Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OK I talked to my Mother

OK I talked to my Mother

Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK I talked to my Mother

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
She may also be entitled to a council tax discount because she's living alone...depends on the council's policy.
The last bit is wrong. It does not vary from council to council. It is a uniform UK regulation: If you live alone, you get 25% off your council tax bill. You don't get it automatically; you need to apply, i.e. fill in some forms. Once you've applied, they then send you a form each year to sign to confirm that you are still living alone.

Edited to say: I just realised that I am not sure whether this applies to Wales and Scotland. But it's definitely a uniform "English" policy, i.e. applies to all councils in England
Old Oct 20th 2009, 12:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
The last bit is wrong. It does not vary from council to council. It is a uniform UK regulation: If you live alone, you get 25% off your council tax bill. You don't get it automatically; you need to apply, i.e. fill in some forms. Once you've applied, they then send you a form each year to sign to confirm that you are still living alone.

Edited to say: I just realised that I am not sure whether this applies to Wales and Scotland. But it's definitely a uniform "English" policy, i.e. applies to all councils in England
That's not what my council told me last year. I receive a 10% discount because my house is occupied for less than 3 months per year and only by me.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

That's not what my council told me last year. I receive a 10% discount because my house is occupied for less than 3 months per year and only by me.
I wonder if that's because they class your home as a 'second home' - I know you don't have another home in the UK, but my local council will give a 10% discount if a house is essentially empty most of the time (which they class as a second home).

I don't think that's the same as the 25% reduction for only being occupied by one adult.

Council tax link here... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...ax/DG_10037422
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
I wonder if that's because they class your home as a 'second home' - I know you don't have another home in the UK, but my local council will give a 10% discount if a house is essentially empty most of the time (which they class as a second home).

I don't think that's the same as the 25% reduction for only being occupied by one adult.

Council tax link here... http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...ax/DG_10037422
I was told the percentage had just been reduced...it may well have been 25% previously. Thank you for the link.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

I was told the percentage had just been reduced...it may well have been 25% previously. Thank you for the link.
I just moved here 5 weeks ago, and they have given me 25% off for being single.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:37 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathy22w
Yes Mum gets a 25% discount too, for living alone. That still came to £98 a month for 10mths a year (or was it 11 I forget already )
Old Oct 20th 2009, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cathy22w
My Mum is still legally married, but lives alone, so she gets the discount, plus her own fuel allowance.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Your council classes this home as a second home. And local councils do have discretion on how much of a discount they give owners of holiday homes/second homes. The discount for that category varies from 10%-15%.

But in my post I was talking about the discount that single adults get for living in their main home - and that is 25% and that is the policy for all councils in England (and possibly Scotland and Wales as well).

See here: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...sthecounciltax

Scroll down to the heading "Discounts" to read about the 25% reduction. And scroll down further to the heading "Holiday homes and second homes" to read about the discount you, personally, are getting.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

No, it's still 25% for single adults living in their main home.

See my post above: Your situation is different, because the council believe your UK home is a second home/holiday home.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
No, it's still 25% for single adults living in their main home.

See my post above: Your situation is different, because the council believe your UK home is a second home/holiday home.
I meant for my circumstances not for a single adult.

Thanks you for the link.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mallory
Basic full British State Pension is approximately $650.00 per month.
Hi Mallory, that is dollars not pounds right?
Old Oct 21st 2009, 11:45 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boodles
Hi Mallory, that is dollars not pounds right?
Yes, US dollars.