Reload this Page >

obtaining an SSN

obtaining an SSN

Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

discoVolante is an unknown quantity at this point
Default obtaining an SSN

hey!

i'm moving to NYC next week after finally getting my visa a few weeks ago...

What is the quickest way to get an SSN? I've got the SS5 form and see that i'll probably have to take it along to the office in Jamaica, queens..

Does anybody know if the number gets issued to you there and then?

cheers!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:16 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: obtaining an SSN

they send the number to you a few weeks later. But you can return to the office a day later and ask for the number on a printout.

Its actually best to not make the application for 10-14 days after you arrive in the country - as you should definatly be on the computers by then. If you go before and your not on the computer - they will just leave the form on the side and return to it later (if they remember etc). If you are on the computer they can process your form on the spot and you know its sorted then.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

discoVolante is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the reply and info.

i was hoping i'd be able to get it the day after arriving, oh well!
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:43 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here 4 weeks now and went to the local office 5 days after arriving and has been said, we weren't in the system (it apparently takes 10-14 days) so couldn't get the number. They did however give us a letter that enabled me to get a driver's licence. The SSN came through about 10 days later in the end.

What suprised us was how much we couldn't do without the number.
Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:54 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

From the BritishExpats wiki:

How do I get a social security number?