Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Oh my goodness, moving to CT TODAY!!!!

Wikiposts

Oh my goodness, moving to CT TODAY!!!!

Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh my goodness, moving to CT TODAY!!!!

Originally Posted by lazza
I decided to give Buffington's Driving School in Norwalk a go. I was going to go to High Ridge, but after ErickK's advice, I thought I'd try somewhere else. I'm then going to use Major Driving School for the test. I'll post my thoughts afterwards...
Good luck!!!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:53 am
Banned

Stirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to all

will shortly be living in Stamford
Connecticut is a snooze, but you'll find the best thing about living in Stamford is that you are very close to New York City.
Old Sep 19th 2010, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

lazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nicelazza is just really nice

I did my "Driving safely in Connecticut" course this weekend. It was a painful experience but I now have the all important yellow slip which will allow me to take my test. I went to Buffington's in Norwalk and the ladies running it were OK. One of them reminded me of Marge's aunties off of the Simpsons, but it wasn't preachy in any way, just telling us what is written in the manual, which is incredibly annoying, as I feel I could have read it, but 12 out of 15 in the group had never had a licence before, and they told us that CT has the worst driving record of the entire US, so as an additional safety measure, I can see why they've introduced it. What I don't understand is why French and German people are excempt? They may drive on the same side of the road and car, but the laws are still different, and I don't think they have many places that experience the same amount of snow as CT. Anyway, rant over, weekend ruined, but that's the only time I have to take it I guess.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:04 am
London-San Fran-Vancouver

BadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud ofBadgerNaboo has much to be proud of

Not looking forward to taking my driving and motorbike test again in SF.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:06 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

they told us that CT has the worst driving record of the entire US, .
Never heard that one before! The most recent Geico survey seems to indicate that NY is the worst, but a quick Google indicates that state after state claims that "honor" -- from KS to FL -- with DC thrown in for good measure.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 3:13 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I can see why they've introduced it. What I don't understand is why French and German people are excempt?
Don't know about France, but the standard of driving in Germany is a million times better than the US (and the UK for that matter), due quite a lot to the more stringent driving test process. UK is still much better than US too though so you'd think they'd cut us a bit of slack.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Neko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud ofNeko128 has much to be proud of

There's the entire other thread on US driving tests... But honestly, most of them center around being able to reach the pedals and still see over the dashboard.

Of course, it doesn't exactly ease my mind that I know a legally blind person who passed the DMV eye test for her license, also...

Welcome to the states.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:14 am
Banned

Stirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to allStirchley is a name known to all

they told us that CT has the worst driving record of the entire US
I don't drive and I walk everywhere. In Hartford I have to have eyes in the back of my head when crossing streets. Every booby here drives and they look flabbergasted when a pedestrian wishes to cross the street. And then there's the genius who invented the "turn right on a red light" if you wish.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:20 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stirchley
And then there's the genius who invented the "turn right on a red light" if you wish.
Actually, as a driver I think that is a great idea!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Actually, as a driver I think that is a great idea!
Yikes! You're a Connecticut driver too!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:34 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Yikes! You're a Connecticut driver too!
Don't worry -- I never get into Hartford, and I learned to drive in the UK!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:49 am
Banned

Don't worry -- I never get into Hartford, and I learned to drive in the UK!
Amazing how many nutmeggers won't touch Hartford with a ten foot bargepole. I'd say they were snobs, but trying to stay positive today.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:51 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Amazing how many nutmeggers won't touch Hartford with a ten foot bargepole. I'd say they were snobs, but trying to stay positive today.
Where on earth did I say I wouldn't touch Hartford with a barge pole??? Just have no reason to go there! You're jumping to conclusions for nothing.
Old Sep 20th 2010, 7:56 am
Banned

Where on earth did I say I wouldn't touch Hartford with a barge pole??? Just have no reason to go there! You're jumping to conclusions for nothing.
Did I say you personally? I think the point I was making is that more people should come to Hartford, it would make it a better city. One of the huge problems with Hartford (one of the poorest cities in the nation) is that there is no tax base. Folks come to work here, then they drive back to wherever they live. Nobody wants to live here - they are frightened by blacks and hispanics and the level of crime. It's not a bad place to live, but you need street smarts big time and a state-of-the-art security system!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 8:02 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Did I say you personally? I think the point I was making is that more people should come to Hartford, i
The juxtaposition of your response to my quote suggested an implication! But sorry, I love to be in the wilds, so won't be joining you in the capital any time soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.