Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

An oddity or FU Jack, I'm getting myarse covered.

An oddity or FU Jack, I'm getting myarse covered.

Old Nov 28th 2013, 10:54 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute
Default An oddity or FU Jack, I'm getting myarse covered.

I spent a week until Tuesday evening in the hospital with an emphysema flare up and/or pneumonia.The first thing they do is put on a "Fall Risk" wrist band. Were not to stand unless there is a nurse or tech there.

While I understand this, a large part of the accidents in hospitals are from falls, it seems to me that it makes the patient less able to move from one to the other safely after they leave because of the loss of practice when they leave.

I'm 78 and they are going to load me up with steroids, so I'm not surprised when they do it initially but I get angry when I get Physical Therapy to evaluate me as not needing any.

I may just write a hypothetical case to them and see what answer I get.

I practice the art in hospital regardless because back in the sixties, my boss didn't, he got up in the night, lost his balance and fatally broke his bonce.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:03 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An oddity or FU Jack, I'm getting myarse covered.

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I spent a week until Tuesday evening in the hospital with an emphysema flare up and/or pneumonia.The first thing they do is put on a "Fall Risk" wrist band. Were not to stand unless there is a nurse or tech there.

While I understand this, a large part of the accidents in hospitals are from falls, it seems to me that it makes the patient less able to move from one to the other safely after they leave because of the loss of practice when they leave.

I'm 78 and they are going to load me up with steroids, so I'm not surprised when they do it initially but I get angry when I get Physical Therapy to evaluate me as not needing any.

I may just write a hypothetical case to them and see what answer I get.

I practice the art in hospital regardless because back in the sixties, my boss didn't, he got up in the night, lost his balance and fatally broke his bonce.
So what happens if they catch you standing up without permission? Detention?
Old Nov 28th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Your dead body is found in a hospital stairwell two weeks later ...
Old Nov 29th 2013, 1:09 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

The beds are old, mechanical/electrical, but of really good design. Believe it or not, there is a noisy alarm that can be set, and some nurses set them. I have an old prostate that demands that I stand, I set the alarms off several times getting up for a pee. It annoyed the other patients but they still waited till I was asleep and set them again.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 1:15 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The beds are old, mechanical/electrical, but of really good design. Believe it or not, there is a noisy alarm that can be set, and some nurses set them. I have an old prostate that demands that I stand, I set the alarms off several times getting up for a pee. It annoyed the other patients but they still waited till I was asleep and set them again.
I think you should while away the hours working out how to tamper with those alarms....
Old Nov 29th 2013, 1:44 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should while away the hours working out how to tamper with those alarms....

Just keep getting out of bed during the night. They will soon get fed up with everyone being disturbed by the sirens going off.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 1:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should wee away the hours working out how to tamper with those alarms....

FIFY

Oh and M had one of those wrist bands as well and we got the lecture when he got back into bed after sitting in a chair without a nurse helping him

Last edited by scrubbedexpat097; Nov 29th 2013 at 1:53 am.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:37 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Just keep getting out of bed during the night. They will soon get fed up with everyone being disturbed by the sirens going off.
I agree, one or the other or both. Fight their stupid "system". Idiots.

Bet you're glad to be home .
Old Nov 29th 2013, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I guess they have to cover themselves against litigation if someone falls.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Casual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond reputeCasual Observer has a reputation beyond repute

When you say "getting your arse covered" does this imply that they are allowing you to wear pyjamas as opposed to those gowns that are open at the back?
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Deprivation of rights/liberties?

Effectively being held against ones will?

I'd be outraged!
Old Dec 3rd 2013, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I guess they have to cover themselves against litigation if someone falls.
Yes indeed, Sally! US hospitals - and doctors of all kinds - are scared witless of being sued for tens of millions for the slightest injury. Even besides the money aspect, they (hospitals and their administrators) HATE dealing with the insurance companies. Faced with a huge bill for treatment, a friend of mine offered to pay in cash; suddenly, the bill was reduced by 70%.
Old Dec 5th 2013, 11:59 pm
The Unmod

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Deprivation of rights/liberties?

Effectively being held against ones will?

I'd be outraged!
Oh, such irony, it hurts

My only real point is that they are trying to prevent something they should encourage. The translation from lying to sitting to standing is compromised when not used, especially when ones muscles are being melted away by an over abundance of Solu-Medrol. Body changes and lack of practice make it more likely that one should fall after leaving.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 4:26 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Better after leaving than before, from their point of view. Two reasons come to mind:
- the fallee will be suing someone else for the fall, and
- there will be a repeat customer.

Regards, JEff
Body changes and lack of practice make it more likely that one should fall after leaving.
Old Dec 6th 2013, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
US hospitals - and doctors of all kinds - are scared witless of being sued for tens of millions for the slightest injury.
Insurance companies, including Medicare will not pay for any hospital acquired illness or injury. So if you fall, and break a hip, the surgery and anything related to that fall then the hospital eats the cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.