ordinary house with one, as they are pricy, though the prices are falling fast. Four years ago they were around $2,300, last year I picked up one for $1,700. I heard (from PetiteFrancaise) that Ikea sells one for less. For comparison a basic stove costs about $600, a more fancy one around $800-$1,000. I expect price of induction stoves to converge with the price of higher mid-range stoves in another 2-3 years.
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You almost definitely won't find one in a house already. They are too expensive and most people just don't "get " it.

Cheapest I've seen is $1000 at Ikea. It's on my "wants" list and suspect it will move up to "need" list in this heat...
ok. Thought it may limit my massive list. That sounds like a resonable cost, the cheapest electric cooker here now is over the £200 mark, so paying £600 odd for a cooker that saves us from madness seems to be worth it
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yellowroom

You had good advice further up thread, and that is to treat the US as as foreign a culture to the UK as somewhere in the Far East or South America, and then you will be mentally prepared for the differences and pleasantly surprised by the similarities and the bits you find easy. I went thinking I was prepared based on lots of American TV and movies and business trips. There were lots of minor things that I tripped over that were trivial on their own. But after about 3 months I had a bit of a meltdown when all the seemingly trivial and minor things had built up to a huge frustration. Was OK once I got it all out of my system. :-)
OK I am not a brilliant baker anyway, going to spend the following few months brushing up on recipes given to me from my friend (there are american books). I will probably trip up many times metaphorically and literally.

Last edited by stockhall; Jun 11th 2015 at 5:25 pm. Reason: forgot to reply fully
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

You'll be lucky to find an ordinary house with one, as they are pricy, though the prices are falling fast. Four years ago they were around $2,300, last year I picked up one for $1,700. I heard (from PetiteFrancaise) that Ikea sells one for less. For comparison a basic stove costs about $600, a more fancy one around $800-$1,000. I expect price of induction stoves to converge with the price of higher mid-range stoves in another 2-3 years.
ok.

hubby is a bargain hunter refuses to pay full amount. will have a browse later
Old Jun 11th 2015, 5:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Like this idea a lot.
In a rental, probably less likely to find it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.