Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb DCF London

Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb DCF London

Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Shermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to all
Default Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb DCF London

So guys, I think that we all might be driving ourselves crazy looking at the embassy website updates and checking updated timelines. It seems that they're moving slowly and we're pulling hair out trying to guess when it'll be our turn to move forward.

I figured let's find something else to talk about or connect on for a short time.

What is everyone going to miss most about living in the UK?
Do you know where you plan to move to in the US and have you been there before?
What are you expecting life to be like?

Without a doubt I'll miss my family most, I'll be going from having four siblings and three nieces and nephews to living with my husband and his parents. They're not a big family and I know I'll miss that, especially around the holidays. Also, living in London and going to TN will be an adjustment. I can literally walk 1min to find a shop here but in TN I'd be crazy to try and walk to the store.
I'm not at all sure what I'm expecting life to be like, I'm just looking forward to being with my husband again. And really making plans for a family of our own. I'm not sure about the whole American Dream concept, I don't think that exists in this economy. But I'm all for the pursuit of happiness idea!

Over to you...
Old Feb 4th 2011, 11:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oct/Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb DCF London

Originally Posted by Shermeen.Adam
I figured let's find something else to talk about or connect on for a short time.
With respect, this is a marriage-based immigration forum... and while a thread may wander, yours is clearly not part of that milieu! This belongs in a more general forum, so perhaps a moderator can move it.

Ian
Old Feb 5th 2011, 1:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
With respect, this is a marriage-based immigration forum... and while a thread may wander, yours is clearly not part of that milieu! This belongs in a more general forum, so perhaps a moderator can move it.

Ian
hahah.. the moderator gave her karma for starting a clever thread.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

joannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to alljoannabanana is a name known to all

So guys, I think that we all might be driving ourselves crazy looking at the embassy website updates and checking updated timelines. It seems that they're moving slowly and we're pulling hair out trying to guess when it'll be our turn to move forward.

Without a doubt I'll miss my family most, I'll be going from having four siblings and three nieces and nephews to living with my husband and his parents. They're not a big family and I know I'll miss that, especially around the holidays. Also, living in London and going to TN will be an adjustment. I can literally walk 1min to find a shop here but in TN I'd be crazy to try and walk to the store.
I'm not at all sure what I'm expecting life to be like, I'm just looking forward to being with my husband again. And really making plans for a family of our own. I'm not sure about the whole American Dream concept, I don't think that exists in this economy. But I'm all for the pursuit of happiness idea!

Over to you...

Family, for sure, and you never stop missing them. then the travel - going to paris for a long weekend, ...heaven! full english breakfasts. and once in a while (a very long while....) a rainy windy night sat by the fire watching topgear!

I used to live in southern california, in a little town by the beach and we are moving right back there.

looking forward to warm evenings, wearing flip flops every day, trader joes, taking my little boy to the beach every day , my old friends, shopping malls road trips to san fran, the general positive attitude.... and not looking forward to being mistaken for an austrailian all the time (got the international accent ) letting my doggy run off the leash in the country side, pushy california women (!!!) and the stress that goes with a culture that never stops. but I'm pretty lucky, have lived in both places and I find it a lot easier now I know what to expect. one thing you arn't prepared for when you move is the emotional aspect where sometimes you literally ache from homesickness... be prepared! other than that...can't wait!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Shermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to allShermeen.Adam is a name known to all

I didn't even think of the full English breakfast that I'm gonna miss! Pancakes are good but not the same. Though the Americans do put cheese in their scrambled egg and I love that! Generally I do love American fast food, Tacco Bell, Chilli's and Dennys are my favourite places to go over there. I can just see myself putting on SO much weight!

Having mainland Europe right on your doorstep is also something to miss, I dread to think how much a holiday in Italy will cost from the US. And I've always wanted to go to Greece and haven't been able to yet. Not sure that I'd want to go without my husband and he's back in the US already.

And why do people think that we sound Australian? I don't at all think I've picked up my husbands accent but apparently sometimes I sound, not American but Austrailian! Insane. One thing I really don't want to loose is my British accent, I think its much better than the American accent. I cannot tell you how many disagreements that's started between me and my husband. Constantly the battle of which country is greater and of course everytime he says "ya'll are just angry cause you lost the war".

I'm not sure yet if i'm prepared for the realities of moving. So far everyone in this marriage based forum has been talking about watching timelines, I've been so focused on that, I didn't think about making the most of however long I have left here. Maybe I won't go to Greece without my husband but noboday said anything about France or Rome. And since I know I'll be one of those people who get really homesick, think a few more nights out with the girls and sleepovers with the nieces and nephew are in order!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:58 am
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

I'm filing USA, October.

What will I miss?

Family and wonderful friends certainly. I have a Brother in Cyprus, so I know this will be hard on my parents.

