Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Offer of a job in Virginia

Offer of a job in Virginia

Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

martian1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offer of a job in Virginia

Hi all just after some advice really...Basically i applied for a job at work which was a 2 year assignment in America with the door open to stay if all goes well. I applied not really thinking i had a chance of getting it but now they are mad keen on having me and my family. I would have a good wage possibly a rented home, car and plenty of other help. I dont have to worry about visas etc all sorted...i know its our decision but its driving me nuts deciding if i should go for it. It's a once in a lifetime chance and my initial thought were i have to "try" see if it works out.
We have all the usual doubts about will we fit in, will my wife go crazy with homesickness and our lad is 16 so thats a worry with education [he has a place to go do his A levels in uk] i worry about our safety over in the states etc...
Anyone gone for this with advice much appreciated just need help making my mind up
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:23 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Offer of a job in Virginia

Originally Posted by martian1
I dont have to worry about visas etc all sorted...
Yes, you do. Especially with a family in tow with a 16 y.o. We've already had one L-visa horror story on this very board this week.

Worry about your immigration status until you get your green card. Anything less would be foolish.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:27 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

If the visa is all sorted, can I ask what visa you will be applying for? If you don't already work for the company then it's not going to be an L1 or L2.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

Hi all just after some advice really...Basically i applied for a job at work which was a 2 year assignment in America with the door open to stay if all goes well. I applied not really thinking i had a chance of getting it but now they are mad keen on having me and my family. I would have a good wage possibly a rented home, car and plenty of other help. I dont have to worry about visas etc all sorted...i know its our decision but its driving me nuts deciding if i should go for it. It's a once in a lifetime chance and my initial thought were i have to "try" see if it works out.
We have all the usual doubts about will we fit in, will my wife go crazy with homesickness and our lad is 16 so thats a worry with education [he has a place to go do his A levels in uk] i worry about our safety over in the states etc...
Anyone gone for this with advice much appreciated just need help making my mind up
i'd do it, rent your house in the UK and come on over, the colleges are good here both mine have gone.the life style is great and the standard of living is also better than home. i came over for two years in 1991 .....still here.i'll answer any question i am able to if you ask..good luck. lyn Also safety here in chesterfield county VA is not a problem very little crime and i always feel safe

Last edited by lynfleet; Aug 7th 2010 at 10:40 pm. Reason: adding more
Old Aug 7th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

A bit of advise: Every employee that moved in an intra-company transfer that I know of personally, first the employee moved over, get adjusted for six months to a year, and then slowly drifted away from their abode back home by moving the family.

Some have still not liquidated their assets back home [Who would if they have a house in a beachy island or ski slopes ]
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:36 am
Just Joined

I think visas will be sorted my employer is huge they are setting up a new factory from the ground up it must cost in the region of £500million i will be tasked with training americans..oh fun it will regenerate the area and employ around 500 people.
Anyway i applied and the job was a 2yr assignment but the americans want me to relocate asap. Now my son was happy to date american girls for 2yrs but wants the choice to come home if its not working out my wife will get homesick for sure. I also fear financially i could mess up as i have commitments in the uk and cannot afford debt in 2 countries. Anyway i rejected job saying i applied for a 2yr assignment with a return to the uk once completed. In otherwords i applied had a interview briefing then the usual interview tests etc got selected then was offered a different job...strange.
Human resources in America have now said they will contact me early next week with other options..shambles really. Should i push my luck and ask for everything i want after all i already said no!
Read a few posts on here and what has shocked me is that its been stated cost of living is higher than the uk..now thats really put me off
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

lynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant futurelynfleet has a brilliant future

I think visas will be sorted my employer is huge they are setting up a new factory from the ground up it must cost in the region of £500million i will be tasked with training americans..oh fun it will regenerate the area and employ around 500 people.
Anyway i applied and the job was a 2yr assignment but the americans want me to relocate asap. Now my son was happy to date american girls for 2yrs but wants the choice to come home if its not working out my wife will get homesick for sure. I also fear financially i could mess up as i have commitments in the uk and cannot afford debt in 2 countries. Anyway i rejected job saying i applied for a 2yr assignment with a return to the uk once completed. In otherwords i applied had a interview briefing then the usual interview tests etc got selected then was offered a different job...strange.
Human resources in America have now said they will contact me early next week with other options..shambles really. Should i push my luck and ask for everything i want after all i already said no!
Read a few posts on here and what has shocked me is that its been stated cost of living is higher than the uk..now thats really put me off
i don't think the cost of living here is as expensive as the UK, things here are a bit differant than home as you found with H R, you must be well able to do the job or they would'nt want to accomadate you..i take it they will fund your move over here? it's worth a shot but i would'nt sell up in England, i'd rent out. we have done both rented on our first move abroad and sold up to come here i regret that. should'v kept our house.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:04 am
Just Joined

Blimy rapid reply i may be able to keep our house on for 6 months and come home now and then. That way my wife keeps here job gives us time to sort renting out the house and i can make a decision on the move..will will most likely get a pre assignment visit as well. Yes they will sort relocation out including a furniture allowance etc and we can ship our stuff over for free as well. Thing is i feel i am going to be given 3 choices..

Relocate now

Have 6 months to decide

or the 2 yr assignment

which is the most sensible

Oh and for previous poster it is the same company

Last edited by martian1; Aug 8th 2010 at 1:07 am.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Relocate now

Have 6 months to decide

or the 2 yr assignment

That is for you to decide. You know your work and family situation better than anyone here.

Good luck, update us on the decision(s) you eventually take.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Blimy rapid reply i may be able to keep our house on for 6 months and come home now and then. That way my wife keeps here job gives us time to sort renting out the house and i can make a decision on the move..will will most likely get a pre assignment visit as well. Yes they will sort relocation out including a furniture allowance etc and we can ship our stuff over for free as well. Thing is i feel i am going to be given 3 choices..

Relocate now

Have 6 months to decide

or the 2 yr assignment

Oh and for previous poster it is the same company
and we get live footy matches every week on fox soccer sports. lol
Old Aug 8th 2010, 3:13 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Do it. If it's an intracompany transfer there are fewer risks than many other types of emigration to the US, especially regarding a job back in the UK at the end of it. Two years? What have you got to lose? Look at it like an extended holiday.

And when it comes to negotiations, remember if you want a kitten, ask for a pony.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Do it. If it's an intracompany transfer there are fewer risks than many other types of emigration to the US, especially regarding a job back in the UK at the end of it. Two years? What have you got to lose? Look at it like an extended holiday.

And when it comes to negotiations, remember if you want a kitten, ask for a pony.
agreed...we made a similar decision 10 years ago and haven't looked back
Old Aug 8th 2010, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I think visas will be sorted...
You need to know exactly what visa is going to be sorted. If it's an L-1 intracompany transfer visa, then you'll probably be fine. You're wife and kids will get L-2 visas, and your wife will be allowed to apply for employment authorization and then work (if she's keen to). Your L-2 kids will not be allowed to work. If it's an H-1B visa, your wife and kids will get H-4 visas. Your wife, no matter how much she wants to, will not be allowed to work... ever, and neither will your kids. Full stop. End of story.

So... word of warning - all visas are not alike!

Ian
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

The expenses US vs UK will depend on where you are coming from/going too etc, there are places in the US that are definitely more expensive than the UK, also lots of different costs here that you may not have in the UK.

There is a website forum called 'City-Data.com' that has threads for every area in the US, you can join and ask questions more pertinent to a particular area, from people that actually live there. We can help with general questions and give you the Brit perspective though and we are more than happy to do that Only you though can decide if it's going to be a good idea for your family.

I would agree that it's sensible to leave your options open in the UK, don't burn all your bridges, if you 'can try before you buy', do that, no point in disrupting the whole family if you find that you hate it here and don't like the job As has also been said, the Visas can be a nightmare, but it sounds like you would get a decent one. Just lately, there have been a few of our members that have been or are going through that nightmare.

Also,think about your 'exit' plan too, if you think you will just do the job for two yrs and go back to the UK, you will want to make sure your employer pays for all returning costs too, even slip in a request for yearly trips back for the family paid for by the company (others have that put in their contracts)
Get everything in writing!...Good luck
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Also,think about your 'exit' plan too, if you think you will just do the job for two yrs and go back to the UK, you will want to make sure your employer pays for all returning costs too, even slip in a request for yearly trips back for the family paid for by the company (others have that put in their contracts)
Get everything in writing!...Good luck
Might be an idea to get them to stump up for the kid's UK uni fees, too! He'll be on foreigner fees if he returns at that time, notwithstanding the fact that entry will be difficult if he takes a traditional US education rather than a baccalaureate-type program.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.