Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it OK to use someone else's bank card?

Is it OK to use someone else's bank card?

Old Nov 12th 2010, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

yrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really niceyrsammit is just really nice
Default Re: Is it OK to use someone else's bank card?

In general, yes, it's totally fine.

If it's a debit/ATM card, just use the pin and you won't ever have a problem. If it's a credit card, most places you won't ever have a problem. In some stores (most stores at the mall), it's store policy to always ask for an ID to accompany the credit card. However, it's the employee's discretion on whether to accept the ID or not. I used my mother's credit card a lot when I was young, and if someone asked for ID I would show her my own and point out the last names and simply explain that it was my mother's and smile politely. I've also used my friends' cards a few times when they've asked me to buy them something on an errand or whatever.

If you're using your husband's card, though, I'd agree with the other replies. Ask your bank to issue you an additional card connected to the account with your name on it.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Usually it was just in cases where I ran in to grab the messages while she was in the car though,
I haven't heard that term for years. I used to use it all the time and then I left Scotland and no one said it and I ended up no longer saying it. My family in Edinburgh still do. Maybe I'll start saying it again just to confuse everyone...OH included!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
I haven't heard that term for years. I used to use it all the time and then I left Scotland and no one said it and I ended up no longer saying it. My family in Edinburgh still do. Maybe I'll start saying it again just to confuse everyone...OH included!

I'm from Northern Ireland, of Scottish stock so my childhood was full of expressions like 'get the messages', 'off for a dander' and 'up to your oxters'.

They have tended to stick with me over the years!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 10:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG
Alright.. illuminate me.. I've never heard that one!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

MrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to allMrsBriggo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by yrsammit
In general, yes, it's totally fine.

If it's a debit/ATM card, just use the pin and you won't ever have a problem. If it's a credit card, most places you won't ever have a problem. In some stores (most stores at the mall), it's store policy to always ask for an ID to accompany the credit card. However, it's the employee's discretion on whether to accept the ID or not. I used my mother's credit card a lot when I was young, and if someone asked for ID I would show her my own and point out the last names and simply explain that it was my mother's and smile politely. I've also used my friends' cards a few times when they've asked me to buy them something on an errand or whatever.

If you're using your husband's card, though, I'd agree with the other replies. Ask your bank to issue you an additional card connected to the account with your name on it.
I have cards on my husbands account and I didn't even have a visa at the time. HSBC premier had it all sorted in an hour.......I always feel better having my own card less likely to worry about getting asked for ID.

I am a worrier though!
Old Nov 13th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Alright.. illuminate me.. I've never heard that one!
My parents were Scottish too and used to say 'get the messages', it mean to buy the groceries
Old Nov 13th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
My parents were Scottish too and used to say 'get the messages', it mean to buy the groceries
I was trying to explain all the sayings to my OH and he now thinks I am completely barking mad. No chance he'd let me use his bank card now!
I think the line was crossed when I told him about "tattie bogle"