I've had a season ticket with Newcastle United for 18+ years. It will be a wrench to leave. BUT, with the way our current owner is running the club, perhaps an outside view will be helpful, and I can at least see every game online, live, or a delayed coverage.

Food wise, I'll miss Mars Bars and Black pudding!, and I'm bringing a lot of Ringtons tea bags with me. We still get the tea delivered to our door so my Mam and Dad have said they will send me more when I need it. I've managed to source some Black Pudding locally too.

I'm Moving to Virginia to be with the most wonderful and Beautiful Wife ever. I spent three months there last Summer.

Last edited by Brucky; Feb 5th 2011 at 10:04 am.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
hahah.. the moderator gave her karma for starting a clever thread.
Read it... fair enough! As Sheila often quotes from her favorite movie, "As you wish".

Ian
Old Feb 5th 2011, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brucky

Food wise, I'll miss Mars Bars and Black pudding!, and I'm bringing a lot of Ringtons tea bags with me. We still get the tea delivered to our door so my Mam and Dad have said they will send me more when I need it. I've managed to source some Black Pudding locally too.

I'm Moving to Virginia to be with the most wonderful and Beautiful Wife ever. I spent three months there last Summer.
lol! Black pudding! Had the husband try it once and he about threw up! I used to love it as a child but now can't bring myself to eat it. And as I Brit I do love a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit in the evening, a tradition I shall not break. I think I'll probably have my family send me over Jaffa Cakes because I think they are the best biscuit/cake ever made. I shan't start the never ending debate of "is it a cake is it a biscuit?", in the supermarket its next to the rich tea so that decides it for me!

Is anybody else doing DCF London alone? My husband left shortly after we filed and though it makes sense for him to get everything set up over there (job, car etc) it is lonely being without him again xx
Old Feb 5th 2011, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

Im not DCF ,, We filed in the US In dec but im still going to join in We've already spent 6 months apart, and have probably 7 or 8 more to go... it suuuucks

What is everyone going to miss most about living in the UK? Quite a few things. 1) The excellent public transport we have in place in the UK. 2) Our great priced monthly mobile phone plans 3) Being able to park somewhere all day, and do all my shopping on foot, rather than whizzing around everywhere in the car 4) All the food items I never really eat anyway, but always crave when I cant have them (monster munch, jaffa cakes, crunchies etc)

Do you know where you plan to move to in the US and have you been there before? Yes Wilson, north carolina. This is where hubby works. Whilst I was on my I-130 we lived in greenville, NC for 2 years, then wilson, NC for 2 years so yep I have been there before. Its not a very big town, but it has everything we need, and raleigh is not too far away.

What are you expecting life to be like? The same as it was when I lived there 2 years, but minus the boredom of staying at home on my own all day. I cannot wait to work again, its been 5 years now since my last job and I am beyond excited to get out into the world and make my own friends, and earn some of my own money I also cant wait for what another poster said, wearing flip flops allll the time !!

Last edited by britishspouse; Feb 5th 2011 at 2:18 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britishspouse
Im not DCF ,, We filed in the US In dec but im still going to join in We've already spent 6 months apart, and have probably 7 or 8 more to go... it suuuucks

What is everyone going to miss most about living in the UK? Quite a few things. 1) The excellent public transport we have in place in the UK. 2) Our great priced monthly mobile phone plans 3) Being able to park somewhere all day, and do all my shopping on foot, rather than whizzing around everywhere in the car 4) All the food items I never really eat anyway, but always crave when I cant have them (monster munch, jaffa cakes, crunchies etc)

Do you know where you plan to move to in the US and have you been there before? Yes Wilson, north carolina. This is where hubby works. Whilst I was on my I-130 we lived in greenville, NC for 2 years, then wilson, NC for 2 years so yep I have been there before. Its not a very big town, but it has everything we need, and raleigh is not too far away.

What are you expecting life to be like? The same as it was when I lived there 2 years, but minus the boredom of staying at home on my own all day. I cannot wait to work again, its been 5 years now since my last job and I am beyond excited to get out into the world and make my own friends, and earn some of my own money I also cant wait for what another poster said, wearing flip flops allll the time !!

I think starting this thread was a mistake because you're all reminding me of how AWESOME the UK is! Can America compete?

I think that our public transport (despite the strikes and inability to operate when it snows) is considered one of the best in the world. For all of my life I've taken the same bus to school and now to work...I shall miss this bus. I wonder if the driver would think I'm strange if I stand in front of it and have a picture taken! lol!

You've lived in the US before, so you're an expert compared to me. What was your status then? I didn't realise you could live over there on an I-130, how comes you're apart again? I hope that I don't have to be away from my husband as long as you, mine hasn't discovered the beauty of a webcam...or digital camera yet. No skype in my household just good old long distance calling plans.

