Reload this Page >

Office Politics: US vs UK

Office Politics: US vs UK

Old May 18th 2015, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Jambodj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Office Politics: US vs UK

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
If I had people under me, bitching would not work at all. Constructive complaints would though, if someone was genuinely trying to **** the company (as I know there are people here doing that). That being said, if the powers that be start listening to me, I'll have people under me to the point where I can start fixing what went wrong since I left my former position.

Sadly, far too many people subscribe to the 'squeaky wheel gets the grease' way of thinking when in reality it's 'empty vessels rattle loudest'.

Couldnt put it better. It is quite a sensitive area the bitching as im sure some of it is boredom but i am biting my tongue at the moment!
Old May 18th 2015, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I just avoid working in an office, but admin drama still seeps out into the front lines.
Old May 18th 2015, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

LotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, after starting this thread I just had a most infuriating meeting.

There is a guy who has made it obvious he is going to be my nemesis.
His boss set up a meeting with an "unclear agenda" - I had asked what the topics were but got no answer. So the meeting happens today, and it was basically an open snitch /complaint session on me. This is after I had asked him privately a couple of weeks ago if he had any frustrations (due to his body language) but he said nothing to my face.
I also come across a lot of "rebuttal".

We had a new manager join our team in Jan, and there was moaning in the team because of various reasons - they thought he was friends with the associate director, he didn't have enough experience etc.
3 of the members have decided to give him such a tough time. In our team meeting last week, one woman was completely disrespectful to him - basically trying to undermine him and it seemed pre-planned.
In my 22 years of working in the UK, I've never seen anything like that.
Old May 18th 2015, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

The worst office politics I've experienced was at Cap Gemini in London.

Second worst was my last employer in Maine. (Won't name them in case I need to go back at some point.)
Old May 20th 2015, 1:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Fake it till you make it, approach seems pretty rife where I am and what I've experienced.

The watercooler kind of back stabbing and politics just seem far more brutal than what I experienced in the UK, where it just wouldn't work because everyone went to the pub after work and you'd get called out on the BS after a couple pints, so complaints were far more direct and taken at face value.

One thing that seems consistent, everyone blames all the ills and inefficiency on the last person to leave the company though
Old May 20th 2015, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen worse in the UK, although that was probably because my UK jobs involved more low paid high-stress work, so people used to bitch to let off steam. They bitched about whoever wasn't in the office at that moment, and it was constant. Even the nice guys got stabbed in the back. I wonder what they said about me, since I just refused to talk to them most of the time due to it. I got on better with the guys who could barely speak English.
Old May 20th 2015, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LotusEater33
Been over here about 9 months now.

The office politics I'm witnessing in work is way worse than what I've seen back home. It's like bloody teenage tantrum stuff.

What are your opinions?
I don't think you can extrapolate anecdotal experiences to an entire country. It really does depend on the people you are working with.

One thing that I have noticed in my US jobs, is a general desire not to say anything negative or controversial. I work on a project team here in the US that also has team members in the UK. When we have project status meetings, the UK people tell it straight exactly like it is - warts and all. The US folks tend to skirt around issues and be overly optimistic as if having bad news to tell is somehow a trait that will affect their career.
Old May 20th 2015, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

IlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond reputeIlAlfie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I don't think you can extrapolate anecdotal experiences to an entire country. It really does depend on the people you are working with.

One thing that I have noticed in my US jobs, is a general desire not to say anything negative or controversial. I work on a project team here in the US that also has team members in the UK. When we have project status meetings, the UK people tell it straight exactly like it is - warts and all. The US folks tend to skirt around issues and be overly optimistic as if having bad news to tell is somehow a trait that will affect their career.
This! There are 6 or 7 Brits in a team of about 40 so I'm not alone but I do find that people can be very optimistic and/or hiding their true feelings on something. I've been frustrated by a lot byzantine operational stuff which I've called out here and there. Nothing terribly serious but just a lot of inefficiency (it IS a university, after all). Most people agree with me but I don't think being the one calling it out and trying to fix it is always seen positively. My boss thinks it's healthy and has been grateful as it's been going on for years and the British big boss is quite keen and encouraging me but I do get the impression that a lot of the Americans think you should just keep it to yourself.
Old May 20th 2015, 11:24 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

I had a few jobs in the same company in the US and experienced everything from total backstabbing to absolutely none, however the best job was with immigrants. One group were all new hires and absolutely determined to ensure they were the only survivor even though there could have been opportunities for everyone, and in the end all but one was "sacked".
Old May 22nd 2015, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

LotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I've witnessed a lot of this, kind of "elephant in the room" syndrome in some meetings.
Old May 22nd 2015, 12:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I've seen worse in the UK, although that was probably because my UK jobs involved more low paid high-stress work, so people used to bitch to let off steam. They bitched about whoever wasn't in the office at that moment, and it was constant. Even the nice guys got stabbed in the back. I wonder what they said about me, since I just refused to talk to them most of the time due to it. I got on better with the guys who could barely speak English.
My co-workers don't like me because I make them look bad...lol

Not my fault they don't understand their job.
Old May 27th 2015, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

We have infighting and falling outs, but no more than a typical office. I have very close working relationships with many people here. Anyone who was really trying to start something wouldn't last long; it's not how the West really works in my experience.

I have noticed that a lot of what passes for typical office banter in the UK would be viewed as harassment (racial, sexual etc.) here and would be frowned upon. Don't think it would escalate to an HR intervention as we like to take care of things ourselves when possible, but it would be discouraged by supervisors.
Old May 28th 2015, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct but you have yet to see all of it yet. Over here people get fired in the UK people get passed over for promotion.

Obviously it depends on the company but that is what I have noticed the most.

Originally Posted by LotusEater33
Been over here about 9 months now.

The office politics I'm witnessing in work is way worse than what I've seen back home. It's like bloody teenage tantrum stuff.

What are your opinions?
Old May 28th 2015, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Been there, done that, just watch your back because the blades will be coming!

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My co-workers don't like me because I make them look bad...lol

Not my fault they don't understand their job.
Old May 28th 2015, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to allFred16 is a name known to all

Few things made me laugh
Meetings
There was a daily meeting for each team
First meeting 1000-1015
Next 1015-1030

Second meeting staff would gather outside the meeting room and would do nothing if first meeting overrun, even if half an hour.

What are waiting here for, doing nothing
Can we discuss things here
No meetings have to be discussed in the meeting room
Its the procedure
Not as if it was top secret stuff

Worse if a Monday during NFL season, meeting would be taken up by fantasy football more than work

I agree they dont like telling as it is

A new IT internal software was being installed that was terrible, with no search facility and ugly interface, that was replacing a fully searchable database, that is used to help solve problems

Showed my 6 year old and he laughed, told US IT this, told further people above my pay grade and was told, decision made, deal with it and dont get involved in things that dont concearn you

2 years later after $$$$$$ in investment was taken out and replaced with the software that had a search facilty

Little off topic
When I first called customer in US, I said give me 5 mins to get a brew ( tea to me) and we will continue
Customer called manager wanting to know why i went for a beer!

Lunch times are sooooooo boring!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.