British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Obtaining Texas driver's license with no SSN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/obtaining-texas-drivers-license-no-ssn-531024/)

Lisa100 Apr 21st 2008 3:05 pm

Obtaining Texas driver's license with no SSN

I just moved to Houston month ago and I have not converted my Wisconsin license to a Texas one. I looked on the TPS website, it states that if you do not have a primary document, you can use:

one piece of secondary identification plus two pieces of support identification; or
two pieces of secondary identification.

So, would I be able to use my WI license (secondary ID) plus Canadian Passport & 2 years continuous insurance policy (supporting documents)

Or

WI license & Canadian Birth Certificate (secondary ID) plus Canadian Passport (supporting document)

I have called the TPS customer service line for them to clarify the documents needed and the lady wasn't sure if a Canadian Birth Certificate was considered secondary or not. However, she did state that if I had no SSN, I could sign an affidavit stating that. Has anyone here applied for a DL using their Canadian birth certificate? I do not have any primary documents just secondary and supporting.

augigi Apr 21st 2008 5:40 pm

Re: Obtaining Texas driver's license with no SSN

You do have primary documents. Anything with your name, photo and DOB is primary. You have a WI license, as well as a passport which are primary. You should just hand in your WI license and get a TX one.

Their website says if you have never had a SSN, you must fill out form DL-13 and swear it in front of a DMV employee (it says the DMV should have these forms).

1) I am new to Texas, what do I need to do in order to get a Texas license?
A new resident moving into Texas who has a valid driver license from his home state, has 30 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas driver license. In addition to testing, all first time original applicants must visit a Texas Driver License office and present and do the following:

New residents previously licensed in another state:
-Proof of Identity
-Proof of Social Security Number
-Proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance, if you own a vehicle.
-Complete required forms available at any Texas Driver License office
-Pay the required fee
-Pass the vision exam

Application must include photograph and thumbprints; however, thumbprints are not included on the driver license.
If you have a VALID out-of-state license in your possession, please bring it to the driver license office to surrender.
NOTE: If you have an EXPIRED out-of-state license, you will be required to pass both the written and driving* exams, in addition to a vision test.

meauxna Apr 21st 2008 6:09 pm

Lisa, what is your immigration status?

lisa67 Apr 22nd 2008 12:08 am

MyOH recently received his Texas license after giving them his MI license and showing his passport (UK). He didn't apply withing the 30 day rule and they didn't seem to mind. I'm off to do mine tomorrow.