Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ok, this post maybe a bit different...

Ok, this post maybe a bit different...

Old May 30th 2009, 8:54 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok, this post maybe a bit different...

The only thing I'd have done differently is that I wouldn't have left.

The schools I went to were both great experiences, though very different, and I changed immensely as a result of my education (and it gave me job opportunities I would never have had).

The places I worked all worked out just fine and I developed a real affection for the Southeast. Sure, not everything was perfect, but certain things you can't change so why get bothered by them?

Coming back to the UK was, for me, a really dumb move. So the only thing I'd change if I could would be to go back to the US (am working on it, but few opportunities in the current economy - already had one job interview cancelled because of a freeze on hiring).
Old May 30th 2009, 9:24 am
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Well thank you guys,
interesting answers there and some good input...
Old May 30th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I really don't think I'd have bothered, given 20/20 hindsight.
Me neither.
Old May 30th 2009, 12:40 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I came here for 3 months, in July 2008 so, was going to go home but wait, I'm now married, and have a child! I wouldn't change that!!

I would however, if I could have seen into the future, got some bloody qualifications that could benefit me over here. It's depressing.
Old May 30th 2009, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
Why not my husband knows only too well
But you moved to make him happy, right?
Old May 30th 2009, 4:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
I came here for 3 months, in July 2008 so, was going to go home but wait, I'm now married, and have a child! I wouldn't change that!!

I would however, if I could have seen into the future, got some bloody qualifications that could benefit me over here. It's depressing.
Just out of interest, what profession are you in, and what kinds of qualifications do you need in the US that you wouldn't in the UK?

Good luck on getting married and having a child, by the way. You move fast!
Old May 30th 2009, 5:11 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

I would do it again in a heartbeat, that being said I am not even here a year yet, and compared to some of the people who post on here with 20 years plus behind them I am definitely a blow in :-). I am here for the long run though, going straight for citizenship when and more importantly if they will have me.
It was not too much of a difficult decision for me to come given that I arrived as a LPR, got a transfer with my company and had no real ties at home, (aside from family and friends). That said if I had a family or to sell a house or something like that then that may have complicated my decision to come.
Also I was fairly America obsessed since my first trip here 11 years ago. I also had some prior friends here and a small amount of family over here which always helps.

Everyone is going to have an answer for this based on there own personal experience so I don't necessarily think that every one will be on a level playing field when answering this question. From my time on BE, I have come to realise that due to the impossible immigration system people tend in general to come here from the UK either with work or by marriage. People who come for work make a conscious decision to come, sometimes it seems to me that the partners may not be so behind the "lets move to America" plan. Similarly people who come here though marriage are in the same situation. When two people from two different countries start getting serious then the "Ok so where are we going to live" discussion starts, and inevitably some one is going to have to leave there home place. Thats sometimes works out for the best, but I have also come across people here that don't mind living here but would like to move back if there USC spouse would move.

My general point is that you should rate peoples answers (good or bad) on their personal circumstances if you want to really get a balanced answer to this from people.

Last edited by starky; May 30th 2009 at 5:16 pm.
Old May 30th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

No real regrets - I agree with your experiences shaping who you are today.

However, if I could have changed anything, it would have been to have waited for job with better money. And also, not to have got involved with anyone whilst here. Being British really complicates things. Just had a pretty hurtful experience with that.
Old May 30th 2009, 6:29 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Would I do it again, without any hesitation.

Life here is good and enjoyable but not without its worries. Different ones to living in the UK but overall we have a better life here than we had in the UK. How can you beat living in a State the size of the UK but with only 3.5 million people in it. So much room, and apart from Portland so uncrowded. In fact even Portland is not crowded compared to UK towns, but still has all the amenities you could want. Well it will in 2011 when Major League Soccer arrives.
Old May 30th 2009, 6:49 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lansbury
Would I do it again, without any hesitation.

Life here is good and enjoyable but not without its worries. Different ones to living in the UK but overall we have a better life here than we had in the UK. How can you beat living in a State the size of the UK but with only 3.5 million people in it. So much room, and apart from Portland so uncrowded. In fact even Portland is not crowded compared to UK towns, but still has all the amenities you could want. Well it will in 2011 when Major League Soccer arrives.
Don't move to the north east! We are like sardeens over here, living on top of each other! Especially in Boston :-) (in the city at least)
Old May 30th 2009, 7:13 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starky
Don't move to the north east! We are like sardeens over here, living on top of each other! Especially in Boston :-) (in the city at least)
I know that is why we came home to the Pacific Northwest
Old May 30th 2009, 8:16 pm
Wishful thinking...

radion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to beholdradion is a splendid one to behold

Got to say this to all who have replied to this, I love the difference in feelings you guys have to this topic and feel that this has opened my eyes, a bit wider,but really guys, thank you for sharing this, I have really enjoyed reading the replies and getting to know you all that little bit better, may it long continue...
Old May 30th 2009, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I came to the US on vacation in '81, fell in love with SF, and managed to get a job here in '83 and never looked back - love living in the Bay Area and shudder at the thought of being back in the UK - it's just not something I could consider happening, and each time I talk to family members or friends, the thought is reinforced. I think I've only been back 5 times in 25 years; prefer to have family visit me.

Regrets - well, maybe I should have spent less time focusing on work and more time on building a family and friends. To this day, I work like a maniac and love my job. I wonder who will look after me when I'm 80 ... I guess another 'regret' (more a 'concern') is that my mum is 80 and living alone in UK ... but in all honesty, I talk to her several times a week and spent at least 2 weeks a year with her (5 weeks last year) which is probably more than she sees of my brother who lives in the same country as her ...

To add to what others have said - I've always believed those who come here alone, and for a specific job/career, settle in far better than those who come as 'reluctant spouses'. I really do feel sorry for couples who come over, because one party is almost always doing the move only to be supportive of the spouse. When you can't work (no daily 'purpose', no easy way to meet people), and don't have a network of your own friends, it can be tough.

Last edited by Steerpike; May 30th 2009 at 8:41 pm.
Old May 31st 2009, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I had a job offer in '77, and I came here with my kids, while going through a nasty divorce. 6 months after arriving here, I met the woman who is now my wife, and we celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary next week. I have only been back 4 times, 2 to bury my parents, and I have never seen anything to make me want to go back. I retired from a good job with a decent pension and health benefits, and I do not regret the decision one bit.
Old May 31st 2009, 12:46 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
I had a job offer in '77, and I came here with my kids, while going through a nasty divorce. 6 months after arriving here, I met the woman who is now my wife, and we celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary next week. I have only been back 4 times, 2 to bury my parents, and I have never seen anything to make me want to go back. I retired from a good job with a decent pension and health benefits, and I do not regret the decision one bit.
Thats a happy ending. How I imagined we'd be one day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.