Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Oh, you have a green card? Please face the camera..... Oh and welcome home

Oh, you have a green card? Please face the camera..... Oh and welcome home

Old Dec 20th 2008, 6:12 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh, you have a green card? Please face the camera..... Oh and welcome home

What a waste of money.

DH can apply for citizenship in January.

My MIL can only provide nine fingerprints, because she lost the tip of one finger when she was a girl. You can imagine how the system grinds to a halt while this exception is handled.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:24 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh, you have a green card? Please face the camera..... Oh and welcome home

Just last week I entered the US as a returning resident for the first time. I went through the citizens and residents line, the IO said "welcome home" and it really felt like I was coming home, to somewhere I belonged.

Glad I got to enjoy it one time. Next month I can go back to feeling like an unwelcome foreign bastard.
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Oh, you have a green card? Please face the camera..... Oh and welcome home

Doing a little Net serching, I found this from an AILA Practice Advisory on the US-VISIT Program in 2004:

Interestingly, in 1998 a Senate Judiciary Committee Report (No. 105-197) found that, “implementing an automated entry-exit control system has absolutely nothing to do with countering drug trafficking, with halting the entry of terrorists into the United States, or with any other illegal activity at or near the borders. An automated entry-exit control system will at best provide information only on those who have overstayed their visas.”
All this catch a few visa overstays? Great use of public money I'd say.

http://www.immigrationlinks.com/news/news1882.htm
Old Dec 20th 2008, 7:59 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Is it something with the initials. The DHS in the UK are wankers too
Old Dec 20th 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Is it something with the initials. The DHS in the UK are wankers too
Oh yeah, didn't think of that. I remember when it was the DHSS. A fun bunch to deal with...NOT!
Old Dec 20th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment, GC holders line up with US citizens at airports.

I assume all us GC holders will be holding up the line now...
Old Dec 21st 2008, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hobbes79

Or be put through the visitors line instead.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 3:28 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
Or be put through the visitors line instead.
Absolutely correct. You may be designated a Legal Permanent Resident, but as far as DHS is concerned, you are a visitor all the same.

Boy, am I glad I got my citz...

I'm guessing and hoping that DHS would have a MUCH harder time trying to implement different procedures for naturalized and natural-born USCs.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm guessing and hoping that DHS would have a MUCH harder time trying to implement different procedures for naturalized and natural-born USCs.
You betcha! I doubt they would even try it, but if they did, I'm sure the ACLU would be all over them in a heartbeat.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:52 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
You betcha! I doubt they would even try it, but if they did, I'm sure the ACLU would be all over them in a heartbeat.
And I, for one, would be writing to my congressmen as fast as I could put pen to paper...
Old Dec 21st 2008, 4:09 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79

Somehow I don't think they'll let them go through the USC line anymore, because the USCs will get pissed off by having to wait longer to go through. Which means they'll have to go through the Visitors line, since I doubt airports would go to the effort and expense of creating a new line just for PRs.

So what does this mean for "mixed-status" families? Can the PR spouse still go through the USC line with the USC spouse? Or would they have to go in separate lines?

What about PRs traveling with USC children? They're going to make the children stand in line longer and wait just because their parents are PRs?

The problem is that most Americans have NO CLUE what is involved with immigration and don't realize that PRs have already had to provide their fingerprints and undergo extensive background checks BEFORE they're granted permanent residency. The government has ALREADY determined that they're not a threat to the country -- so why have them prove it over and over again? It's just completely redundant and a waste of everyone's time and money!

~ Jenney
Old Dec 21st 2008, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

karenina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I'm surprised at the attitudes of some of you.
If you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide...

What's wrong with registration and licensing of people? That's what you always ask me.

since you probably have nothing to hide, you don't object to the police
searching your house without a warrant at 3AM?

I could care less if they wanted my fingerprints again and again. Come to
think of it, I don't even mind if they want to implant a RFID chip on the
back of my neck so I can just walk through customs in two seconds.
(like EZpass for cars)
Old Dec 21st 2008, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karenina
since you probably have nothing to hide, you don't object to the police
searching your house without a warrant at 3AM?

I could care less if they wanted my fingerprints again and again. Come to
think of it, I don't even mind if they want to implant a RFID chip on the
back of my neck so I can just walk through customs in two seconds.
(like EZpass for cars)
A barcode on the forehead would also work.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Somehow I don't think they'll let them go through the USC line anymore, because the USCs will get pissed off by having to wait longer to go through. Which means they'll have to go through the Visitors line, since I doubt airports would go to the effort and expense of creating a new line just for PRs.

So what does this mean for "mixed-status" families? Can the PR spouse still go through the USC line with the USC spouse? Or would they have to go in separate lines?

What about PRs traveling with USC children? They're going to make the children stand in line longer and wait just because their parents are PRs?
That's a good point. My wife is a USC and our child is a USC (well, dual to be pedantic). I know when going through UK immigration, they said my wife could just come through with me. Though often the international immigration line is shorter depending on the terminal, in which case I go through with the wife... whichever line's shorter!

I think it would be ridiculous for PRs to go through with visitors, personally. To stand behind all those people being asked "how long you staying? who are you visiting? can I see your return ticket?" etc, etc. Then again, the well being and convenience of PRs doesn't appear to be high on the priority list.

I'll be applying for citizenship the DAY I'm eligible.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 6:08 pm
Shocked of Redmond

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Although this was before US-VISIT was instituted, when I was on my H-1B, and when my AOS was pending, I used to line up to go through the USC line when traveling with my wife. This was allowed as a convenience to her, not to me. Twice, I think, I was sent to the visitors' line instead (but it being SeaTac, it was not unusual for that to be as short as or shorter than the USC/LPR line).

IIRC, all booths are currently equipped with the cameras and fingerprint readers, so it may be possible when traveling with a spouse to go through the USC line with them.

I suppose the best way to find out would be to try, and to see what the CBP say. Who's planning to arrive back in the US on 19th January next year?

Last edited by nettlebed; Dec 21st 2008 at 6:10 pm. Reason: To correct an infelicitous grammatical construction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.