Reload this Page >

oh, my word! what next?

Wikiposts

oh, my word! what next?

Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

tparrent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: oh, my word! what next?

I asked an INS officer at Vancouver airport POE if he would grant an EAD on the spot and said "Sure, if you talk nice to me." I guess they have discretion so politeness is always a good idea.

I bet you didn't know we had an immigration POE in CANADA! Right in the airport. A little piece of the USA. Very bizarre.

Overall, you are coming from an "easy" country with all your approvals so there is really only one thing left to do: STOP WORRYING!!!!! Walk through Immigration, kiss your honey and get on with your life. Congrats.
Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:44 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The truth is froth with many variables and just because experience or advice differs from one poster to another doesn't mean that either is lying.

Truth is that the K-1 has the implied permission from INS to work. In years pass, a temporary 90 day EAD card and/or stamp was issued at the entering POE by the agent that accepted the brown envelope and processed your entry. The giving of the EAD card and/or stamp at the various POEs started to "stop" in 1998. The ones still consistently giving them were places like (to name a few) Dallas, JFK in NYC, Logan Airport in Boston and then Logan stopped and JFK became hit or miss and I don't recall if Dallas still is or not. Then some people discovered that if they were lucky enough to live in an INS jurisdiction with people manning the office, they could walk in with their passport and K-1 and be issued the 90 day EAD right then. But that, too, is hit or miss depending on where you live.

But even without the temporary EAD, K-1 recipients could still obtain a "work with authorization by INS" social security card. You went in, applied, called in a few days, got your number over the phone and the physical card within ten days.

Then the worse happened -- September 11, 2001 and the screws be tightened at the social security office, and the DMVs.

Because so many of the terrorists were able to obtain driver's licenses which gave them the ability to get other forms of identification and to travel freely many DMV's decided that you had to have a certain valid type of INS visa in order to obtain a driver's license. And what do you know, one of those that was not mentioned was the K-1. You could get a license if you were a student but the hell with ya if you were married with INS permission to a USC and living in the US. You were SOL in getting a driver's license until you had your adjustment of status interview and greencard/stamp.

And now the SSA has passed the work to their offices that no cards can be issued until they have obtained INS verification of your legal status within the US. So people are waiting weeks and months for this verification.

The truth not all DMVs have these rules and not all SSA offices follow the verification rule. You might be able to walk into a SSA office and have your card within ten days. You might be able to then walk into the local DMV office and walk would with a license or at least an appointment to take the test for a license. It appears that the truth is that the experience is a individual as the K-1 interview experience.

As for the 90 day EAD, it doesn't hurt to ask for it but it does not mean that you will get it. No you can't insist that they do it because they can and do refuse. Is it legal for them to do so? Got me but they do refuse.

Getting the K-1 is the easy part, you are just embarking on the yellow brick road and believe me there are many monkeys out there under the leadership of the Wicked Witch of the West. Be sure to have your bucket of water handy to ward her off.

Rete
Old Oct 21st 2002, 6:53 am
Account Closed

katesuiter is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]

And now the SSA has passed the word to their offices that no cards can be issued until they have obtained INS verification of your legal status within the US. So people are waiting weeks and months for this verification.

The truth is not all DMVs have these rules and not all SSA offices follow the verification rule. You might be able to walk into a SSA office and have your card within ten days. You might be able to then walk into the local DMV office and walk would with a license or at least an appointment to take the test for a license. It appears that the truth is that the experience is a individual as the K-1 interview experience.

As for the 90 day EAD, it doesn't hurt to ask for it but it does not mean that you will get it. No you can't insist that they do it because they can and do refuse. Is it legal for them to do so? Got me but they do refuse.

Getting the K-1 is the easy part, you are just embarking on the yellow brick road and believe me there are many monkeys out there under the leadership of the Wicked Witch of the West. Be sure to have your bucket of water handy to ward her off.

Rete
Thanks so much Rete. Any advice I get is so valuable. I thought I knew all there was to know about this K1 process, but I'm a bit of a novice!!! New info pops up every day, and this site is my beacon in the dark. Is anyone else totally hooked on this site???
Old Oct 21st 2002, 7:06 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by katesuiter:
Heh heh!!!!! Dear Lord, what have I started????
Oh, Kate....not to worry. Just a little silly banter between me and my "intended"!

Hope that my suggestion about contacting your state Dept. of Motor Vehicles was helpful. Good luck!
SecretGarden
(muttering to self....*back under English rule*, my arse.....lol)
Old Oct 21st 2002, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

claudia13839 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I work at a driving school and insurance agency in New York. The documents necessary to obtain a license varys with each STATE!

1. Forget about the international drivers license, its useless.
2. Fact: New York requires a SSN or a letter from the Social Security Office verifying that you can get a permit based on your status.

Acceptable alternatives: Visa valid for more than 11 months of stay, ex: Student visa

Other than that you have to be either a resident or citizen.

