Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Off topic posts from Dubai to Houston thread

Off topic posts from Dubai to Houston thread

Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:16 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British expat relocating from Dubai to Houston,Texas

Originally Posted by Leslie
I flew over it once which puts me in a perfect position to say that it is paradise --- a virtual Shangri-La. Liverpool is utopia.
Bizarre. I actually landed in Houston before I made my judgement about it. You stick to flying over cities then. Up in the clouds is clearly where your thinking best fits.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Suexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to beholdSuexpat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Probably somewhere as equally as shit then. Good luck to you.
Do you really think this is helping the person who asked the question about Houston. We must just give our views on the place and I am sure we all have different thoughts on Houston. If I was coming here as an expat with no children and renting a property and my husband worked in Sugar Land then personally I would do anything to get out of it.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:20 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suexpat
Do you really think this is helping the person who asked the question about Houston.
Yes. Of course I do.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:24 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I've had to visit multiple times this year already unfortunately. It's still a shit hole. Everytime. Sorry. I'll stick to Boston or San Francisco for cities I consider worthwhile living in.
But what are you doing while you are here. IAH on I-45 to Office, Hotel and back again? There was a time I thought hubby's jet setting ways were glamorous until I came to the realization that all he sees are airports and office buildings.

Have you been to Brazos Bend for a picnic, have you spent a weekend in Galveston, did you go to the rodeo this year? Visiting doesn't really give you the same experience of living somewhere.

I visited San Francisco for a week and thought is was great, Boston not so much, but I have no idea of what it would be like to live in either.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

...., well you're moving to the state [Texas] where guns can be open carried. .....
That is incorrect. Open carry of firearms is NOT permitted in Texas.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 31st 2014 at 5:58 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:35 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
But what are you doing while you are here. IAH on I-45 to Office, Hotel and back again? There was a time I thought hubby's jet setting ways were glamorous until I came to the realization that all he sees are airports and office buildings.

Have you been to Brazos Bend for a picnic, have you spent a weekend in Galveston, did you go to the rodeo this year? Visiting doesn't really give you the same experience of living somewhere.

I visited San Francisco for a week and thought is was great, Boston not so much, but I have no idea of what it would be like to live in either.
I wouldn't attend a rodeo. I'm not a redneck.

I spent a weekend at Galveston and thought it was boring as, plus it looked very run down. You know a hurricane passed through it? The place still looks impacted by that natural disaster. Even the wife (who has that nauseating American trait of positivity about everything) thought it was crap. If that is the best 'Houston' has to offer for a vacation spot then I'll stick to Rhode Island or Maine.

BTW - I entirely agree with you re visiting != living there. But from what I have seen of Houston I know I could never live in such a grotty place. It's like trying to tell someone who few up in the south east of England to move to the north west. Urgh!
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I shall rephrase

A state permit is not required to purchase a firearm. So I could happily walk into a gun store, I might have a history of mental or aggression issues, and walk out with a killing machine. That's TX for y'all.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sue
Please lets not turn this into a discussion about gun control, or anything else that is not related to the OP's question. As it isn't helping the OP (who I might add is a new member and probably wondering what they've stumbled into )and we know that any such discussion related to guns is going to go downhill fast. So please stay off gun control in this thread.
Except the OP's question specifically comments on this aspect:

"My concern is the gun culture in the U.S, Texas. Having lived in a very safe city for all this time, I really would appreciate thoughts and comments from all other British expats"

I would have thought a discussion concerning gun control in Houston (and TX in general) would be of benefit to the new member, given they specifically asked for comments.

But hey, that's just me.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:05 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Except the OP's question specifically comments on this aspect:

"My concern is the gun culture in the U.S, Texas. Having lived in a very safe city for all this time, I really would appreciate thoughts and comments from all other British expats"

I would have thought a discussion concerning gun control in Houston (and TX in general) would be of benefit to the new member, given they specifically asked for comments.

But hey, that's just me.
I think Sue's just saying we need to keep the thread balanced. The question as posed was "moving to Houston", and in that context gun culture. I think we all know how some topics can spiral out of control.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DubaiCat
Ok. I'm confused! Concealed hand gun licence? Is this different to a normal licence?
Thought we couldn't discuss gun control in this thread anymore? Or am I and others free to address DubaiCat's question without fear of a ban?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by DubaiCat
Guys! I just want to know the law on gun control in Houston as petrified re the very thought of peops walking around with 'concealed weapons'
Any person in the law or police out there, let me know. Just wanting facts guys p
The site administrator has banned discussion of this topic:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=43

I cannot answer your question(s) i'm afraid. Others might take their chances.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:50 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Thought we couldn't discuss gun control in this thread anymore? Or am I and others free to address DubaiCat's question without fear of a ban?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:52 pm
Banned

That's what happened last time, so I can only go on experience.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:53 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

That's what happened last time, so I can only go on experience.
You're banned?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:54 pm
Banned

You're banned?
Clearly not currently. I'm pretty certain I will be if I discuss gun control in this thread after Sue has asked us not to. That's what happened last time. Three week ban for contributing to a thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.