Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

oh my word... leaving the UK in FIVE DAYS!!!

oh my word... leaving the UK in FIVE DAYS!!!

Old Jul 14th 2014, 8:29 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: oh my word... leaving the UK in FIVE DAYS!!!

having seen your comment in the other thread about tenant - thought id add this.

if you have left any 'extra' appliances behind for the tenants - make sure the agents marks that as such on the inventory. ie we left a tumble dryer that was virtually unused because it wasnt worth taking. agency added it to the inventory so when the tenants broke it - we had to replace it as it was 'part pf the offer'. So make sure its clear that any extras (beyond the fitted stuff like stove and fridge and washing machine etc that you would expect to repair/replace) are not marked as non-replaceable on the inventory (or give it all away and before so it never hits the inventory in the first place).

we even had the tenant break the kettle - but managed to negotiate we would just remove said kettle from the inventory and they would buy their own - but it was just more hassle we could have avoided.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 9:05 pm
Banned

Golden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond reputeGolden Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting
Old Jul 16th 2014, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

I just posted this on a thread asking the same..

Take lots of pictures of the areas around you.
Take pictures with people you love.
Eat as much good cheese, sausage and good bacon. Oh and lamb!
Enjoy all the sandwiches from Marks and Sparks, Pret etc
Enjoy all the 'English' cultural stuff.

Good luck!
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

MrsMouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lilly77

I know exactly how you are feeling. We have just gone through that, it was amazing how many times people wanted to say goodbye. It didn't matter how well organised I was, there was always a list of things that still needed to be done. I found that large glasses of wine, every night, was the solution!

MsElui - The tenants moved into our house before we left and broke the shower head off in the first day!! Then drilled a hole through our wall and fitted a 6ft pole for their sky dish to our conservatory. Thankfully we were still there and could sort it with the agent - I only hope its worth the hassle.

yukichon is spot on though - you wait till you get here. Your head will spin!!! I have been in Houston for just over a week and the paperwork and bureaucracy is mind-numbing.

Don't even get me started on how ridiculous the cost of a mobile phone is......
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsMouse
.... Don't even get me started on how ridiculous the cost of a mobile phone is......
You need to think of being charged not for minutes or months, but for square miles. .... A lot more cell towers are required to cover the US than the UK, which is only approximately the same size as VA and NC.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 9:45 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - 5 days has been and gone. We're all dying to know how much you consumed. At least 5 curries, right?
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 12:44 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MrsMouse
Hi Lilly77

yukichon is spot on though - you wait till you get here. Your head will spin!!! I have been in Houston for just over a week and the paperwork and bureaucracy is mind-numbing.

Don't even get me started on how ridiculous the cost of a mobile phone is......
So true. It's not the tariffs so much but the actual phones! Just got an iPhone 5s for our daughter, and they charged $650 bl***y dollars for it. As a piece of advise, T-mobile are offering a great family deal, I got 3 phones all inclusive, 3gb each, plus data paw when abroad and insurance for $150pm which isn't too bad.
I've found the process of buying a whole new life very tedious, it's seems like we are forever finding more things we need to but for the house
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 2:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
...., it's seems like we are forever finding more things we need to but for the house
It never ends, it just doesn't. Random things seem to break or stop working for no obvious reason.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 2:24 pm
dodgin' the potholes

1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute1206butler has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck with your move! We are also moving over to the US at the end of August. The anxiety is slowly building. We had our first "goodbye get-together shindig" at the weekend. SO MUCH TO DO THOUGH IT'S UNREAL!! :-o
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:10 am
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone, well, we're in LA!!! Finding it quite stressful driving around trying to view apartments/houses with 2 kids in tow.
Re phone tarrifs, I have my UK iphone which I THOUGHT was unlocked but isn't, so I need to unlock it now. but the tarrifs I found pretty good - with T Mobile you can buy a rolling month by month tarrif for $50 a month unlimited calls/texts and 1GB cell data, which is what we're going to do. If we upgrade to contract I think will be pretty expensive by the sounds of it.
Only just got over the jetlag - so much to do though. We still feel like we're on holiday here, I guess we'll settle in and feel like this is 'home' and we find a place to live, and when our furniture arrives.
Loving the weather though!!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:17 am
California Dreamin

Lilly77 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh and by the way, the last 5 days in the uk were HELL!!!! I've never looked so forward to a plane journey in my life!! Very stressful, constant insomnia, kids all over the place. And having to bin loads of items we didn't sell or ship. I really REALLY wish we had sorted everything sooner so that we could have the last 5 days of London and spend it eating curries, seeing friends and visiting places we'd miss.
Anyway we're here now, not homesick - just a lot of things to overcome before we relax!!

BTW, we're off to the social security office tomorrow, so if anyone could give us any tips on what happens there ;-)
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 3:57 am
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

Wait until you go to the DMV ....they are a right miserable bunch
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! Did you find a place?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by yukichon
Wait until you go to the DMV ......
You'll also be waiting after you arrive at the DMV!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.