3. Proof of address required: phone bill, electric, gas bill in the APPLICANTS name.

Other id is required....examples......

credit cards, cancelled check, college id, US marriage certificate.....etc.

New York is one of the strictest states regarding this matter.
Prior to 9/11 Florida did not require a SSN, but now it does, so things are changing!!!

Email if you have any questions.

Claudia
Old Oct 21st 2002, 10:31 am
Jennifer

katesuiter wrote in message news:...
    > Hi, (yet again) people!!!!
    > Just when I thought I was prepared for everything............!!!!!
    > I've been thinking so much about getting over to my betrothed, I've not
    > really thought about what I need to do once I get there!!!
    > How does a person go about driving legally in the States? I have a
    > full UK license, which I've had for nearly 10 years, and someone told
    > me you can drive on that for two months before you have to apply for a
    > US license. (I'm assuming this is how tourists are allowed to drive
    > over there.)
    > Would I need to take any official "lessons" from a qualified
    > instructor like we do in the UK? And what's the procedure for applying
    > for a license? I would like to be able to drive legally as soon as I
    > get there.
    > Any advice is appreciated, but be gentle with me, as you're dealing with
    > someone who jaywalked in the US without realising I shouldn't have!!!!!
    > Oops!!!!!!!!
    > Ta in advance. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,
After reading all the other replies to your post, I thought I'd add
one more thing. When my fiance (now husband) came over from Holland
with his Dutch driver's license, I called my insurance company and
told them my "boyfriend" was visiting from Holland and I wanted to add
him to my policy so that he could drive during his stay. They had no
problem with this - although the premium was pretty astronomical, it
went up from $50 a month to $209...big difference! But, it bought us
some time to get his Social Security number, and gave him a bit of
time to study for the written driver's test. Once we had everything
we needed, and he took and passed the tests, I called them and told
them we got married and gave them his DL info. Insurance went down to
$38!! Perhaps this wasn't the most legal way to go about things...but
it worked for us and Peter was able to drive in the interim.

And yes, if you get a real bored cop...you can get a $50 jaywalking
ticket! : )

Good luck!

Jennifer & Peter
US/NL in Portland, OR

Old Oct 21st 2002, 10:33 am
Scarlett

>But, remember. If they ASK you if you've ever jaywalked, DON'T LIE.
    >SecretGarden

HA!

Thanks for the giggle!

-=-
Scarlett

Old Oct 21st 2002, 10:46 am
L D Jones

katesuiter wrote:
[ ... ]
    > novice!!! New info pops up every day, and this site is my beacon in the
    > dark. Is anyone else totally hooked on this site???

At first I thought you had written: "This site is my bacon in the dark"
and I couldn't understand what you meant. I thought it was British slang
I hadn't heard before

btw, US bacon sucks compared to the stuff one can get in the UK

Old Oct 21st 2002, 11:47 am
Account Closed

katesuiter is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: oh, my word! what next?

Originally posted by L D Jones:

At first I thought you had written: "This site is my bacon in the dark"
and I couldn't understand what you meant. I thought it was British slang
I hadn't heard before

btw, US bacon sucks compared to the stuff one can get in the UK
Heh heh!!!! I am rather partial to a rasher or two!!!

Thanx for makin me smile, LD!!!!!! xxxx
Old Oct 21st 2002, 12:40 pm
hubbyless

Default Re: oh, my word! what next? - haha MrPink

Haha MrPink - how about this then lol

Buckingham Palace
14th November 2000

NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE

To the residents of the United States of America,

In view of your abject failure to elect a President and thus to
govern yourselves, We give hereby Notice of the Revocation of your independence, effective today at Five O'Clock Greenwich Mean Time. Her Britannic Majesty Queen
Elizabeth II will resume sovereign duties forthwith over all states, commonwealths and other territories.

Except Florida, which Shall be returned to His Illustrious Catholic Majesty, King Juan Carlos of Spain. Your new Prime Minister (The Rt Hon Tony Blair, for the 97.85% of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world outside your borders) will suggest to Her Majesty a Governor-General for America without the need for further elections.
Congress and the Senate will be disbanded.
A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.

To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:

1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium". Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary". Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed".

2. There is no such thing as "US English". We will let Microsoft know on your behalf.
3. You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It really isn't that difficult.
4. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast British actors as the good guys.
5. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen", but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you to get confused and give up half way through.
6. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour). We are hoping to get together at least an American rugby sevens side by 2005.

7. You should declare war on Quebec and France, using nuclear weapons if they give you any merde. The 98.85% of you who were not aware that there is a world outside your borders should count yourselves lucky. The Russians have never been the bad guys. "Merde" is French for "shit".

8. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 8th will be a new national holiday, but only in the British Empire. It will be called "Indecisive Day".

9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and it is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.
10. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Welcome Back.

