Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Odessa, Texas

Odessa, Texas

Old Sep 26th 2019, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Odessa, Texas

So first day in Odessa. Right now just like Arizona in that dry and arid.. We shall see how things progress. I was never madly excited about coming here but did so for a job opportunity.
Old Sep 26th 2019, 2:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
So first day in Odessa. Right now just like Arizona in that dry and arid.. We shall see how things progress. I was never madly excited about coming here but did so for a job opportunity.
Keep an open mind. Try to enjoy your time there and hopefully you will be able to see some of the area around you . If we head that way early next year maybe we can meet!
Old Sep 26th 2019, 4:32 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

A job opportunity is as good a reason as any. You're very resilient Fulwood - enjoy your work with the children and embrace whatever experiences come along. My money's on you seeing out at least one enjoyable year
Old Sep 26th 2019, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update. I expect you will do just fine. Do you live and work in Odessa? A lot of my colleagues worked in Odessa and lived in Midland. When I used to visit for work I worked and stayed in Odessa.
Old Sep 28th 2019, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Sugarmooma yes it would be nice to meet you. Durham lad I am in Odessa and I'm only 4-5 miles from schools I will be working in. Apartments are expensive in Odessa but school district has a deal with leasing company and we get approximately 10-20% discount. If I'm right it should be around $1400 - $1500 for everything including utilities. Thank you all for the kind words. I keep getting lost but slowly learning way around. Oh the rate is for a 2bd/2ba apartment.
Old Sep 28th 2019, 11:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
The movie "Friday Night Lights" (based on the book of the same name, and followed by a TV series of the same name) chronicles Odessa Permian High School football, which is a major power in high school football. Their stadium holds over 19,000 people for basically U18s.

As soon as the OP mentioned working in a school I thought of that movie. I’ve not read the book but a friend at uni told me the movie doesn’t come close to showing the kind of insane pressure those kids were put under.
Old Sep 29th 2019, 12:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis

As soon as the OP mentioned working in a school I thought of that movie. I’ve not read the book but a friend at uni told me the movie doesn’t come close to showing the kind of insane pressure those kids were put under.
Friday night football for all high schools in Texas is crazy . Stadiums are priority for school improvements. Bands and cheer leaders and parking lots full of big bubba trucks! That's Friday night during football season!

We always go grocery shopping during game time. It's the quietest time to shop😊
Old Sep 29th 2019, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy the experience, you sound as if you are all set
Old Sep 29th 2019, 9:59 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sugarmooma yes it would be nice to meet you. Durham lad I am in Odessa and I'm only 4-5 miles from schools I will be working in. Apartments are expensive in Odessa but school district has a deal with leasing company and we get approximately 10-20% discount. If I'm right it should be around $1400 - $1500 for everything including utilities. Thank you all for the kind words. I keep getting lost but slowly learning way around. Oh the rate is for a 2bd/2ba apartment.
That rental tariff sounds pretty good for what you get! You'll know the place like the back of your hand in no time. I envy you a bit, I love the adventure of finding my way around and settling into a new place
Old Sep 30th 2019, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that is high for the area?

I actually find that pretty reasonable, but I guess its all relative to the area one lives.....lol

Old Oct 1st 2019, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm all in with rent and utilities at $1600 for 2bd/2b which I think is not too bad. much more than I paid In Arizona but..
Old Nov 16th 2019, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well I've been in Odessa for 2 months now. I have to honestly admit I don't like the place 1 bit.
Old Nov 16th 2019, 11:02 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've been in Odessa for 2 months now. I have to honestly admit I don't like the place 1 bit.
Can you be more definite on what don't like? And are there any things you do like? Laying both sides out in writing may help you when making future location choices.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 1:33 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Big shame but at least it was a move.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

At least the good thing is that you only planned to initially work there for 1 school year.

As mentioned above it would be good to hear the specifics. I have only visited Odessa on business a few times, I always lived in large, hot, wet towns in Texas and Louisiana.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.