British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Obtaining SSN number........(and how long) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/obtaining-ssn-number-how-long-197582/)

waxwabbit Dec 18th 2003 2:55 pm

Obtaining SSN number........(and how long)

Hello guys

On my visa, Im sure I ticked the box which said to automatically get a SSN, but Im wondering if that was a good option, as Im sure some others said they had done this and waited ages to get it.

Is there anything I can do to speed it up, or if not, can u tell me how long it took u to get it please?

:eek:

Dufus Dec 18th 2003 3:12 pm

Hi there,

I ticked the same box and entered USA and waited, and waited. Then I came back to London and got it resolved at the Embassy.

If I were you after you wait 3 weeks go to a local office in the USA, don't wait any longer. You can probably go in before the 3 weeks.

good luck

FlyergirlUK Dec 18th 2003 3:14 pm

Hmmm, I never got to tick any box.
I just went down to my local SSA office and applied for mine on Monday; they told me I should get it in a week or so.

Duncan Roberts Dec 18th 2003 3:26 pm

i ticked the box, then asap went to the ss office. took 10 days to come

Steffi Dec 18th 2003 5:37 pm

Re: Obtaining SSN number........(and how long)

I entered the US on a K1 fiance visa on August 31st, went to my closest SS office in Atlanta on September 22nd and was told I wasn't in the "SAVE system" yet. Went back October 1st, applied for it and finally got it in the mail October 20th (not exactly "2 weeks" like they told me when I applied, but at least it arrived).

markdee Dec 18th 2003 7:14 pm

Originally posted by Steffi
I entered the US on a K1 fiance visa on August 31st, went to my closest SS office in Atlanta on September 22nd and was told I wasn't in the "SAVE system" yet. Went back October 1st, applied for it and finally got it in the mail October 20th (not exactly "2 weeks" like they told me when I applied, but at least it arrived).

Hi

I arrived in New Jersey on November 8th on a H1 and applied for my SSN on Monday the 10th. It finally arrived in the post last Thursday, December 11th. At last I can open a bank account...!

Duncs Dec 18th 2003 8:34 pm

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Hello guys

On my visa, Im sure I ticked the box which said to automatically get a SSN, but Im wondering if that was a good option, as Im sure some others said they had done this and waited ages to get it.

Is there anything I can do to speed it up, or if not, can u tell me how long it took u to get it please?

:eek:
I ticked the box but went down to the office to apply as well. After DCF through london I arrived on a CR-1 visa in Atlanta in oct 2003 and got my perm resident card(green card) within 3 weeks. As i understand it the new system requires that all documents go from Social security to the DHS(INS) then after they confirm your status it goes back to Soc Sec agency then you get a SSN card. I applied in Jackson mississippi and my stuff went to texas then back to mississippi again. It took 7 weeks to arrive and in that time i could not get a driving licence or open a bank account. it was very frustrating.

i would be wary of expecting it to come soon as the patriot act has slowed down lots of these things for additional security checks. On top of that the head of Social Sec got his ass roasted in congress recently becuase the FBI were able to obtain fake cards too easily in test operations they ran during the summer. Since then its all got much tighter.

regards,

Duncan

CitySimon Dec 18th 2003 10:43 pm

As with most of the other posts I ticked the box and waited... and waited... and waited......

Only when I got bored and went to the local SS office with my green card that I got a (very fast) result... My card came about a week later.

CitySimon Dec 18th 2003 10:46 pm

Further to my previous post...

I am sure that you already know this Waxy but don't carry your card with you EVER!!

That number is your life over here! If a person knows your SSN they can (in theory) take your identity and really fu@k you up!!

Rockgurl Dec 19th 2003 2:36 am

Ticking the box is a waste of time. I went straight to the SS office when I got here, and it took a week to arrive after that.

datcha Dec 19th 2003 5:24 am

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Ticking the box is a waste of time. I went straight to the SS office when I got here, and it took a week to arrive after that.
Yup, same here. Had the added bonus of SS office staff both on the phone and in person vehemently deny any sort of automatic process after getting your immigration visa.

Cheers,
David.

FlyergirlUK Dec 21st 2003 7:37 pm

Originally posted by FlyergirlUK
Hmmm, I never got to tick any box.
I just went down to my local SSA office and applied for mine on Monday; they told me I should get it in a week or so.
Got it today, (well, yesterday actually, Hubby only went out to the mailbox today)!!

:D

Didn't even take a week.

Pharrya Dec 22nd 2003 2:23 am

I went to the local SSA office here in Baltimore, and got it inside a week. This was quite possibly the least problematic part of my whole moving to the US.

The Maryland Drivers license though.......

Britfrombristol Dec 23rd 2003 4:50 pm

Having arrived in the US a week ago on a spousal visa I was keen to obtain my SSN (for obvious reasons).

Despite requesing a SSN on my Visa paperwork I went to the SSN office (in MS where we are staying in the interim with wife's parents) the day after I arrived. The SSN staff are able to cross reference applications with the INS database. The database already showed that I was in the country and she made the request for my number. Whilst the paperwork does take a little while to come through you can go back to the Office the next day and, providing the application has been granted, they will be able to provide you with your SSN straight away. In short, this way a SSN can be obtained within 48 hours of entering the US.

Oh well, it's off to the drving licence office to take my test!!