Just Joined

martian1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Offer of a job in Virginia

Thanks for that mummy0f2
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Well after reviewing offer i have rejected it..taking in the cost of my wifes loss of earnings medical, optical and dental insurance and my sons schooling fees we would be worse off also i would only get a temp work permit and my wife wouldn't get one at all.
Told them i was unhappy with a lot of the clauses and the fact i have some valuable employment right i would lose in the usa... along with a good pension and service benefits. Basically if they though this a good offer then its not worth discussing any further.

Glad i found this site saved me bacon it's getting silly as iv'e had an e-mail stating they are looking at other options after hearing my concerns..wtf is going on. Complete shambles if i ever get criticized for my work i will point them at the way this has been handled and wag me finger back

Thanks for all your assistance very cosy on here isn't it
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anuny
Wow !!! Even IBM has problems swinging that kind of PR for its scientists destined into Yorktown Heights research centers. Must have been a C level appointment. What it ?
We got our GC sorted in a similar timeframe.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 11th 2010 at 11:15 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martian1
Well after reviewing offer i have rejected it..taking in the cost of my wifes loss of earnings medical, optical and dental insurance and my sons schooling fees we would be worse off also i would only get a temp work permit and my wife wouldn't get one at all.
Told them i was unhappy with a lot of the clauses and the fact i have some valuable employment right i would lose in the usa... along with a good pension and service benefits. Basically if they though this a good offer then its not worth discussing any further.

Glad i found this site saved me bacon it's getting silly as iv'e had an e-mail stating they are looking at other options after hearing my concerns..wtf is going on. Complete shambles if i ever get criticized for my work i will point them at the way this has been handled and wag me finger back

Thanks for all your assistance very cosy on here isn't it

Glad you have come to a decision, sounds like it's the best one for you and the family

Hope you still hang around, it is cosy huh?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How can the visa be 'all sorted' when you've not decided whether you want to move here or not?
He said they were going to get it sorted after he accepted the job, I think he meant that it wasn't going to be an issue?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
He said they were going to get it sorted after he accepted the job, I think he meant that it wasn't going to be an issue?
I know...that's why I changed my post.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know...that's why I changed my post.
Sorry...it wasn't changed when I wrote mine.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Sorry...it wasn't changed when I wrote mine.
I know. I made the mistake of replying to the OP before I'd read through the thread. For some reason I thought there were only 2 posts in the thread.
Old Aug 20th 2010, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

On going but the company seem very sure i am going as a replacement has arrived for training. I am to start training as well, i met the us manager over for a visit and i have a meeting and lunch arranged for our american guests who i am to help train september.
I did reject permanent move but my uk manager approached me and said he mentioned this to a director in charge of project and he said it will be rectified to our liking. Hopefully the 2yr assignment is back on !
Things are under way now and i worry about being selfish with my family as its starting to snowball now and looks likely.
Education wise the news is full of doom and gloom for students in the uk and university places are now limited etc i do hope my sons options are better in america.

Oh..thanks for replies ! continued advice much appreciated.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

On going but the company seem very sure i am going as a replacement has arrived for training. I am to start training as well, i met the us manager over for a visit and i have a meeting and lunch arranged for our american guests who i am to help train september.
I did reject permanent move but my uk manager approached me and said he mentioned this to a director in charge of project and he said it will be rectified to our liking. Hopefully the 2yr assignment is back on !
Things are under way now and i worry about being selfish with my family as its starting to snowball now and looks likely.
Education wise the news is full of doom and gloom for students in the uk and university places are now limited etc i do hope my sons options are better in america.

Hi Again,
Yes i have been reading in the U K newspapers about uni places being hard to get, my youngest is thinking of going to the UK for a masters degree.Not sure if she's be classed as a foreign student or not being out the counrty for so long..If you have the money here and the right GPA marks i think the university's here are comparable to England.
I'm glad it's all moving along for you and your family.you seem to be getting things in order as to how you want them and i think thats a great idea to do.
keep in touch.If you would like me to talk to your wife i will do maybe put her mind at ease on what i am able.
Lyn
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:25 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It is no better here for Uni. The prices are higher, your kids won't be eligible for federal aid and many Uni have closed enrollment for anyone transferring in from junior colleges. But they want them to apply and will decide if they will take one more student in the Spring. so they will take the money then decide to stay closed to new students.
Ds just finished Uni here and has gone back to Wales.
Cost $37,000 a year with lodgings and not including books, food and other bits and bobs
with federal aid and a huge scholarship from the Uni and a small private scholarship his loan total stands at $28,000 payments start in December. Oh and he was working on campus so he could afford his basics too.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
many Uni have closed enrollment for anyone transferring in from junior colleges.
What's this! I was hoping to save a few bob through this route
Old Aug 21st 2010, 1:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

It is no better here for Uni. The prices are higher, your kids won't be eligible for federal aid and many Uni have closed enrollment for anyone transferring in from junior colleges. But they want them to apply and will decide if they will take one more student in the Spring. so they will take the money then decide to stay closed to new students.
Ds just finished Uni here and has gone back to Wales.
Cost $37,000 a year with lodgings and not including books, food and other bits and bobs
with federal aid and a huge scholarship from the Uni and a small private scholarship his loan total stands at $28,000 payments start in December. Oh and he was working on campus so he could afford his basics too.
On average....it takes 4 yrs for an undergrad degree in the US...not 3 as in the UK and a further 2 yrs for a masters...not 1 as in the UK.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 1:39 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
What's this! I was hoping to save a few bob through this route
Yes my friends teen has now applied to Sac state and UC Stanislaus and another in driving distance, she couldn't start in the fall of 2010 like she planned after 3 years in Junior college they had closed admissions to everyone, if I remember right that was before Christmas 09 (start time of Sept 10) Now they said they opened for Spring 11 so she got her apps in to the tune of $55 or so per app. and has just heard they may not open the enrollment as planned after all, and so they have taken the money and may not even look at her application One broke state we've got going on here. the Uni prices keep going up and the kids are getting less for it.
Her younger sister did manage to get in to UC Davis starts next month but she didn't do Junior college first she just graduated in June.
The girl will be a grandma before she get her education finished at this rate.
Someone wondered about sending their teen back for UK Uni, I think they will welcome him with open arms seeing he'd be paying international fees.
Edited to add, I don't think I'd move a 16 year old from UK, it's GCSE time and way too important to spend 2 years wasting away in a high school then paying international fees when you move back to UK.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes my friends teen has now applied to Sac state and UC Stanislaus and another in driving distance, she couldn't start in the fall of 2010 like she planned after 3 years in Junior college they had closed admissions to everyone, if I remember right that was before Christmas 09 (start time of Sept 10) Now they said they opened for Spring 11 so she got her apps in to the tune of $55 or so per app. and has just heard they may not open the enrollment as planned after all, and so they have taken the money and may not even look at her application One broke state we've got going on here. the Uni prices keep going up and the kids are getting less for it.
Her younger sister did manage to get in to UC Davis starts next month but she didn't do Junior college first she just graduated in June.
The girl will be a grandma before she get her education finished at this rate.
Someone wondered about sending their teen back for UK Uni, I think they will welcome him with open arms seeing he'd be paying international fees.
Edited to add, I don't think I'd move a 16 year old from UK, it's GCSE time and way too important to spend 2 years wasting away in a high school then paying international fees when you move back to UK.
The long time to get a degree is a worry...4yrs is the absolute minimum.

We're also pondering the UK route.

My head is spinning with all this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.