Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Odessa, Texas

Odessa, Texas

Old Jan 2nd 2020, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Odessa, Texas

I hesitated in posting this.. so I have been in Odessa for just over 3 months. I still have not changed my mind about the place. Scenically it is boring. Art and culture a lack thereof. Restaurants out the ying yang. I can't even let my dogs run and play. There is nothing but brown grass and burrs which my dogs seem to step on each walk despite trying to have them avoid walking in the grass. I am very very lonely. I tried couple of meet ups but not my thing. The only person I know I don't see very often as she is in grad school. I spend weekends by myself with my dogs. I also don't like the job. I am used to working with children one on one. Here I have 5 kids at 1 time, 25 mins and have to try and do 10 goals in that time. I am struggling with this. So personally and professionally Odessa is not a good fit for me. I am going back to Arizona to work in home health for a few months and then decide next move. Oh it has made me more depressed than I usually am. Odessa is not for me. If I had come out here and checked out place before I moved I would never had moved here. So I came, I saw, I failed..
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like it was a big mistake, but at least you now have a better idea of what you do want to do and where you want to be.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Odessa is not for me. If I had come out here and checked out place before I moved I would never had moved here. So I came, I saw, I failed..
There is no shame in that.

So many people in life sit and wondering about what could be or what might have been, whereas you at least gave things a try.

I'm sorry that Odessa didn't work out for you, but hopefully you find what you are looking for soon.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 2:02 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I hesitated in posting this.. so I have been in Odessa for just over 3 months. I still have not changed my mind about the place. Scenically it is boring. Art and culture a lack thereof. Restaurants out the ying yang. I can't even let my dogs run and play. There is nothing but brown grass and burrs which my dogs seem to step on each walk despite trying to have them avoid walking in the grass. I am very very lonely. I tried couple of meet ups but not my thing. The only person I know I don't see very often as she is in grad school. I spend weekends by myself with my dogs. I also don't like the job. I am used to working with children one on one. Here I have 5 kids at 1 time, 25 mins and have to try and do 10 goals in that time. I am struggling with this. So personally and professionally Odessa is not a good fit for me. I am going back to Arizona to work in home health for a few months and then decide next move. Oh it has made me more depressed than I usually am. Odessa is not for me. If I had come out here and checked out place before I moved I would never had moved here. So I came, I saw, I failed..
You went for a change and it isn't for you.
I came to NZ. It isn't a good fit but I have not failed.

Neither have you. You were stepping out bravely & at least you have the insight and courage to say no to the place.
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 2:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a fail. It was a brave move on your part to an unknown destination. That took a lot of guts, kudos to you!

Texas is not for everyone, well not all parts of Texas and Odessa is a very remote area. West Texas does have many enduring and beautiful areas but you have to travel many miles of total nothing to get to them. I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you. If you moved maybe to the Austin area or San Antonio you might think differently about Texas.

Best wishes for your move back to Arizona.

Old Jan 3rd 2020, 4:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

So I came, I saw, I failed..
Let me correct that for you.....
So I came, I saw, I tried something new.

There's absolutely no fail in there at all. Moving states to somewhere you've never been on your own is a massive undertaking. Be proud of yourself for giving it a go.