Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Official Introduction!

Official Introduction!

Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all
Default Official Introduction!

Just thought it was about time I introduced myself properly as I've been hi-jacking the forum when I need to know something about life here (cheers for all the help so far!), and I'm now getting addicted to the site!

Moved from Glasgow to Irvine in California in May with my husband G's job relocation. His company won a couple of big contracts over here and asked for a volunteer to come over for a few years - it was a tough choice between 364 days of rain and all the 'joys' that living in Glasgow brings or 364 days of sunshine and the odd earthquake!

Loving it here so far, but missing the bars and ability to go to the pub and not having to stay sober to drive home! Would say I'm missing friends but since most of them have already been over to visit we've not had a chance to get homesick yet! On L2 visa and just received work auth so the joys of job hunting in the USA are about to commence!

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi and look forward to some good chat with you all!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Official Introduction!

Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
Loving it here so far, but missing the bars and ability to go to the pub and not having to stay sober to drive home!
That guilty feeling seems to go away after you become truly Americanised.

Anyway welcome ; there are plenty of people on here from California, however they are all slightly mad

Last edited by anotherlimey; Nov 17th 2005 at 4:04 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey

Anyway welcome ; there are plenty of people on here from California, however they are all slightly mad.

welcome to the forums and welcome to california - trust me when I say your departure from glasgow will seem all too real once you try to purchase a home
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Glasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to allGlasgowgirl is a name known to all

Anyway welcome ; there are plenty of people on here from California, however they are all slightly mad

I'll fit in well then! Thanks for the welcome.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by USBound
welcome to the forums and welcome to california - trust me when I say your departure from glasgow will seem all too real once you try to purchase a home
Found out that joy already - decided that we are just going to rent an apartment here and let someone else worry about earthquake insurance! Got a couple of flats back in Scotland that are being rented out while we're here so not too worried about not being on the property ladder here. Still can't believe the cost of rent here though and we've been kindly told by a local that we are living in 'low income housing' in Irvine (pool, gyms and our apartment is brand new - love to see their faces at seeing the 'low income' housing in Scotland!). Thanks for the welcome!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

T... there are plenty of people on here from California, however they are all slightly mad
True, except me, of course!

Hi, Glasgowgirl - and welcome to the madhouse!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Just thought it was about time I introduced myself properly as I've been hi-jacking the forum when I need to know something about life here (cheers for all the help so far!), and I'm now getting addicted to the site!

Moved from Glasgow to Irvine in California in May with my husband G's job relocation. His company won a couple of big contracts over here and asked for a volunteer to come over for a few years - it was a tough choice between 364 days of rain and all the 'joys' that living in Glasgow brings or 364 days of sunshine and the odd earthquake!

Loving it here so far, but missing the bars and ability to go to the pub and not having to stay sober to drive home! Would say I'm missing friends but since most of them have already been over to visit we've not had a chance to get homesick yet! On L2 visa and just received work auth so the joys of job hunting in the USA are about to commence!

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi and look forward to some good chat with you all!

Hello and Welcome Glasgowgirl. I'm in OC too - down in Lake Forest! Welcome to the neighbourhood!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 4:57 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, from Brum but family is Northern Irish........ which is like Scottish but better
Old Nov 17th 2005, 5:03 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Glasgowgirl.nice to see someome from the old country.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 5:08 pm
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome .. we (me and the wife Woodsey) are just up the I57 ..I work in Irivine sometimes - any questions let us know !
Old Nov 17th 2005, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi and welcome! We need more mad people :scared:
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to the forum...yay more people to talk to
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:27 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Hello, from Brum but family is Northern Irish........ which is like Scottish but better
If that was a blatant attempt to get karma from any Norn Irish on the forum its worked on me
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lionheart
I'll give you that the Northern Irish are on a par with us Scots, but not better!

I keep getting mistaken for Irish with my accent - which is a big improvement on getting told by an American taxi driver that I'd get on just fine living here because I spoke really good english for someone from Scotland....

Good to meet you all!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 7:52 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give you that the Northern Irish are on a par with us Scots, but not better!

I keep getting mistaken for Irish with my accent - which is a big improvement on getting told by an American taxi driver that I'd get on just fine living here because I spoke really good english for someone from Scotland....

Good to meet you all!
It's not a first for us & it certainly won't be the last!!! Apparently English people speak something other than English!!! Although if asked, they are not sure what language that would be!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.