British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Is it OK to use someone else's bank card? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/ok-use-someone-elses-bank-card-693181/)

NatashaB Nov 11th 2010 3:35 pm

Is it OK to use someone else's bank card?

Just curious - is it actually allowed for me to use my husband's bank/credit card here, if he gives it to me instead of cash? He seems to think it's OK - but often when I've used my card I've been asked for ID, so can't really understand how that would work if I was using someone else's card :confused:

I plan to open my own account eventually but it seems a bit pointless since most accounts charge a fee each month unless you maintain a certain balance, and I'm not earning any money at the moment.

Jerseygirl Nov 11th 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Is it OK to use someone else's bank card?

Originally Posted by NatashaB (Post 8975777)
Just curious - is it actually allowed for me to use my husband's bank/credit card here, if he gives it to me instead of cash? He seems to think it's OK - but often when I've used my card I've been asked for ID, so can't really understand how that would work if I was using someone else's card :confused:

I plan to open my own account eventually but it seems a bit pointless since most accounts charge a fee each month unless you maintain a certain balance, and I'm not earning any money at the moment.

When my daughter was a high school most of her friends used to use their parent's CCs. I was horrified. :lol:

Here they don't check the signature...in fact I have 'Ask for photo ID' written across the signature box (as well as the sig) and have never been asked for additonal ID. :rolleyes:

AmerLisa Nov 11th 2010 3:41 pm

I would only use to withdraw cash from an ATM. Anyplace else and you run the risk of someone asking to see it and it is refused.

Yes it does happen that retailers will occasionally check the cards that are being used. You may get away with it and you may not.

AmerLisa Nov 11th 2010 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 8975785)
When my daughter was a high school most of her friends used to use their parent's CCs. I was horrified. :lol:

Here they don't check the signature...in fact I have 'Ask for photo ID' written across the signature box (as well as the sig) and have never been asked for additonal ID. :rolleyes:

I've been asked (more recently, I might add) to show ID for my card use.

NatashaB Nov 11th 2010 3:45 pm

I've heard of/ seen this quite a few times which is what made me wonder. Don't think my SD will ever be trusted with my card :D

avanutria Nov 11th 2010 3:46 pm

I think most banks may let your husband add you as an authorized cardholder on his account, and they'll give you a card with your name on it for the same account. It may depend on the bank and the type of account, but it's worth looking into. Sometimes you can submit a request to add a cardholder through the online account access page.

Jerseygirl Nov 11th 2010 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by NatashaB (Post 8975793)
I've heard of/ seen this quite a few times which is what made me wonder. Don't think my SD will ever be trusted with my card :D

One of her friends bought a $3K LV bag while her parents were away. :lol:

Rete Nov 11th 2010 4:01 pm

So do I. Amazingly there are quite a few tellers/cashiers who ask for my driver's license.

Redwing Nov 11th 2010 7:04 pm

We have 2 cards, and my wife is an authorized user on each. The bank should be able to issue one to you on the same account, if your husband requests it.

Trixie_b Nov 11th 2010 7:18 pm

Debit cards can be authorised by a Pin number

If it's a credit card, the processing will not accept the pin, and you may be asked for photo ID

There is differences in the processing here which I'm not quite sure about.

I hate to be asked for ID why should I show my drivers license with my address and DOB to some random cashier who could easily use that info for things they shouldn't. Ie Identy theft.

It makes me love the chip and pin of europe..... {sighs}

Mummy in the foothills Nov 11th 2010 7:36 pm

I send Ds to the store for things with my ATM card He knows the PIN I trust him and he will occasionally add a candy bar to the items but no big deal I'll pay him in candy to do my errands.

SultanOfSwing Nov 12th 2010 3:18 am

When I first moved out here, before we got my name put on my bank account I used to use my wife's debit card all the time. Not once was I questioned as to whether my name really was Michelle :D

Usually it was just in cases where I ran in to grab the messages while she was in the car though, so if the worst came to the worst I could just run to the car park and get her to come in and swipe it. Either that or I was buying petrol and that doesn't require verification.

traceym Nov 12th 2010 3:32 am

My son uses mine all the time, they never look and it makes my life easier!

Bluegrass Lass Nov 12th 2010 3:42 am

Shoot, my mom let me impersonate her all the time. Can't tell you how many times I signed her name on receipts! :rofl:

We're talking about a card associated with a checking account right? Shouldn't be too difficult to be added to the account as a joint owner and get your own card. Unless you are keeping your monies separated in different accounts for a reason?

Yorkieabroad Nov 12th 2010 3:50 am

In July our HSA provider (Wells Fargo) decided they were going to cancel all the debit cards on the HSA accounts, then reissue one per account. When I queried why we only had one, I was told we would have to share it till next spring when they get a new computer system in. huh? but don't your t& c specifically prohibit sharing of cards? No, its OK if we say it is. Ah, rightio...
So, as I am the primary, my wife has to get the card from me whenever she is going to the doctors...wonder what happens if I have a crash while she's having her checkup....

For all other accounts, we now have a card each, but when we first arrived I used to use her discover, was often asked for ID, and no-one queried why the ID and the card name didn't match. Apparently its OK as long as you're stealing from someone with the same last name:ohmy: