British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Off topic posts re cost of living moved from Kokolino’s Imm thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/off-topic-posts-re-cost-living-moved-kokolino%E2%80%99s-imm-thread-934898/)

Pulaski Aug 15th 2020 8:30 pm

Off topic posts re cost of living moved from Kokolino’s Imm thread

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane (Post 12897165)
With respect to your package being offered, you say the salary is higher, but; take what you make in the UK, multiply it by 1.8 and put a $ in front. If that number is less than the salary you're being offered then it isn't a pay raise. ....

This is very poor advice, and a recipe for accepting under-market pay. You need to look at what local market pay is for the job that you do and your knowledge, experience, and qualifications. To be blunt, what you are paid in the UK is largely irrelvant to what you should be paid in the US, and it is not uncommon for technology, scientific, and engineering roles to pay substantially more in the US than merely taking your GBP salary in the UK and multiplying it by 1.8 to get a dollar figure.

Winston_the_Great_Dane Aug 16th 2020 4:21 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12897304)
This is very poor advice, and a recipe for accepting under-market pay. You need to look at what local market pay is for the job that you do and your knowledge, experience, and qualifications. To be blunt, what you are paid in the UK is largely irrelvant to what you should be paid in the US, and it is not uncommon for technology, scientific, and engineering roles to pay substantially more in the US than merely taking your GBP salary in the UK and multiplying it by 1.8 to get a dollar figure.

I agree with you 100%, but it's a simple measure of whether it's a raise or not. I've seen people come on this forum being offered low money. The 1.8 figure is derived from the difference between UK median salary and US median salary, not just a figure plucked out of thin air. Absolutely do the research, and lookblook at local market but it's a useful quick check.

Mic1 Aug 16th 2020 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Winston_the_Great_Dane (Post 12897165)
With respect to your package being offered, you say the salary is higher, but; take what you make in the UK, multiply it by 1.8 and put a $ in front. If that number is less than the salary you're being offered then it isn't a pay raise.

Good luck with whichever route you choose

Where do you come up with that figure? Too many variables to make a blanket statement like that.

Pulaski Aug 16th 2020 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Mic1 (Post 12897489)
Where do you come up with that figure? Too many variables to make a blanket statement like that.

Post #14 above.

I agree it's a broad blanket statement, but not a bad rule of thumb.

SanDiegogirl Aug 16th 2020 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by kokolino23 (Post 12897122)
Hello,

The salary is higher than in UK but the taxes and cost of living are also higher (around Philadelphia).
Doesn't look very appealing TBH.
Thank you

If you are already thinking the salary is not very appealing, based, I presume, at looking at cost of living (primarily accommodation/utilities?)in Philadelphia, then you probably should not move.
Moving is extraordinarily expensive, even with a re-location package (have you been offered one of these?)
Apart from cost of living in Philly, have you also factored in health insurance costs?

tht Sep 16th 2020 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by kokolino23 (Post 12910956)
The salary is higher than $60k/year anyway but as I said before, I have to consider a lot of other things.
Most probably I'll come back here with an update because all your replies were really helpful (thanks again!).

My only advice is crunch your own numbers and negotiate. Despite the name of the forum moving to the US is not like being an expat basically most other places in the world, Brits who go to low tax countries As expats have a lot of benefits that are often not taxed and pay lower taxes, keep their savings “offshore” from the UK and in my experience in Asia, India (most live in gated communities there) and to a lesser extent in NZ and AU there is an actual in person “expat community” that’s meets up very frequently for social events. In the US your just another immigrant like everyone else... some bars will show the english soccer and have a cluster of brits etc, but it’s not the same.

Nutmegger Sep 17th 2020 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12911059)

I hope it's considerably more than $60k for a family of 4 of you!

Best of luck, hope you can get out there at some point.

Indeed, Philadelphia is not cheap.

Pulaski Sep 18th 2020 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12911163)
Indeed, Philadelphia is not cheap.

:goodpost: Agreed, and I would extend that to say, contrary to popular belief, America is not cheap.

Personally I wouldn't move even to a lower cost area of the US as a family of four for less than $100k household annual income. I have previously posted outline budgets that show $60k gross annual income as "borderline survivable" in a lower cost part of America, with no savings and no money for holidays or flights to the UK. And as noted by Nutmegger, Philadelphia is not a cheap area, therefore I would considered $100k household income to be "bordeline survivable" in the Philadelphia area.

kokolino23 Oct 1st 2020 11:02 pm

Re: Off topic posts re cost of living moved from Kokolino’s Imm thread

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12911657)
:goodpost: Agreed, and I would extend that to say, contrary to popular belief, America is not cheap.

Personally I wouldn't move even to a lower cost area of the US as a family of four for less than $100k household annual income. I have previously posted outline budgets that show $60k gross annual income as "borderline survivable" in a lower cost part of America, with no savings and no money for holidays or flights to the UK. And as noted by Nutmegger, Philadelphia is not a cheap area, therefore I would considered $100k household income to be "bordeline survivable" in the Philadelphia area.

I was hoping that a $100k household income would be a very decent one but looks like I have to do more research and budgeting. Thanks for pointing this out to us.