Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Official Word from Pataks

Official Word from Pataks

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 11:04 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Official Word from Pataks

Just because they're Asian doesn't mean they can cook curry
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:43 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
Julie Harrison does not sound particularly like an Asian name to me, but.... you never know.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

There may be a good reason why too.. I remember hearing on LBC a few years ago, some historian saying that Curry is a dish invented by the British in India. He went on to explain that curry, in it's original form, was purely a plain old mutton stew but with local spices added to give the soldiers some kind of variety and served on rice.
I cant say whether its true or not, only what I heard. However, considering Curry is basically a spicey stew, I guess it's plausable!!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Circus-of-Power

Does that mean you hail from either Haydock/Abram or Leigh ?

Now.... time to make a curry in celebration

I hail from Wigan....but worked at the Leigh site with occasional visits to Haydock
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:31 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by broma25
I hail from Wigan....but worked at the Leigh site with occasional visits to Haydock
Ah Wigan home of the bottom six rugby league team. Were you in charge of curry pies?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:00 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
There may be a good reason why too.. I remember hearing on LBC a few years ago, some historian saying that Curry is a dish invented by the British in India. He went on to explain that curry, in it's original form, was purely a plain old mutton stew but with local spices added to give the soldiers some kind of variety and served on rice.
I cant say whether its true or not, only what I heard. However, considering Curry is basically a spicey stew, I guess it's plausable!!
I was curious about the origins of curry, so I found this:-

http://www.menumagazine.co.uk/book/curryhistory.html

THE ORIGINS OF 'CURRY'
(Is it really English?)
Most people in the world today know what a curry is - or at least think they do. In Britain the term ‘curry’ has come to mean almost any Indian dish, whilst most people from the sub-continent would say it is not a word they use, but if they did it would mean a meat, vegetable or fish dish with spicy sauce and rice or bread.

Last edited by Sue; Nov 4th 2005 at 1:27 pm. Reason: Body of article removed due to copyright issues.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:21 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Official Word from Pataks

Originally Posted by rushman
Ha ha.....when I was in India a couple of years ago it was sooo embarrassing....I didn't recognise a thing on any of the menus (in Delhi, Goa and Bombay) as the local food is so unlike any Indian food I'd eaten in the UK and Singapore! Certainly no curries as we Brits know it LOL! Just like food in Hong Kong tastes different to the Chinese food in the UK, Australia, US - it's all adapted to the local palate of the host nation and availability of local ingredients.

I find that most of the spicy food in the US, eg. Indian, Thai, Malaysian, Chinese is all toned down otherwise they'd probably never be able to stay in business! (Come to think of it though, I guess in the South where there are many Mexican restaurants/Mexican communities perhaps all ethnic food in restaurants is more highly spiced than up here in the North?)
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:24 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbark
I was curious about the origins of curry, so I found this:-
http://www.menumagazine.co.uk/book/curryhistory.html
[I]THE ORIGINS OF 'CURRY'
(Is it really English?)
]
So I guess that confirms really that Curry is an Indian in origin as Yorkshire pudding? It's only the spices used to make it that are Asian.

All those clever little brown fellows jumping on the bandwagon and making a fortune in Britain with their "counterfeit" Curry houses!!! Tut tut tut

It does make sense though, it is afterall, basically a stew with some spice in it right?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 2:03 pm
Not dead yet

Worse than having football,cricket and rugby taken away by johnny foreigner. Time we gave them a good thrashing,what?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:58 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

I once read that the curries us Brits know and love are actually more Pakistani.

And BTW, am I the only person around here that doesn't actually like Pataks? Maybe I make it wrong.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:18 pm
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by tinaflorida
I once read that the curries us Brits know and love are actually more Pakistani.

And BTW, am I the only person around here that doesn't actually like Pataks? Maybe I make it wrong.

No it never gets through our door, My wife worked on quality control at Pataks :scared: nuff said.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

broma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nicebroma25 is just really nice

No it never gets through our door, My wife worked on quality control at Pataks :scared: nuff said.

Which Pataks did she work at, I may know her??
Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:57 pm
Not dead yet

Which Pataks did she work at, I may know her??
Haven't got a clue to be honest I always thought there was only one, it was just after they opened and not for very long. Long before we got together.
Old Nov 5th 2005, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Haven't got a clue to be honest I always thought there was only one, it was just after they opened and not for very long. Long before we got together.

So i guess she is from my neck of the woods then??
Old Nov 5th 2005, 2:53 am
Not dead yet

So i guess she is from my neck of the woods then??
Behave shes a Sintelliner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.