Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

OK have a question about Florida

OK have a question about Florida

Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:10 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK have a question about Florida

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Not quite so warm your neck of the woods yet then mate?
We spent the weekend at an igloo building contest.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:30 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Patrick
Anyone mentioned Silver Springs (just outside Ocala) or Cedar Key (above Tampa) or Apalachacola

All these places are well worth a visit (imho)
I live about 15 minutes from Silver Springs....best time to come is April/May once the park is open properly and before the tourists descend.

Although we are having some good open air concerts there this month I believe.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
We spent the weekend at an igloo building contest.
Im guessing it wasnt fake snow and ice you used?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I don't know how anyone can afford to live there. I dragged my husband (kicking and screaming btw) for a holiday there two years ago. There are toll roads everywhere - the customer service is really crap, even Mickey was surly. The bugs are bigger than anything I'd ever want to see again (and I lived in Texas for a year :scared: ) and the weather sucks, well ok its not too bad for about 2 weeks in January.
The toll roads are for the tourists "benefit".

The customer service is far better away from Orlando Metro

The bugs....are big.

The weather far from sucks as long as you like the heat.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

elaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond reputeelaineKB has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: OK have a question about Florida

Originally Posted by rushman
******* ****** **** ******* show off *******
Yeh show off as much as you like...im off to Miami for some posh wedding at a swanky hotel this weekend...yipeeeeeeeeeeee Im in need of some sun, sea...........and the rest !
Old Mar 7th 2006, 2:02 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

notts, only if you stay over in Sarasota. It is a 4 hr drive across Aligator Alley from Sarasota to Ft. Lauderdale!.....miles and miles of absolutely nothing.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 4:37 am
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if your interested or if it is applicable to you (depending on kids ages) but I have seen Universal Studios advertising a 'kids eat, stay and play for free' type thing, that is if you insist on doing a theme park or similar.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jibsymalone
Don't know if your interested or if it is applicable to you (depending on kids ages) but I have seen Universal Studios advertising a 'kids eat, stay and play for free' type thing, that is if you insist on doing a theme park or similar.
I see you're only a couple hours from me yet are a Northern Monkeh....where bouts in Blighty you from?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
I know that.. but surely someone knows where to get the best deals on tickets without the timeshare crap they offer. I am going to be staying down near the walmart off the 192
Hi There,
Are you staying on bass lakes? we stayed there two years ago and it was very nice.
One of the best days out we had was Gatorland as it wasnt a huge park and not disney orientated, we spent most of the morning there then, went on an airboat ride in the afternoon, very enjoyable, depends how old your kids are, some may not like the alligators, we loved it however, it also wasnt too expensive to get in but blew most of the budget on having our pictures taken with various snakes, alligators, parrots etc...

Last edited by englishnurse; Mar 7th 2006 at 12:25 pm. Reason: additions
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by englishnurse
Hi There,
Are you staying on bass lakes? we stayed there two years ago and it was very nice.
One of the best days out we had was Gatorland as it wasnt a huge park and not disney orientated, we spent most of the morning there then, went on an airboat ride in the afternoon, very enjoyable, depends how old your kids are, some may not like the alligators, we loved it however, it also wasnt too expensive to get in but blew most of the budget on having our pictures taken with various snakes, alligators, parrots etc...

Funny how different a tourists view and a residents view of a place can be.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Funny how different a tourists view and a residents view of a place can be.
well yes thats very true, I suppose having never been abroad previously we just thought all of it was great but thats the trick really isnt it as we returned numourous times to spend more money.
If you think about it people who visit england thinking that its quaint with our little villages and little brick built houses dont consider the price of owning and living in one, or for example when you visit london and look at the sights you dont think about the non tourist stuff and crime all hidden beneath the surface.
People who live out of the usa dont appriciate the size of it, nor how different from each other the states are, i certainly didnt realise there was more to florida than orlando until i was made to consider it by my recruitment officer, and now after looking i can certainly see there are much cleaner nicer places to live than orlando.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:12 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

well yes thats very true, I suppose having never been abroad previously we just thought all of it was great but thats the trick really isnt it as we returned numourous times to spend more money.
If you think about it people who visit england thinking that its quaint with our little villages and little brick built houses dont consider the price of owning and living in one, or for example when you visit london and look at the sights you dont think about the non tourist stuff and crime all hidden beneath the surface.
People who live out of the usa dont appriciate the size of it, nor how different from each other the states are, i certainly didnt realise there was more to florida than orlando until i was made to consider it by my recruitment officer, and now after looking i can certainly see there are much cleaner nicer places to live than orlando.
Wow thanks for all the tips I love driving so will be running around a few of those idea's I ahve done that Alligator alley a few years ago we got about half way and turned back kids didn't apreciate the miles of nothing.. not really a theme park person just want to give the kids a nice time but no Disney and universal, I love exploring normally we drive and stop off over night. South of the Border... pml someone told us we had to stop there got off and got straight back on.. this time we are flying so we have more time on our hands, and our car really needs a mileage rest. haha
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elaineKB
Yeh show off as much as you like...im off to Miami for some posh wedding at a swanky hotel this weekend...yipeeeeeeeeeeee Im in need of some sun, sea...........and the rest !
If it's the Doral I'm crashing it
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
Wow thanks for all the tips I love driving so will be running around a few of those idea's I ahve done that Alligator alley a few years ago we got about half way and turned back kids didn't apreciate the miles of nothing.. not really a theme park person just want to give the kids a nice time but no Disney and universal, I love exploring normally we drive and stop off over night. South of the Border... pml someone told us we had to stop there got off and got straight back on.. this time we are flying so we have more time on our hands, and our car really needs a mileage rest. haha
Orlando is like NYC too many people not enough ground...
Account Closed

Absolutely. Thats why theres so many "Ive been to disney and now I want to live in Orlando because its paradise" threads on here. Visiting somewhere for 2 weeks and actually living somewhere are as far apart as can be.

We live and hour or so north west of Orlando Metro near Ocala National Forest. Its very, very nice here, much more "The Real Florida" (ie rednecks and crackers) and we love it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.