Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

...oh, one of the things I don't like...

...oh, one of the things I don't like...

Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice
Default ...oh, one of the things I don't like...

One if the things that REALLY drives me crazy over here is the frequencey and length of the freaking ADVERTS!

Its something like every 7 minutes with the ads lasting about 5 minutes!

Drives me insane.

Oh, and then the show will finish, there will be 5 mins of ads, then the CREDITS will roll, then another 5 mins of ads!
Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ...oh, one of the things I don't like...

I listen to Stern in the mornings and some ad breaks will last 15 minutes which is most of my drive time. Thats why I just bought satellite radio.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:07 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robousy
One if the things that REALLY drives me crazy over here is the frequencey and length of the freaking ADVERTS!

Drives me insane.

Oh, and then the show will finish, there will be 5 mins of ads, then the CREDITS will roll, then another 5 mins of ads!
It's free, no license fee
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

mrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant futuremrcusa has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
It's free, no license fee
So is ITV and Channel 4!

I can't understand why someone with clout, say Oprah Winfrey doesn't say to the advertisers, here's the deal:

You can advertise for 5 minutes on the hour and on the half hour and that is it. Take it or leave it.

I bet the advertisers would get better exposure than the adverts every 7 minutes they show at present.

Martin
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrcusa
So is ITV and Channel 4!

I can't understand why someone with clout, say Oprah Winfrey doesn't say to the advertisers, here's the deal:

You can advertise for 5 minutes on the hour and on the half hour and that is it. Take it or leave it.

I bet the advertisers would get better exposure than the adverts every 7 minutes they show at present.

Martin

I think they are more likely to say "hey Oprah - here's $10M, we're having one at 5:07 one at .... blah blah blah"
Old Aug 16th 2005, 8:35 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrcusa
She got to have her multi million dollar fortune ....by including more and more ads ...who else is going to pay ....
Old Aug 16th 2005, 9:32 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Drives me insane.

I don't understand, are you saying you don't own a replaytv, TIVO or other setup recorder. NO MORE ADVERTS....

I've been using them for over 3 years and if I really have to watch something live, I press pause when the ads come on. Most of the time, I watch stuff 20 mins after it's started and by the time it's finishing I'm LIVE - WITH NO ADVERTS

3 years ago when I brought it, my wife said to me - "this is the only gadget you've ever brought that I love"
Old Aug 16th 2005, 10:59 pm
ImHere

And this thread will be right back after these important messages......

Old Aug 16th 2005, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I really don't understand the attraction of satellite radio. Why should I pay to listen to someone else's choice in music? I can put on a CD and listen to my own choice for free.

If I want to listen to someone else's choice I'm willing to put up with a few ads in order to do so - for free.

But mostly American radio is crap in my opinion (in terms of playlists). I listen to a "news" station during my 50 minute commute, primarily for the 10 minute traffic updates so I can determine if I need to change my route - again, for free.

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
I listen to Stern in the mornings and some ad breaks will last 15 minutes which is most of my drive time. Thats why I just bought satellite radio.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace
I must admit I really don't understand the attraction of satellite radio. Why should I pay to listen to someone else's choice in music? I can put on a CD and listen to my own choice for free.

If I want to listen to someone else's choice I'm willing to put up with a few ads in order to do so - for free.

But mostly American radio is crap in my opinion (in terms of playlists). I listen to a "news" station during my 50 minute commute, primarily for the 10 minute traffic updates so I can determine if I need to change my route - again, for free.
With satellite, you're spoilt for choice as far as what you can listen to and from what I have found so far in the brief time that I have had it, it's 10 times better than regular US radio with the added bonus of no ad's.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:55 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you remind me what adverts are, please?

After a year of having TIVO, I can't remember what it was like to watch all that crap interrupting my TV viewing pleasure.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 5:09 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

You still watch TV, then?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 12:54 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevntrace

I know this is nit-picking but your Music is not free, not unless you are downloading it using Kazaa or somesuch, which of course you are not ;-)

If you pick the right Satellite service you can listen to the BBC in your car. Not a bad thing IMHO.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

I'm with the others. Buy a Tivo.

But you're right. When I'm away on business, forced to watch TV in a hotel, it is frustrating.

On the other hand I have my TV license framed in my TV room. It gets a lot of laughs.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:55 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I love satellite radio. Couldn't be without it now. Especially as Sirius has Radio 1.

As for TV, those ad breaks are good for getting the washing done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.