One of the major things that worries me is finding work over there, here in London it's tough and I'm not sure what to expect when I get to TN as I've not yet settled into one career field. Are you nervous after having such a long career break? And of course, who can replace the best friends I've had since High School? xx
Old Feb 5th 2011, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

britishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to allbritishspouse is a name known to all

I think starting this thread was a mistake because you're all reminding me of how AWESOME the UK is! Can America compete?

I think that our public transport (despite the strikes and inability to operate when it snows) is considered one of the best in the world. For all of my life I've taken the same bus to school and now to work...I shall miss this bus. I wonder if the driver would think I'm strange if I stand in front of it and have a picture taken! lol!

You've lived in the US before, so you're an expert compared to me. What was your status then? I didn't realise you could live over there on an I-130, how comes you're apart again? I hope that I don't have to be away from my husband as long as you, mine hasn't discovered the beauty of a webcam...or digital camera yet. No skype in my household just good old long distance calling plans.

One of the major things that worries me is finding work over there, here in London it's tough and I'm not sure what to expect when I get to TN as I've not yet settled into one career field. Are you nervous after having such a long career break? And of course, who can replace the best friends I've had since High School? xx
You cant, I meant to type F1 Visa.. lol, shall edit it now( wont let me edit it, can anyone edit it?). Its just that all I have on the brain right now is the I-130 so typed that haha. We have been apart since june 2010, because the plan was for me to come home, find work and a house then him move over. But ive had no luck finding a job, and because of that his UK visa was denied So we filed the I-130 in dec. Would of done it straight away with the UK Visa if i knew getting a job would of been this tough We spent xmas together, and in march im going again for 2 months so thankfully it will break up the time nicely. Im hoping for a move date of september, if all goes well. July/august will be 8 months from when we filed , so fingers crossed.

Awww. I couldnt live without skype, we use it everyday, I think id go a bit more insane without it lol.

Im def nervous about such a long career break but thankfully a friend of ours is a manager at a big super-target and has told me I have a job waiting for me, whenever I get everything sorted and get back there, so thats good news. I cannot wait to get it and make some new friends, ill miss my ones here, but most of em have moved away themselves so Im just looking forward to making some new 'girlfriends' as they say over there lol. I also want to go back to college over there and get a 4 year degree, as mine was only an associates degree. But work comes first for sure, having two incomes will make a nice chnage, we strugled by on one for 4 years, so bring in the moolah lol

Last edited by britishspouse; Feb 5th 2011 at 9:05 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:32 am
Account Closed

I wonder if the driver would think I'm strange if I stand in front of it and have a picture taken!
Be sure the bus isn't moving at the time!

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2011, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britishspouse
I meant to type F1 Visa.. lol, shall edit it now( wont let me edit it, can anyone edit it?).
I believe you have only 2 hours in which to edit.

Ian
Old Feb 6th 2011, 8:58 am
CR1 VISA

Brucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud ofBrucky has much to be proud of

lol! Black pudding! Had the husband try it once and he about threw up! I used to love it as a child but now can't bring myself to eat it. And as I Brit I do love a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit in the evening, a tradition I shall not break. I think I'll probably have my family send me over Jaffa Cakes because I think they are the best biscuit/cake ever made. I shan't start the never ending debate of "is it a cake is it a biscuit?", in the supermarket its next to the rich tea so that decides it for me!
A friend told me last night that it is easy to make your own Black Pudding if you can buy dried pigs blood. It is a 2 hour drive for me to buy BP where I'll be living so this idea sounds interesting. Having said that, I very much doubt my Wife would be too impressed if I was let loose in the kitchen with this lol.

Jaffa cakes are awesome!, damnit, I want to stick a box of them in my future suitcase now.

Speaking of public transport, my local metro train system was off yesterday for eng.workx and they had a replacement bus on. 50,000 travelling to the match, you can imagine the roads to be very busy. They were but everything ran ok, and I was home in good time.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

Psychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nicePsychosleftpeg is just really nice

Hi, I DCF'd about a week ago so...

1) Definitely family. Its weird to think that from later this year I will only see my parents a few dozen times in all likelihood. That might be tough. 2) I'll also miss living in the ex pit village that ive virtually always lived in. It has a very unique community and mind set that will take a while to get out of. I think i'll just get everyone I know in America to watch 'Brassed Off' and then maybe they'll understand. 3) Being able to watch Nottingham Forest . I guarantee we'll get promoted just as im leaving the country and cant watch them anymore

Yup, Albuquerque, NM. I have spent a fair bit of time there, though only on the VWP as that is where my wife is from and where her family still is.

I really dont know. Ive never had to 'live' in NM so I dont entirely know what to expect. I know the first few months will be insanely busy, and hot, but beyond that i'll just have to see. I have worked in the U.S. before but that was for a British company and was in Maryland (never did find the cookie factory) which is NOTHING like NM. The biggest thing that i'm unsure about is what its like to work alongside and for Americans, but I look forward to finding out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.