Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Off to Chicago

Off to Chicago

Old Dec 18th 2003, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough
Default Off to Chicago

Well it looks as if I may have to change my screen name pretty soon as I have taken a promotion that takes me to Chicago. I'm off now to !!!!!!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Cool. When does this take effect?. Get ready for the deep dish pizza
Old Dec 18th 2003, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Cool. When does this take effect?. Get ready for the deep dish pizza
I'll be spending half my time in Ohio and half in Chicago untill Feb and then up there full time at the end of Feb. Wife will be joining me in June!
Old Dec 19th 2003, 1:56 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
I'll be spending half my time in Ohio and half in Chicago untill Feb and then up there full time at the end of Feb. Wife will be joining me in June!
Well, welcome to Chicago. Bring your woolly socks. Of course it's not exactly toasty in Ohio either, is it? Are you going to live in the city or suburbs?
Old Dec 19th 2003, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Well, welcome to Chicago. Bring your woolly socks. Of course it's not exactly toasty in Ohio either, is it? Are you going to live in the city or suburbs?
I'll be moving to the suburbs when the wife joins me in June but until then I may live in the City. I'm not really too sure. When I go up there on business they always put me in a hotel in Elmhurst and it seems really nice there. Still a lot to be worked out yet!!!
Where are you at?
Old Dec 21st 2003, 3:01 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
I'll be moving to the suburbs when the wife joins me in June but until then I may live in the City. I'm not really too sure. When I go up there on business they always put me in a hotel in Elmhurst and it seems really nice there. Still a lot to be worked out yet!!!
Where are you at?
Evanston, first suburb north of Chicago next to the Lake. If you are wanting to buy a house it's pretty expensive around here (we rent). Other than that it's agreable because it's close to the Lake, there are lots of nice houses around and small parks too, lots of trees, and there's decent public transportation to Chicago. It's also further away from the airport than Elmhurst! There are also all kinds of shops and restaurants close by.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

gruffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Off to Chicago

Well let me know, I'm off there in January, Downers Grove in the western suburbs.....Andy
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 7:53 pm

Originally posted by gruffer
Well let me know, I'm off there in January, Downers Grove in the western suburbs.....Andy

You too? We're going to have to open a pub soon if the Brit. population keeps growing like this.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 8:12 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Let me know when you do and we can all meet up!!

Maggie

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
You too? We're going to have to open a pub soon if the Brit. population keeps growing like this.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 8:14 pm

Originally posted by Maggs
Let me know when you do and we can all meet up!!

Maggie

If I could I would do it tomorrow I can tell you! There's nothing like Christmas for reminding one of the need to be able to pop out for a quiet pint and a chat once in a while.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

gruffer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Off to Chicago

Whats the Elephant and Castle like in downtown Chicago ? Never been there,
but I assume it's a themed mary poppins Pub?
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 8:36 pm

Originally posted by gruffer
Whats the Elephant and Castle like in downtown Chicago ? Never been there,
but I assume it's a themed mary poppins Pub?
Never been to that one. I sort of gave up on places that claimed to be pubs (eg The Red Lion on Lincoln Ave), because they are always somebody's quaint idea of Merrie Olde Englande (except with the same awful U.S. beer). The atmosphere is just wrong, but I think that's because the culture is different, not a decor problem. They are always more like bars than pubs.