Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Offer of a job in Virginia

Offer of a job in Virginia

Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:16 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offer of a job in Virginia

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
A former GA of mine got his PhD at Miami University. Excellent school.

Ian
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yep, mine too. I'm actually pushing my HS senior to consider doing a gap year - her exchange student stint in Japan this past summer means that she missed out on going to a lot of uni open houses. She wants me to take her to visit more unis, but I can't afford the time off work. If her father would pay, I'd gladly take her (he's loaded).

She now wants to go to Georgia (Tbilisi, not Atlanta) over spring break but that means missing out on another opportunity to visit unis. I think that taking the year out to really travel to see unis and focus SOLELY on picking the right one, might be well worth it. I did a gap year long before I'd even heard of them (graduated HS at 16, wanted to grow up a bit before moving off) and it was the best thing I ever did.

Same daughter is sitting the ACT in the morning. This is all very nail-biting stuff.
I was wondering how she got on in Japan - sounds like things went well

My son would benefit from a gap year, but it also seems like things could drag on forever with him that way, the attraction of a British uni is get in there, get to grips with what he wants to do immediately and be done in 3 years.

Good luck with it all.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

martian1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks seanVA helpful comment

"I lived in VA for quite some time it is awsome."
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:58 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martian1
Thanks seanVA helpful comment

"I lived in VA for quite some time it is awsome."
Before you judge him too harshly, check out his other posts.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 2:03 am
Just Joined

oh..right a muppet. due to visit soon then if all works out i will be over january

Last edited by martian1; Oct 8th 2010 at 2:05 am.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Well i made the move and have been here 2 weeks. I have been that busy i don't know if i like it or not i live off hull st in midlothian what a fun road to drive for a novice
Take some getting used to the drive into work every day at the moment i have not got any rose tinted glasses on regarding the place i pretty much knew what i was letting myself in for thanks to these forums
I hope things settle a little with work and i manage to iron some of the glitches out with a move of this type this bank holiday i have been stressed due to money issues causing my family grief in the uk i am on me todd till april when they get to come out and see me.
Hope things settle and things improve along with the weather time will tell
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Cal 74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the 'Monde' !
It's really not that bad here - although the vista from Hull Street / Midlothian Turnpike might suggest otherwise.

There are quite a few Brits here and couple of good-ish pubs too. Feel free to ask / PM if you have any questions about everyday life as - 3+ years and I still have to ask "can you tell me..." sometimes.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 2:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks cal we are trying to find a decent place to hang out the weekend (few beers) must be close to our appartments we live neer the kroger store off hul st i think cracker barrel is near us as well, the reason for this is m8ts wife doing the driving to pick us up so we don't want her driving to far.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

katybluewater is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to Virginia Martian1. We moved over here in July 2009 - like you on a 2 year contract - but after a year liked it so much, the company sponsored us all for GC at the beginning of the year and we got them in May. We have 2 girls who are finishing studying in the UK, and then they will come and work here - they cant wait. We have a 21 year old who is now working and beginning to make some fab friends, and a 7 year old in school here. All in all, I think we have a better quality of life here - you shouldnt try to compare everything with the UK - we may speak the same language ( ish!) but it ios a totally different culture. We have rented our UK house out at the moment, and are renting a house here. Now the big dilemma is, do we sell our UK house and buy one here - we cant afford to buy in the US without selling in the UK .....thats the scary thing, hoping you make the right decision! Let me know if I can help you on anything else about living in Virginia - we are in the Tysons , McLean area.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Katy my wife and son will visit this year only not sure if i will try and extend my stay see how i feel in 6months. The main reason i came alone was the house in the uk and not wanting to sell up and move here all in one go, i have read a lot about people advising to keep your uk house on if possible. My wife still needs to work so we can affort to keep the house on and my son is 16 and at college so it would disrupt him to much to move over with me.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

6 months later...I am as confused as ever i do like a lot about living in the US but some of it drives me crazy especially the police trying to nab everyone 1st chance they get. I do find it boring at times and jump at the chance when someone has an event i have been to a stump shoot, barbacue's the virginia gun show and VIR as a VIP which was great. I had a really bad time of it not so long ago when i got a phone call from my sister in hysterics trying to tell me my father had died he was fit and we had no warning. I have managed to get back to UK to help support my mother they were married 47yrs horrible shock this.
Anyway not so long ago i took my family to Washington which we loved and we plan to go to NY in august i am glad to be home but miss the challange in the US i return next Monday so without my family till August...never though i would be nervous around a telephone but i am over in the US
I have friends so i don't get to lonely i just wish i wasn't as confused as when i first arrived i cannot decide if i like the US or not...am i a muppet or what
Old Jun 10th 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martian1
6 months later...I am as confused as ever i do like a lot about living in the US but some of it drives me crazy especially the police trying to nab everyone 1st chance they get. I do find it boring at times and jump at the chance when someone has an event i have been to a stump shoot, barbacue's the virginia gun show and VIR as a VIP which was great. I had a really bad time of it not so long ago when i got a phone call from my sister in hysterics trying to tell me my father had died he was fit and we had no warning. I have managed to get back to UK to help support my mother they were married 47yrs horrible shock this.
Anyway not so long ago i took my family to Washington which we loved and we plan to go to NY in august i am glad to be home but miss the challange in the US i return next Monday so without my family till August...never though i would be nervous around a telephone but i am over in the US
I have friends so i don't get to lonely i just wish i wasn't as confused as when i first arrived i cannot decide if i like the US or not...am i a muppet or what
Sorry to jump in here, but I think because you are living apart from your family you won't be able to settle in the US. You either need to bring them over or go home.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Might be an idea to get them to stump up for the kid's UK uni fees, too! He'll be on foreigner fees if he returns at that time...
Not necessarily. If you can prove that you are normally resident in the UK (keeping a house there helps) but temporarily absent (e.g. due to parents being posted overseas by an employer), you can still qualify for domestic tuition fees.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 9:20 am
Just Joined

My family are over for 3 weeks in August i doubt we will move to Virginia so i am glad i kept our house in the Uk the reason my family are not over is due to my wife needing to work to pay the bills in the UK...I have an E2 visa i could have got my wife and sons visa's and the company would buy our house in the UK and move us out. Now that i know the pitfalls with Visa's etc i could end up in a very sticky position, my m8t has bought a house over here just moved him in 3 weeks ago.
He has applied for his green card but he is worried about his sons status..basically once he is finished with college and is deamed employable he is liable to be booted out of the country. Also if anything happened to him god forbid his family could be kicked out and left trying to sell a house in the US...CRAZY i wouldn't sleep at night! On top of all that i don't think its cheaper living in the states especially if your wife and kids need cars, fuel is cheaper but i drive 45mins to and from work at home its a 3 mile trip. Food isn't that cheap either the only reason i am not struggling is i have everything bought for me the appartment, bills, a hire care i just feed my face and buy fuel
I do love some of the cool places to visit but i ask myself would i be able to if i was skint! Some of the American guys have never been to Washington or NY cannot afford it.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Good point about the extra cars needed, the idea of driving to just about everywhere is a big shock to some Brits. What is a "stump shoot" by the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.