Originally posted by mrpink:

that'll be one of the first laws to get dropped when we get America back under English rule (for your own protection, of course!)

Last edited by hubbyless; Oct 21st 2002 at 12:53 pm.

Old Oct 21st 2002, 1:39 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Scarlett:
    >But, remember. If they ASK you if you've ever jaywalked, DON'T LIE.
    >SecretGarden

HA!

Thanks for the giggle!

-=-
Scarlett
Well, we wouldn't want to become suspect in any way, would we? Hehe!
SecretGarden
Old Oct 21st 2002, 1:47 pm
The Missus

Originally posted by hubbyless:
Haha MrPink - how about this then lol

Buckingham Palace
14th November 2000
NOTICE OF REVOCATION OF INDEPENDENCE
To the residents of the United States of America,
In view of your abject failure to elect a President and thus to
govern yourselves, We give hereby Notice of the Revocation of your independence, effective today at Five O'Clock Greenwich Mean Time. Her Britannic Majesty Queen
Elizabeth II will resume sovereign duties forthwith over all states, commonwealths and other territories.
Except Florida, which Shall be returned to His Illustrious Catholic Majesty, King Juan Carlos of Spain. Your new Prime Minister (The Rt Hon Tony Blair, for the 97.85% of you who have until now been unaware that there is a world outside your borders) will suggest to Her Majesty a Governor-General for America without the need for further elections.
Congress and the Senate will be disbanded.
A questionnaire will be circulated next year to determine whether any of you noticed.
To aid in the transition to a British Crown Dependency, the following rules are introduced with immediate effect:
1. You should look up "revocation" in the Oxford English Dictionary. Then look up "aluminium". Check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it. Generally, you should raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels. Look up "vocabulary". Using the same twenty seven words interspersed with filler noises such as "like" and "you know" is an unacceptable and inefficient form of communication. Look up "interspersed".
2. There is no such thing as "US English". We will let Microsoft know on your behalf.
3. You should learn to distinguish the English and Australian accents. It really isn't that difficult.
4. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast British actors as the good guys.
5. You should relearn your original national anthem, "God Save The Queen", but only after fully carrying out task 1. We would not want you to get confused and give up half way through.
6. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game. Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full kevlar body armour). We are hoping to get together at least an American rugby sevens side by 2005.
7. You should declare war on Quebec and France, using nuclear weapons if they give you any merde. The 98.85% of you who were not aware that there is a world outside your borders should count yourselves lucky. The Russians have never been the bad guys. "Merde" is French for "shit".
8. July 4th is no longer a public holiday. November 8th will be a new national holiday, but only in the British Empire. It will be called "Indecisive Day".
9. All American cars are hereby banned. They are crap and it is for your own good. When we show you German cars, you will understand what we mean.
10. Please tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us crazy.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Welcome Back.

To My Dearest Mr. Pink,
Look, darling, what you've started! *sigh*. I do believe you've met your imperialist match in Hubbyless, however! I do suspect, however, that you might take issue with #9 above, no?
SecretGarden
P.S. I'll learn how to pronounce "al-you-MIN-ee-um" correctly if you will please start practicing "schedule" and put in some Rs at the midpoint and end of words here and there. Deal?
Old Oct 21st 2002, 1:54 pm
Georgesgirl35

Hi,
If i were you i would get an international driving licence. In England they
were (last time i was there anyhow) being issued by the post office. It used to
be the AA but since theyre offices are mainly shut the post office do it now.
You just need your english driving licence and a passport photo and it was
about 12 pounds.
As for a licence in the USA i was lucky my state doesnt require SS numbers
although i do have one now.
Most states do so just get an EAD asap and then you can get one too.
Look at your states DMV site and see how long after residence you have to get a
local licence.usually 30-60 days so you have a little driving on your
international licence.
I know my husbands insurance company wanted an international licence.
as for driving in the US theres very little difference just remember you CAN
turn right on a red light unless it says otherwise on the road sign (after 2
yrs i still cant get used to that LOL)
good luck

Old Oct 22nd 2002, 6:32 am
hubbyless

hehe SecretGarden my USC Hubby sent me that joke.

Originally posted by SecretGarden:

To My Dearest Mr. Pink,
Look, darling, what you've started! *sigh*. I do believe you've met your imperialist match in Hubbyless, however! I do suspect, however, that you might take issue with #9 above, no?
SecretGarden
P.S. I'll learn how to pronounce "al-you-MIN-ee-um" correctly if you will please start practicing "schedule" and put in some Rs at the midpoint and end of words here and there. Deal?

Old Oct 22nd 2002, 7:03 am
The Missus

Originally posted by hubbyless:
hehe SecretGarden my USC Hubby sent me that joke.

Wow, I guess we USCs DO have a sense of humo(u)r after all! Hmm....I notice that Mr. Pink is strangely silent......lol
SecretGarden

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.