Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

ok to drive with uk license?

ok to drive with uk license?

Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok to drive with uk license?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
You're supposed to return your NHS Medical Card to the local Family Practitioner's Office too when you are no longer a UK resident
I couldn't even find my card before leaving *l*
As for my UK drivers license, I never bothered get a new photo one, so i won't be bothered renewing that any time soon
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:09 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, but depending on the state as to how tough they are with it, the guy that lived downstairs still has his Texas plate and license and has been living in Maine for five years
Is he still renewing his Texas plate? Can't see the advantage in that...
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:16 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

csf will become famous soon enough

I have been in NYC for 4 years and have driven for the entire time on my old green UK license. For a while I did have an International Permit, which bemused the NYPD even more than the UK license. On two occassions they let me off without a ticket

I would still like to get my NY license though. Does anybody know if the driving classes are still a pre-requisite for taking the test?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box
Is he still renewing his Texas plate? Can't see the advantage in that...
It's got current stickers on it, don't think he goes to texas to get it though...and there's no advantage, he just couldn't be bothered to get a maine plate
Old Sep 15th 2004, 3:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by csf

I would still like to get my NY license though. Does anybody know if the driving classes are still a pre-requisite for taking the test?
Check the DMV website
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by csf
I have been in NYC for 4 years and have driven for the entire time on my old green UK license. For a while I did have an International Permit, which bemused the NYPD even more than the UK license. On two occassions they let me off without a ticket

For the actual driving no. You are required to sit through a very dull 4 hour safety class. Usually a LOT shorter though, with many breaks!!!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
...You are required to sit through a very dull 4 hour safety class...
You still have to do that? that sucks...
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:43 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
You still have to do that? that sucks...
Didn't you check the DMV web site?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by csf
Didn't you check the DMV web site?
not for NY, I'm in maine, and we don't
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:56 pm
csf
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by britchicknyc
For the actual driving no. You are required to sit through a very dull 4 hour safety class. Usually a LOT shorter though, with many breaks!!!
Thanks britchicknyc. I'm a little confused though. Looking at the DMV site though, it states one must have "A valid NYS learner permit" to be eligible to take the road test.

Also, "A valid pre-licensing course certificate (MV-278) or a valid driver education certificate (MV-285)."

Do I need the NYS learner permit? Is the 4 hour safety class the same thing as the driver education certificate?

Thanks.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:07 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I would keep both, I had to hire a car to get back to gatwick on Sunday, when he asked for my driving license, I gave him my Texas one, he looked a bit bewildered, so I told him I still had my old UK license (still folded up about 7 ways in the original plasic wallet), he was alot more happy with that!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 8:13 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yosser
I would keep both, I had to hire a car to get back to gatwick on Sunday, when he asked for my driving license, I gave him my Texas one, he looked a bit bewildered, so I told him I still had my old UK license (still folded up about 7 ways in the original plasic wallet), he was alot more happy with that!
Yosser - don't ever do that again!

I rented a car a few weeks ago and one of those blasted GATSO cameras flashed as I was driving in a leafy stretch of road and couldn't see the camera.

I complained about it to my brother-in-law who does a lot of driving in his job. He says that the local police write to the car rental company asking for the driver info - but as I had used my NJ driving licence and not my British one they can't put any points on it and once they see from the hire company that you have an overseas licence (and presumably an overseas address) they don't bother chasing it up. So far I've heard nothing.

I don't know if your UK licence still has a contactable address on it or not but if you're using your British licence to hire a car then the police just may send a fixed penalty notice to the address on it (mine still has my home address as we rent out our house in Essex so the tenants would forward it on) but you might as well use your American licence in the UK...all car rental companies should accept them. The guy must have been a bit thick - thousands of Brits are resident overseas for goodness sake!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:40 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf
Thanks britchicknyc. I'm a little confused though. Looking at the DMV site though, it states one must have "A valid NYS learner permit" to be eligible to take the road test.

Also, "A valid pre-licensing course certificate (MV-278) or a valid driver education certificate (MV-285)."

Do I need the NYS learner permit? Is the 4 hour safety class the same thing as the driver education certificate?

Thanks.
When I lived in Manhattan (last year) I just went along to the DMV and they treated me essentially as if I were a local applying for a license for the very first time. They never asked for my UK license, they made me sit a piss simple test there and then and I walked out with a learner permit (actually I think it might have been a temporary permit and the real one arrived in the post a week or so later). I had to sit through the "five hour safety course" in a seedy room on West 72nd street with copious coffee and donut breaks (Krispy Kreme was opposite) at the end of which we sat another ludicrously simple test, the reward for which was a slip saying I had passed the test that I had to hand over to the examiner at the road test.

I booked a couple of driving lessons, just to make sure I knew what I was doing (even though I'd driven enough rental cars over here), and also so I could take the test in the instructor's (crappy) car.

So there were a few hoops to jump through but it was never the slightest bit taxing.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 1:14 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Manc, it states on the NYS license website that your international license will be taken off you when you are issued a NYS license. It will be destroyed after 60 days. You can request for it to be returned to you but I have no idea how successful this is.

It also states that if you become a resident of NYS then you have to get a NYS license within 30 days (a resident is defined as someone who has a fixed abode in the state for a period of more than 90 days or with the intention of being in the state with a fixed abode for more than 90 days).

I was wrong on the driving test, though. It has changed and now takes 5 hours! We never had to do this and nor did our british neighbours, but I wonder if this change happened after 9/11 because we sorted our driving licenses out well over 4 years ago.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm#driversmoving
Old Sep 16th 2004, 1:16 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csf

Thanks.
If you have a UK license then you don't need a learners permit, you just need to show your UK license. Look at the website I posted under the international bit, it will give you the info. you need.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.