Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ok to drive with uk license?

Wikiposts

ok to drive with uk license?

Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:05 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok to drive with uk license?

Originally Posted by Ben

I was wrong on the driving test, though. It has changed and now takes 5 hours! We never had to do this and nor did our british neighbours, but I wonder if this change happened after 9/11 because we sorted our driving licenses out well over 4 years ago.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#driversmoving
FIVE HOURS???? I think you're a bit confused, mate. I took the NYS driving test in July 2003 and it took 10 minutes. The DMV website itself says "The passenger-car road test usually takes about 15 minutes."

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c28.htm

And I never had to show anybody my British license to get an NYS learner permit. Before I moved to New York I read the DMV website and then got myself issued a duplicate UK license just in case they did take the original off me and destroy it.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:09 pm

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
FIVE HOURS???? I think you're a bit confused, mate. I took the NYS driving test in July 2003 and it took 10 minutes. The DMV website itself says "The passenger-car road test usually takes about 15 minutes."

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c28.htm

And I never had to show anybody my British license to get an NYS learner permit. Before I moved to New York I read the DMV website and then got myself issued a duplicate UK license just in case they did take the original off me and destroy it.

Don't an Internation licence work?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:18 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Covenant
Don't an Internation licence work?

International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is not a driver license. The permit only verifies that you hold a valid driver license in your home country. Your foreign driver license, not the International Driving Permit, allows you to drive in NYS. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an International Driving Permit. If you are not a resident of the US, you cannot apply for an International Driving Permit in the US.

You are not required to have an International Driving Permit to drive in NYS, but the permit has value. The permit verifies, in several languages, that you have a valid foreign driver license. A police officer who cannot read the language on your foreign driver license can read the permit.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license...omothernations
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:19 pm

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is not a driver license. The permit only verifies that you hold a valid driver license in your home country. Your foreign driver license, not the International Driving Permit, allows you to drive in NYS. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an International Driving Permit. If you are not a resident of the US, you cannot apply for an International Driving Permit in the US.

You are not required to have an International Driving Permit to drive in NYS, but the permit has value. The permit verifies, in several languages, that you have a valid foreign driver license. A police officer who cannot read the language on your foreign driver license can read the permit.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license...omothernations

Thanks.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's not the test, that's the boring class stuff you sit through to get the drivers permit...or somin'