Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Office (US Style)- Will You Watch It?

Wikiposts

The Office (US Style)- Will You Watch It?

Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Office (US Style)- Will You Watch It?

I saw a preview of it and halfway through was thought "that sounds familiar. Why?" Then at the end I almost fell out of my chair. It's one thing to do a remake, but completely not ok to change the content, the characters and everything else that made it a great film!
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

UJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant futureUJ_99 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boiler
Its on the local ABC tonight, all set to record, yes the original had to some real cringe moments, but I can think of some real life analogies unfortunately.

I saw an interview with Gervais when he was asked about selling out, he pointed out that ABC had paid them a lot of money
It's actually on NBC....
Old Mar 24th 2005, 8:52 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the original was funny as ****, but none of my US friends / rellies could bear to cringe their ways through the squirmy parts, so they refused to watch. Their loss.

Will certainly watch the US version -- the whole premise of the original was to do it as if it were a documentary (without commentary).

If you watch _Office Space_ (the movie) and _Slacker_, both filmed here in Austin, you have a pretty darned accurate view of work (and skiving off work) in Austin, Texas.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:22 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I thought the original was funny as ****, but none of my US friends / rellies could bear to cringe their ways through the squirmy parts, so they refused to watch. Their loss.

Will certainly watch the US version -- the whole premise of the original was to do it as if it were a documentary (without commentary).

If you watch _Office Space_ (the movie) and _Slacker_, both filmed here in Austin, you have a pretty darned accurate view of work (and skiving off work) in Austin, Texas.
Saw the lead guy being interviewed by Matt Lauer on Today, this moring. Matt pointed out the fact that there is no canned laughter and that must be a problem. He said "people generally need to be told when to laugh" I soooo wanted him to reply - "they must be ******* stupid then" ...but he was more diplomatic than that.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 10:37 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

How about closed captioning for the humour impaired -- it'd read "LAUGH YOU STUPID BASTARDS"
Old Mar 24th 2005, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Well there goes the first 1/3. I get the jokes but I'm still not laughing.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:11 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

Can't wait to buy a multi-region DVD player so we can watch the original!! <sigh>
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvjenno
Can't wait to buy a multi-region DVD player so we can watch the original!! <sigh>
why? just tune into BBC America and it'll probably be on.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:17 pm
~ Mr & Mrs ~

mvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant futuremvjenno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Manc
Unfortunately we're stuck with our apartment's 'extended cable' package and that's not offered. With 80 channels, there's not a lot to watch...usually end up listening to Radio 2 on the net!
Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
and probably doing the rounds on a few torrent sites like uk nova...
but multi region players can be had for as little as $30 and a quick remote fiddle...
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mvjenno
Or you could just by the region 1 DVD's if you have a player that isn't multiregion.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:18 pm
Lapine Member

Welll..... they were pretty faithful to the original, though in no way are Ricky Gervais' boots even half-filled. Being faithful to the original though meant I already knew what was going to happen, and they didn't even manage to make me cringe once.

Be interesting to see what t'other (non-BBC watching) Yanks think of it.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 5:39 pm
In the UK

Careybear will become famous soon enough

I didn't watch it pretty much because we didn't really like the original. Especially Paul didn't (the UK half) he thought it was stupid. I think I've watched a few more episodes then him and they were alright but nothing to write home about.

Carey
Old Mar 25th 2005, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

It was painfull to watch. there is another rerun of the Office on Saturday on BBC America 12 to 4.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Welll..... they were pretty faithful to the original, though in no way are Ricky Gervais' boots even half-filled. Being faithful to the original though meant I already knew what was going to happen, and they didn't even manage to make me cringe once.

Be interesting to see what t'other (non-BBC watching) Yanks think of it.
I thought it was pretty good, but it is difficult to watch without thinking of the UK characters, especially as it was basically the same story.

It is only supposed to be the first episode that is the same, after that they should be different. I thought the clip for next weeks episode looks promising so will keep watching....unless it gets canned!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.