Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Oh my goodness, moving to CT TODAY!!!!

Wikiposts

Oh my goodness, moving to CT TODAY!!!!

Old Sep 21st 2010, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh my goodness, moving to CT TODAY!!!!

Originally Posted by lazza
I did my "Driving safely in Connecticut" course this weekend. It was a painful experience but I now have the all important yellow slip which will allow me to take my test. I went to Buffington's in Norwalk and the ladies running it were OK. One of them reminded me of Marge's aunties off of the Simpsons, but it wasn't preachy in any way, just telling us what is written in the manual, which is incredibly annoying, as I feel I could have read it, but 12 out of 15 in the group had never had a licence before, and they told us that CT has the worst driving record of the entire US, so as an additional safety measure, I can see why they've introduced it. What I don't understand is why French and German people are excempt? They may drive on the same side of the road and car, but the laws are still different, and I don't think they have many places that experience the same amount of snow as CT. Anyway, rant over, weekend ruined, but that's the only time I have to take it I guess.
I know exactly how you feel. You now have the computer multiple choice test and your "driving test" to look forward to. Good luck with both
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, as a driver I think that is a great idea!
Me too. It amazes me that our 2 great "Nations" couldn't do some swap ideas with road improvements. My pluses here are free right turn, 4-way stop - and my negatives are the way, (in Washington anyway) pedestrians have total right of way; they step out without a care in the world when drivers have so much to keep their eyes on as it is. And children are not taught the way we were, that's for sure.
Also, I am amazed at the state of some of the cars on the road here, they would never pass the MOT back home. My American husband thinks the MOT should be employed here.
Overall I do love driving in the USA. I never had to go to "driving school" here, but both tests were a synch. The examiner cut me a little slack I'm sure, knowing I had been driving for a few years aleady back home.
He said - his job wasn't to fail me.
Getting a car was best thing for me, being stuck in the countryside as I am and I just love driving here.
So, good luck to everyone who has yet to get their US license.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:32 am
Banned

Stirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by keaki80
pedestrians have total right of way; they step out without a care in the world when drivers have so much to keep their eyes on as it is.
That's why they call them pedestrians because they go on foot. Derived from the Latin word for foot. Too bad pedestrians, like me, can't fly over the intersections, it would save you a lot of trouble wouldn't it?
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

keaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of lightkeaki80 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stirchley
That's why they call them pedestrians because they go on foot. Derived from the Latin word for foot. Too bad pedestrians, like me, can't fly over the intersections, it would save you a lot of trouble wouldn't it?
My my, what a comment. Pedestrians, in any country, should surely check if the road is safe to cross.. cross when the sign says it is safe to, or cross at designated places. Pedestrians here tend to cross wherever they like, without checking, while on cell-phones and without any thought or due attention. You did not need to take such an attitude. I didn't learn to drive until I was 45 and was a pedestrian up until then - and on numerous occasions since then, as I actually like to walk. But I would not dream of stepping into a road until it is safe to do so - and that was my point.