Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Office (US Style)- Will You Watch It?

Wikiposts

The Office (US Style)- Will You Watch It?

Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Office (US Style)- Will You Watch It?

Originally Posted by britvic
It was painfull to watch. there is another rerun of the Office on Saturday on BBC America 12 to 4.
I'm with you, painful definitely sums it up. I'll be sticking with Ricky!
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:59 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Welll..... they were pretty faithful to the original, ... and they didn't even manage to make me cringe once.
That just about sums it up for me too.

I mean: what IS the point of The Office if it DOESN'T MAKE YOU CRINGE???!!!

Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'll still give it a couple episodes before I'll commit to not bothering with it, especially if there supposed to be different...
Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:34 am
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The American remake of the Office is on this evening. Who'll be watching it?

I've never seen the British version but I will try and watch the opening episode of the American version.

I have read reviews of the US version but I'm not saying anything...

NC Penguin

Why cant they just show the original British version ? Im sure there must be SOME americans with a dry sense of humour !!

and why they keep taking our shows and changing them prooves theres no writing talent in US TV !
(except for Larry David and Seinfeld)
Old Mar 25th 2005, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
That just about sums it up for me too.

I mean: what IS the point of The Office if it DOESN'T MAKE YOU CRINGE???!!!

Oh I'd think the American version of The Office would make me cringe..the American version of Coupling did. That was painful enough....think I'll pass on this one.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 3:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callowman
Why cant they just show the original British version ? Im sure there must be SOME americans with a dry sense of humour !!
They do, on BBCA...
Old Mar 25th 2005, 3:42 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Oh I'd think the American version of The Office would make me cringe..the American version of Coupling did. That was painful enough....think I'll pass on this one.
not the coupling remake was especially a bad one...
Old Mar 25th 2005, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

and why they keep taking our shows and changing them prooves theres no writing talent in US TV !

We do likewise in the UK - we tried to copy 'Married with Children' and made a complete hash of it!

The US tried to copy 'Ab Fab' and made a complete hash of that - whoever thought Sharon Stone could play Patsy and Roseanne Barr play Edina must have had a screw loose! Hmmm, I think it was Roseanne Barr that bought the rights?

I bought The Office on DVD cus I liked it so much - didn't bother watching the US remake as I figured it wouldn't be any good anyway.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 6:19 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I know most of you probably hated it, but I thought they did a decent job. Nowhere near as big a sell-out as I'd expected. Yeah, he's not Ricky, but he did a credible job. Besides, Ricky's cringe factor would have killed it for certain over here. We'll see.....
Old Mar 25th 2005, 7:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Well, I know most of you probably hated it, but I thought they did a decent job. Nowhere near as big a sell-out as I'd expected. Yeah, he's not Ricky, but he did a credible job. Besides, Ricky's cringe factor would have killed it for certain over here. We'll see.....
The pace was missing, a very important factor of the original.

I thought thay should have americanised it more, but that is all down to taste.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 11:53 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Mark and I are HUGE fans of "The Office" so we were very excited -- and curious -- about the US version coming out. We watched it Thursday night and here is our mutual opinion of it:

Watching the US version of "The Office" after seeing the original UK version is like going to see a fantastic play on Broadway and then, six months later, seeing the same play performed by a local theatre group in your hometown.

You already know the characters. You already know the plot. You even know the dialogue and what will happen in certain scenes. There's no spontaneity, no surprise, only predictability. And hence, no "cringe factor".

In trying to "Americanize" it, they made it seem more like a knock-off than anything else. The names, for instance: Michael Scott instead of David Brent (both have first names as surnames); Jim instead of Tim; Dunder Mifflin instead of Wernham Hogg. In addition, they'll have to really change the storyline from the original if they want it to last more than a couple of years!

All that said, we still enjoyed it. We didn't crack up every 30 seconds like we usually do when watching the original, but it was still pretty ok. We're trying to keep an open mind about it, since usually the premiere episode of any tv show can be sort of rough. I love "Seinfeld" but I probably wouldn't have become such a big fan if I had only seen the first few episodes -- they were horrible!

~ Jenney
Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the US version of Till Death do us Part was very good.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 12:38 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

Watching the US version of "The Office" after seeing the original UK version is like going to see a fantastic play on Broadway and then, six months later, seeing the same play performed by a local theatre group in your hometown.

~ Jenney
That's spot on for most of us here, but for the majority of people watching it on NBC, it's the first time they've seen The Office. BBCA has a very small viewer base compared to NBC. Could prove a hit...if people are willing to accept the different formula.
Old Mar 26th 2005, 10:18 am
Going home at last

dragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to alldragonfly is a name known to all
Thumbs down Re: The Office (US Style)- Will You Watch It?

:scared: We watched the American version of the office it was utter rubbish give me the British version any day Ricky is so funny
Old Mar 27th 2005, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

when ever the us decide to remake a british comedy they make an utter balls up of it......the office is quickly becoming a classic....in fact we were watching it last night!......ricky gervais is a star in his own right....what next pheonix nights set in LA.....