Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OK I'm just a big scaredy cat.. :D

OK I'm just a big scaredy cat.. :D

Old Jun 5th 2004, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default OK I'm just a big scaredy cat.. :D

I have to go back to the car dealership (use that term very loosely) where I got my car since my temp tags have ran out and I need another set as they havent got my "real" one yet.

Since my budget was low and we were looking for somewhere that would let me take out a loan - went to a dealership in a VERY bad part of Memphis. Now the damn thing doesn't have AC, leaks rain in, pulls to the one side blah blah the list is endless - but M is coming over on Monday night to have a look and try to fix it

Anyways I have ran directions on Mapquest cos I have absolutely no clue how to get there from here and am terrified of getting lost. From past experience of getting lost in that area with M - getting help or directions is not a pleasant experience or even worth trying!

Soo I'm gonna head out soon while it's still early. Pity they wouldn't take the damn thing back. LOL.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 4:47 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK I'm just a big scaredy cat.. :D

Originally posted by Lesley1020
I have to go back to the car dealership (use that term very loosely) where I got my car since my temp tags have ran out and I need another set as they havent got my "real" one yet.

Since my budget was low and we were looking for somewhere that would let me take out a loan - went to a dealership in a VERY bad part of Memphis. Now the damn thing doesn't have AC, leaks rain in, pulls to the one side blah blah the list is endless - but M is coming over on Monday night to have a look and try to fix it

Anyways I have ran directions on Mapquest cos I have absolutely no clue how to get there from here and am terrified of getting lost. From past experience of getting lost in that area with M - getting help or directions is not a pleasant experience or even worth trying!

Soo I'm gonna head out soon while it's still early. Pity they wouldn't take the damn thing back. LOL.
Don't know why they won't take it back but check this site

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

to see if you can find something to bolster your case.

Sam.
Old Jun 5th 2004, 6:51 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

TN must be different from the places I have lived. I always thought that the onus was on you to go to your local DMV and get your plates there, before the temp tags ran out. Does TN mail them to you?
Old Jun 5th 2004, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScousePete
TN must be different from the places I have lived. I always thought that the onus was on you to go to your local DMV and get your plates there, before the temp tags ran out. Does TN mail them to you?
Yep the dealer is doing it all - they gave me 30 day temp tag and I had to take my car for inspection, you get 60 days on temp tags - I gave them the certificate today and she goes on Monday to sort it out and will call me when the proper one comes in and I just go and pick it up or they can mail.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 12:56 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Yep the dealer is doing it all - they gave me 30 day temp tag and I had to take my car for inspection, you get 60 days on temp tags - I gave them the certificate today and she goes on Monday to sort it out and will call me when the proper one comes in and I just go and pick it up or they can mail.
gotcha, thanks.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 3:44 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Michigan mails plates.

Lesley, if it's not too late, just buy a map to keep in the car. I know, you're trying to assimilate and it's unAmerican (), but they're far more usefult than a mapquest printout when your en route and nee to find an alternative or change plans.....
Old Jun 6th 2004, 11:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

" ....... and I had to take my car for inspection, ....."
All the problems you mentioned and it still passed its inspection? ..... What does that say about Tenessee inspections?
Old Jun 6th 2004, 1:19 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
All the problems you mentioned and it still passed its inspection? ..... What does that say about Tenessee inspections?
It says that the state inspections are a Saftey inspection- looking for such things as brake lights, turn signals, tire condition, brakes and such. A car can be blowing oil and have a transmission that is on deaths doorstep and still pass a saftey inspection.

Normally for $30-50 one can take a car to a mechanic and get their opinion of it prior to purchase- money very well spent.
Also- once a dealer has your money you can usually forget about taking the car back, as in most all cases it is sold "AS IS" with no expressed warranty. Caveat Emptor- let the buyer beware.
Old Jun 6th 2004, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pulaski
Yep I know, tho really initially all that was wrong with it was no AC and we thought it just needed freon or whatever its called - the other problems have just come up afterwards, but it was sold as is so there ya go - another lesson learned. The funniest thing is that the night before I took it for inspection M was checking all the lights etc and discovered the horn wasn't working - so I don't know what the hell he did but I now have a little wire that hangs down with a button on it and I press that and it sounds the horn
Old Jun 6th 2004, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

The funniest thing is that the night before I took it for inspection M was checking all the lights etc and discovered the horn wasn't working - so I don't know what the hell he did but I now have a little wire that hangs down with a button on it and I press that and it sounds the horn
Ahhh.... what would we do without mod cons?

lol

Old Jun 8th 2004, 2:11 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ironporer
It says that the state inspections are a Saftey inspection- looking for such things as brake lights, turn signals, tire condition, brakes and such. A car can be blowing oil and have a transmission that is on deaths doorstep and still pass a saftey inspection. .....
I suppose that makes sense, after all I recall reading that, until the emissions test was introduced, it was in theory possible for a car to pass its British MOT without actually having an engine!