British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Odd Customs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/odd-customs-269444/)

tony126 Dec 1st 2004 9:36 am

Re: Odd Customs

I have watched people put fruit on the same plate as their breakfast and dinner. I just can't do it. I mean fancy mixing Birds Custard with the Bisto. :beer: :beer:

rincewind Dec 1st 2004 9:40 am

Originally Posted by tony126
I have watched people put fruit on the same plate as their breakfast and dinner. I just can't do it. I mean fancy mixing Birds Custard with the Bisto. :beer: :beer:

You're not kidding. I watched in horror this Thanksgiving as relations gulped down their dinner and then dumped their dessert on the same plate.

Nothing like Apple Pie with Cool Whip on a plate of gravy and half eaten turkey. Yummy.

The joys of leaving in the south.

Bob Dec 1st 2004 9:49 am

Originally Posted by rincewind
You're not kidding. I watched in horror this Thanksgiving as relations gulped down their dinner and then dumped their dessert on the same plate.

Haven't seen that myself...but nothing wrong with that when having breakfast....tad rank when it's the dinner though :)

Brit'n'TX Dec 1st 2004 9:53 am

Originally Posted by rincewind

Nothing like Apple Pie with Cool Whip on a plate of gravy and half eaten turkey. Yummy.

The joys of leaving in the south.

same in Texas ... but, turning it round, they find it odd because I won't put fruit salad on the same plate as my turkey and trimmings ...

Celtic_Angel Dec 1st 2004 9:58 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The competitiveness, for want of a better word, of Americans to decorate the exterior of their homes during holidays, especially Christmas.

Inflatable this, inflatable that, colored lights, animals of all shapes and sizes yet not enough penguins :(

Oh and nativity scenes in people's front yards...

NC Penguin

All that over the top decoration...I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

It's awesome ,just wish they didn't do it so early!!! We always go for a family drive around the neighbourhoods on Xmas Eve just to get extra Christmassy!!

A few years back (before 3rd kid) my other two were about 4 & 5, my hubby & dad grumpy sods didn't want to come , so i drove around but you know how some of these subdivisions can be, i kinda lost my way, the windows started getting foggy we rolled them down a tad and up ahead i could see one of those life size Santa statues on somebody's lawn(their house was the only one decorated) as we got closer to see the few lights it wasn't a Statue but a real person, he gave the two kids some candy canes and asked them what they wanted for Xmas, told them to be good etc....heck it brings tears to my eyes just thinking about it ...it was so magical....they mention it to this day....the time they got a glimpse of the "Real Santa" :)

Bob Dec 2nd 2004 2:23 am

Could just be around here, but I've noticed, when people send cards for events, birthdays, x-mas, whatever, they don't tend to write messages, just to/from and whatever the card said...anyone else get that?

NC Penguin Dec 2nd 2004 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Could just be around here, but I've noticed, when people send cards for events, birthdays, x-mas, whatever, they don't tend to write messages, just to/from and whatever the card said...anyone else get that?

Oh yeah! My spouse writes cards like that. I don't like it that he can't be bothered to write a personal message in greetings cards... :rolleyes:

Which reminds me. Time to get moving writing the Christmas cards, especially the ones going overseas...

NC Penguin

Bob Dec 2nd 2004 3:22 am

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Which reminds me. Time to get moving writing the Christmas cards, especially the ones going overseas...

Aye, I've been scribbling messages in the cards, been writing a few every night for the last week, and collecting addresses from mates, so many keep moving around it's hard keeping track, doubly hard that they only reply with new email addresses first :)

tony126 Dec 2nd 2004 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Bob

I have to be honest and say that that sums me up. The reason being is that I take care to pick cards that have a verse that expresses my feelings. I cannot see the point in adding to it. If the words are right the price does not matter.

tony126 Dec 2nd 2004 3:27 am

I have just spent 5 days in hospital. One of our friends brought me a 'sunshine box'. This consisted of various small items such as comb, sample chocolate, ice scraper etc etc with a message attached to each individual little package. They had to be opened at meal times (3) each day. The lady does it for all her friends who happen to have to go to hospital. I thought it was a nice touch.

ScyLarc Dec 2nd 2004 3:33 am

I've only been here for a month but i have noticed that Christmas is referred to as "The Holidays". The TV adverts have people wishing others a Happy Holiday not a Happy Christmas, and I even saw a Santa's grotto described as a Winter Holiday Grotto......am i missing something here?

Bob Dec 2nd 2004 4:24 am

Originally Posted by tony126
I have to be honest and say that that sums me up. The reason being is that I take care to pick cards that have a verse that expresses my feelings. I cannot see the point in adding to it. If the words are right the price does not matter.

I know what you mean, but a lot of these cards don't have any great messages...cards from walmart and the like...

Bob Dec 2nd 2004 4:24 am

Originally Posted by ScyLarc
I've only been here for a month but i have noticed that Christmas is referred to as "The Holidays". The TV adverts have people wishing others a Happy Holiday not a Happy Christmas, and I even saw a Santa's grotto described as a Winter Holiday Grotto......am i missing something here?

People don't want to offend other religions probably :D

Yosser Dec 2nd 2004 5:12 am

Don't know if its just me, but we used to say Father Christmas more than Santa?

Every now and then I still let it slip and my 4 year old looks at me all puzzled!

Taffyles Dec 2nd 2004 5:29 am

Originally Posted by ScyLarc

Yes its Merry Christmas here or Happy Holidays and Happy New YearS...I prefer a Happy Christmas and a very merry New Year...hic...