Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Offer of a job in Virginia

Offer of a job in Virginia

Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offer of a job in Virginia

Where in Virgnia? If it is Northern Virginia (DC suburbs) it is very expensive. My daughter lived there for a couple of years when she graduated college and ended up moving back to Ohio because it is more affordable here.
As for moving a 16 years old - that is a difficult decision. I first moved to the US in the mid 80s when my children were 6 and 9. We were on a 3 year visa which wasn't renewed and we moved back to England. We then moved back to the US when my eldest child was 15 and youngest 12. My eldest child had a really difficult year and I felt really badly about it, but now she has settled here (both have) and they both have married Americans and wouldn't consider going back. (Unlike their mum (me) who thinks about going back all the time) One thing - I think you should keep your house in the UK. I know I wish I had.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Might be an idea to get them to stump up for the kid's UK uni fees, too! He'll be on foreigner fees if he returns at that time, notwithstanding the fact that entry will be difficult if he takes a traditional US education rather than a baccalaureate-type program.
Yeah, not really a good age to move to the US for a kid, especially if it's only for two years
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

martian1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Had an e-mail today stating they are aware of my difficulties regarding a local job offer but they want to send the offer pack anyway for me to have a look at prior applying [i have to apply to North American branch of my company for the job even though its mine anyway]. I think they are hoping when i see what's on offer i will be swayed, they have said once i have a good look at offer and benefits then we can have a chat and try sort any problems before i make a decision either way. So it looks like its a relocation they want to stick with.
I also want to mention i am one of three guys picked so it might be worth us all getting together as families to discuss it in detail.

Thanks for replies all much appreciated
Old Aug 9th 2010, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

washsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nicewashsaint is just really nice

Personally, I think you'll regret it if you don't try it.....there will be a real danger you will spend the rest of your life wondering 'what if'.

We have just moved on an L1 - the company is small and not necessarily that stable but after months of deliberation we went for it and are treating it as an opportunity to live for the weekends.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by washsaint
Personally, I think you'll regret it if you don't try it.....there will be a real danger you will spend the rest of your life wondering 'what if'.

We have just moved on an L1 - the company is small and not necessarily that stable but after months of deliberation we went for it and are treating it as an opportunity to live for the weekends.
yea i agree with washsaint..you may regret if you don't try. it's not too bad here. like others have said cross your t's and dot your i's cover your bases,lol
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by martian1
Had an e-mail today stating they are aware of my difficulties regarding a local job offer but they want to send the offer pack anyway for me to have a look at prior applying [i have to apply to North American branch of my company for the job even though its mine anyway]. I think they are hoping when i see what's on offer i will be swayed, they have said once i have a good look at offer and benefits then we can have a chat and try sort any problems before i make a decision either way. So it looks like its a relocation they want to stick with.
I also want to mention i am one of three guys picked so it might be worth us all getting together as families to discuss it in detail.

Thanks for replies all much appreciated
good idea getting together..
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martian1
Can you answer YES to all of these three questions:

- Can you get a Green Card in the first preference category?
- Is the company happy to sponsor for GC immediately?
- Are your wife and family happy with the idea of a permanent relocation?

As others have said, if you have a 16 year old you probably cannot afford to play games with temporary visas. Also, unless your job falls into certain categories, getting a green card may take years even if the company does sponsor you.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ

As others have said, if you have a 16 year old you probably cannot afford to play games with temporary visas. Also, unless your job falls into certain categories, getting a green card may take years even if the company does sponsor you.
the company we came over with had out green card sorted out and done within a year..paid big $$'s but it got done. this was back in 91/92 things might be different now because of the way the world has changed i don't know
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:31 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

You must have missed the part where he stated his visa was all sorted!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

You must have missed the part where he stated his visa was all sorted!
i just thought i would share..
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynfleet
i just thought i would share..
Share away. But his journey is not your journey.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

Share away. But his journey is not your journey.
i was just giving my past dealings here. i know he has a visa sorted but a green card is better. calm down
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynfleet
the company we came over with had out green card sorted out and done within a year..paid big $$'s but it got done. this was back in 91/92 things might be different now because of the way the world has changed i don't know
Wow !!! Even IBM has problems swinging that kind of PR for its scientists destined into Yorktown Heights research centers. Must have been a C level appointment. What it ?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

martian1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all...not sure what the deal is exactly but i will have questions once i find out i will regret not going for it especially if the other guys love it. My big worry is the family as i said before 2 years was the original offer and they would go for that as it wasn't such a gamble especially with my uk job held until our return
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

mummyof2 has a spectacular aura aboutmummyof2 has a spectacular aura aboutmummyof2 has a spectacular aura about

Hi, Well, all i can give you is from our own experience, 4 yrs ago we came back to the UK after 3 and half years living in TX and boy do we regret it now. We went on a company secondment for originally 2 yrs then it got extended for another year and then hubbie got offered a promotion but the job had to be taken back in the UK, which we took. We are now trying everything to get back to USA but nothing as of yet, my hubbie works for an aerospace international company and we long to be back in the states now, we loved the lifestyle, cost of living was better and the houses bigger (much more house for your money) and more family friendly and lots of outdoors activities of course the sunshine helped, and we made a lot of good friends who where like family to us. We went out there with our 1 year old child and even though our son later was born in USA doesn't guarantee us a life there till he is 21 at best. So if i was you i would go for it these offers like this don't happen all the time and hey if its not for you you can come back home, you could rent out your house in UK just in case. We loved our USA life and miss it now but you might regret it if you don't try. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.