British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   oh no not another newbie! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/oh-no-not-another-newbie-249293/)

Hugh Jaas Aug 17th 2004 1:05 pm

oh no not another newbie!

Greetings to all on the Forum! ( from Cheshire, Cheadle Hulme),

yep newbie to this forum, er actually come to think of it newbie to any forum. :o

Got the Embassy apointment in Sept for a H-1B.

I'm hoping to re-locate( with my wife and 2 sprogs) and go work in LA October of this year. I work in the Computer Games Industry.The Area I'll be locating to is Ventura County, anybody hail from there?

Been to the

I've found the forum incredibly useful. So you guys provide a really awesome service that one would really struggle to get from offical places. I mean you can't beat learning from someone else's experience.

Got no questions as of yet , just thought I'd say hello.

Manc Aug 17th 2004 1:07 pm

Re: oh no not another newbie!

Originally Posted by Hugh Jaas

From Stockport, Cheadle Hulme. Dont'cha mean?

oh and welcome btw

Hugh Jaas Aug 17th 2004 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by manc1976

oh and welcome btw

Hello Manc1976, thanks for the welcome and yep sorry LOL. It is Stockport the postcode is SK8. You know I mention Stockport to people, even here in England and they all go huh? wheres that then? So I just say Manchester.

Oh yeah BTW where's the spell checker on this doohickey. My spelling is atrowshush! :)

Where are you from Manc1976?( in the U.S) and what part of Manchester are you originally?

tara fer a bit..

Hugh Jaas Aug 17th 2004 1:21 pm

oh and welcome btw

Remember that bit where I said I was new?

I should have read your header, Michigan!! doh!!!

Manc Aug 17th 2004 1:22 pm

Hello Manc1976, thanks for the welcome and yep sorry LOL. It is Stockport the postcode is SK8. You know I mention Stockport to people, even here in England and they all go huh? wheres that then? So I just say Manchester.

Oh yeah BTW where's the spell checker on this doohickey. My spelling is atrowshush! :)

Where are you from Manc1976?( in the U.S) and what part of Manchester are you originally?

tara fer a bit..

From Sale originally, but went to College in Stockport on the A6. supported County for about 12 years now an all. (From their Friday night game days..when I went after college) Now living in Northern Michigan.

Hugh Jaas Aug 17th 2004 1:39 pm

From Sale originally, but went to College in Stockport on the A6. supported County for about 12 years now an all. (From their Friday night game days..when I went after college) Now living in Northern Michigan.

Cool, I lived in Sale a few year back, near where SaleMoor meets Sale. I'm originally from Brummyland,well most of childhood, although born in Dartford Kent, did Art Degree in Liverpool. How does Michigan compare with M33?

snorkmaiden Aug 17th 2004 1:43 pm

yep newbie to this forum, er actually come to think of it newbie to any forum. :o

Got the Embassy apointment in Sept for a H-1B.

I'm hoping to re-locate( with my wife and 2 sprogs) and go work in LA October of this year. I work in the Computer Games Industry.The Area I'll be locating to is Ventura County, anybody hail from there?

Been to the

I've found the forum incredibly useful. So you guys provide a really awesome service that one would really struggle to get from offical places. I mean you can't beat learning from someone else's experience.

Got no questions as of yet , just thought I'd say hello.

Ah, the exodus of game developers from the UK continues....

My hubby is a games artist and the state of the long suffering industry in the UK forced us to move here last year. (DFW, Texas) I think you'll find there are more of your kind on this board :D

Manc Aug 17th 2004 1:48 pm

Cool, I lived in Sale a few year back, near where SaleMoor meets Sale. I'm originally from Brummyland,well most of childhood, although born in Dartford Kent, did Art Degree in Liverpool. How does Michigan compare with M33?

Michigan is a damn site colder than M33 in the winter.

Hugh Jaas Aug 17th 2004 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
Ah, the exodus of game developers from the UK continues....

My hubby is a games artist and the state of the long suffering industry in the UK forced us to move here last year. (DFW, Texas) I think you'll find there are more of your kind on this board :D

lol. hello there, You know we have such a bad rep, I really dont know whether to even admit to working in Computer games these days, but I love it. Yeah the UK industry really has taken a hammering. So many companies going down, good people losing jobs. But I think it's starting to get back on it's feet. Perhaps teh worst has yet to come :eek:

Plus it's not that well paid in the UK which is the opposite in the US. I think it's considered more of a skilled job in the US. I think while that trend continues that exodus will continue...

We wanna try out the US lifestyle for a few year and see how it goes. From what I've gathered from this ( awesome) forum and friends who have been over, the first few years are the toughest on partners, well for people on 'O' and H visas. I take it you cant work or have a SSN. We have that in mind so we have a fair idea of what to expect and are realistic.

Ironically people are well into the idea of the hotweather, I kinda like seasonal change and I tend to prefer being in the shade in hot weather( dont get me wrong I LOVE the sun totally). My 1st choice would have been somewhere's like SF, but the job is in LA, but hey I'm happy :rolleyes:

Chopper-Chris Aug 17th 2004 3:23 pm

My 1st choice would have been somewhere's like SF, but the job is in LA, but hey I'm happy :rolleyes:

http://www.mapquest.com/

its only 5 1/2 hours...a nice weekend trip! (if you can get through the traffic)

syllk Aug 17th 2004 4:11 pm

Ironically people are well into the idea of the hotweather, I kinda like seasonal change and I tend to prefer being in the shade in hot weather( dont get me wrong I LOVE the sun totally). My 1st choice would have been somewhere's like SF, but the job is in LA, but hey I'm happy :rolleyes:

Seasonal change is one thing you won't exactly get a lot of over here, but if you want cooler temperatures, try Ventura itself. Whereabouts in Ventura County is the job based?

ladyofthelake Aug 17th 2004 4:51 pm

My other half comes from Cheadle Hulme, not far from Church Road if you know it. Welcome to the forum :D

Hugh Jaas Aug 18th 2004 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Chopper-Chris
http://www.mapquest.com/

its only 5 1/2 hours...a nice weekend trip! (if you can get through the traffic)

Hello, only 5 1/2 hours? I thought it was longer. Mind you some friends and I did a flydrive in '95 and it was like up the 101 all the way. I think it's definitley on the cards. I loved San Luis Obispo and Monterey. V.cool.

Hugh Jaas Aug 18th 2004 7:51 am

Originally Posted by syllk
Seasonal change is one thing you won't exactly get a lot of over here, but if you want cooler temperatures, try Ventura itself. Whereabouts in Ventura County is the job based?

Well the actual job is in Woodland Hills, Ventura might make it a hefty commute. I dont know I've not really truly experienced proper LA traffic. I hear its bad. I was hopping to live around Camarillo or 1000 oaks, maybe Westlake. I hear they are nice/safe places with good schools. Only they sound expensive.

Have you heard of those areas? Good places?

I think we can handle the temperature ok. I am actually Indian of origin, but born and bred in the British Climate cooler climes is where I function the best. Mind you, I guess one gets acclimatized wherever you go. I have heard Valley temperatures can go nutty.

Hugh Jaas Aug 18th 2004 7:52 am

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
My other half comes from Cheadle Hulme, not far from Church Road if you know it. Welcome to the forum :D

Yeah Church Road, just off the Roundabout, and there's an actual Church On Church Road! :eek: We are off Gilbent Rd!