Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Oh good god I'm moving to New York.

Oh good god I'm moving to New York.

Old Mar 20th 2009, 11:44 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oh good god I'm moving to New York.

This is a help-request post.

After being bitchslapped into debt oblivion by the recession, my husband has gone and got a job in NYC.
Flushing, Queens to be exact.
We have all of one week to find a place to live.
We currently live just outside of Philly.
I've been looking on Craigslist like its my job and we're looking more at house-shares to save money as $1000+ a month for a studio is, although affordable for us now (once he gets paid) we want to pay less rent in order to chip away at the debt we were plunged into with both being laid off last year.

Any help/advice about how to even begin to look for an apartment or place to live in NYC would be very much appreciated.
As long as I'm not going to get shot when I step outside and I'm not sharing my bedroom with cockroaches and rats, I don't mind where I am.

Help me Britishexpats.com you're my only hope.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh good god I'm moving to New York.

Originally Posted by Sarah

After being bitchslapped into debt oblivion by the recession, my husband has gone and got a job in NYC.
I've been looking on Craigslist like its my job and we're looking more at house-shares to save money as $1000+ a month for a studio is, although affordable for us now (once he gets paid) we want to pay less rent in order to chip away at the debt we were plunged into with both being laid off last year.

Any help/advice about how to even begin to look for an apartment or place to live in NYC would be very much appreciated.
As long as I'm not going to get shot when I step outside and I'm not sharing my bedroom with cockroaches and rats, I don't mind where I am.

I feel for you, unfortunately I can't help you, when hubby got orders for NY, we pulled in every favor we had earned to get him out of it! Ended up in TX, which was only just better (sorry)
Good luck, I'm sure someone on here can help you out
Old Mar 21st 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah

As Philly is far more violent than NYC I would think the chances of being shot are a lot less ............. Unless you are white .... oh wait ! you are white
Old Mar 21st 2009, 2:59 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

You could always get a live in position for yourself and take the old man with you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3unWr_b2Ew
Old Mar 21st 2009, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

The market is screwed at the moment so you'll find a lot more brokers willing to find 'no fee' apartments..i.e. apartments where the landlord pays the broker fee rather than you. Are you planning on living in Flushing? Rents are falling and landlords are much more willing to do deals. Craigslist is good, but I think its better for Manhattan and Brooklyn rather than queens. I'd try and find local brokers near to where you want to live and see what they have to say. Although a budget of $1000 per month is very low no matter where you are planning on living. We live in gramercy park in Manhattan at the moment and were starting to look around for a new place to live. Were looking in yhe West Village and places that 1 year ago were way out of our range are starting to become available to us.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 3:07 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.roommates.com/?adv_id=354 This is worth a try as well, more often then not you see a photo of the person's home and information...might be worth a look.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 4:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

NYC has five boroughs: Queens, Kings, Richmond, Bronx and New York. Flushing is in Queens County but not a part of Manhattan. Will your husband be working in Manhattan or in Flushing? If you are looking to be part of communal living, I would be very very careful of craigslist. Lots of scammers out there for the NYC area in area of housing.

You don't have to limit yourself to Flushing but can look for places in other areas of Queens County or even Kings County. Brooklyn is up and coming and might give you lots more opportunity to house share.
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:47 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
NYC has five boroughs: Queens, Kings, Richmond, Bronx and New York.
officially known as the Borough of Staten Island since 1975
keep up Rete
Old Mar 21st 2009, 6:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

craigslist is probably your best bet, take over someone elses lease?

college areas might have cheaper housing too...but even a flat share, a grand a month is cheap as chips....

Good luck!
Old Mar 21st 2009, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute

NYC has five boroughs: Queens, Kings, Richmond, Bronx and New York. Flushing is in Queens County but not a part of Manhattan. Will your husband be working in Manhattan or in Flushing? If you are looking to be part of communal living, I would be very very careful of craigslist. Lots of scammers out there for the NYC area in area of housing.

You don't have to limit yourself to Flushing but can look for places in other areas of Queens County or even Kings County. Brooklyn is up and coming and might give you lots more opportunity to house share.
Dont you live in NYC? Why give someone information thats just going to confuse them?? The 5 boroughs of NYC are Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and the Bronx. I'm not sure of the history or what they all used to be called, but you must be aware of what 99.9999% of people know that 5 boroughs as. Telling people that Brooklyn is known as Kings, Manhattan is known as New York, and Staten Island is known as Richmond seems almost to be intentionally trying to be awkward.

To say that Brooklyn is 'up and coming' is just bizarre. Its such a huge area to generalise like that. Somewhere like Brookyn Heights isnt up and coming, its probably more expensive than many areas in Manhattan. If the OP is looking for affordable housing then they will have a lot more luck in Queens than in Brooklyn.

Last edited by pejpm1; Mar 21st 2009 at 9:19 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 3:49 am
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

also try looking upstate in the hudson valley area ( where i am from ) queens is only an hour via nys thruway or 684 takes you to 678 and the whitestone bridge...

rents are cheaper up this way and even though there is a commute, sometimes the commute is better ( we have trains to the city as well up here )
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:40 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

His workplace is in Flushing and seeing as he's lazy he wants to be as close to work as possible, so ideally in Flushing itself or anywhere else in Queens, but the reality is we're open to anywhere.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agentpeppermint
also try looking upstate in the hudson valley area ( where i am from ) queens is only an hour via nys thruway or 684 takes you to 678 and the whitestone bridge...

rents are cheaper up this way and even though there is a commute, sometimes the commute is better ( we have trains to the city as well up here )
If his workplace is in Flushing, I would not look at the Hudson Valley, that would not be a good commute. If I were to look outside of Queens and were commuting to Queens, I would look very carefully at the NYC subway map and pick a place based on that. Some areas of Long Island may also be a decent commute to Queens.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

We have a vacant Frieghtliner truck in Yonkers for the next few weeks

Only a three quarter bed, heating and ac etc, bring your own bedding
Or a mate of mine is selling a new Western Star truck ! ... it has fridge, microwave, two beds and is total mobile luxury .... just a little bit cramped
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 4:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
officially known as the Borough of Staten Island since 1975
keep up Rete

hehehe I have worked in Manhattan for 34 years and have never been there ... how's that for keeping up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.