Reload this Page >

Oil Industry Worker Married to American-Info moving to US

Oil Industry Worker Married to American-Info moving to US

Old Dec 8th 2014, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Orlandogal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oil Industry Worker Married to American-Info moving to US

Hi There!

I am american and my husband is british.We are interested in moving to the states but are having a hard time calculating the best way to go about it from an "offshore oil worker" standpoint. i.e.: taxes, what we have to pay and to whom, etc. as he will still be working abroad. We plan on moving to a tax-free state so as to not pay 70% tax, but are we "missing something" in terms of taxation? Our tax bracket in the UK is so so high, that in order for him to work in the UK and live in the US, (commuting) we can't imagine we'd have much take home pay.

Any information would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you so much!
Old Dec 9th 2014, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oil Industry Worker Married to American-Info moving to US

Even if you don't have state tax, you might have any of the following (or in the case of California all of them):

Federal tax
Sales Tax
Property tax (we have found this to be much higher than council tax in the UK)

and don't forget the medical insurance costs.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 8:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread in to the US forums, where hopefully the good folks will be able to advise on tax issues, and also making sure that your husband doesn't run the risk of abandoning his green card if he's working offshore.

Best of luck with it.

Old Dec 9th 2014, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orlandogal View Post
Hi There!

I am american and my husband is british.We are interested in moving to the states but are having a hard time calculating the best way to go about it from an "offshore oil worker" standpoint. i.e.: taxes, what we have to pay and to whom, etc. as he will still be working abroad. We plan on moving to a tax-free state so as to not pay 70% tax, but are we "missing something" in terms of taxation? Our tax bracket in the UK is so so high, that in order for him to work in the UK and live in the US, (commuting) we can't imagine we'd have much take home pay.

Any information would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you so much!
If he will be working offshore in the UK and paying taxes in the UK, those taxes should be able to be used to offset US federal income taxes owed and since tax rates in the UK are higher than the US, he probably won't owe any US taxes and if you live in a state without any income tax, then there will not be any state income tax liability on his earned income.

For unearned income, the same should apply unless assets are held in a offshore account with little or no foreign taxes paid but if held in the UK, taxes on capital gains are normally higher so that should offset US taxes owed.

Foreign taxes paid on earned income can only offset US taxes owed for earned income and foreign taxes paid for unearned income can only offset US taxes owed for unearned income.

See a tax accountant to verify the above.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 12:27 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where the "70%" comes from? There is one thing that is absolutely certain, he won't be paying tax in both countries.
Old Dec 9th 2014, 7:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

What are you doing about your taxes and IRS filings? It should give you some idea already of the federal stuff.

Anyway, welcome to BE and good luck!