Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obtaining driving licence in Florida.

Obtaining driving licence in Florida.

Old Apr 20th 2019, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

LiamUK87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining driving licence in Florida.

I have recently moved to Florida on a K1 visa before getting married in March.
I have my social security number now and was looking at getting hold of a Florida drivers licence. I already hold a U.K. one, but my understanding is there’s no “switch” method persé and I would have to take a test etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to go about sorting this? Do I need to do a written exam or is it just hazard perception and a practical test?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining driving licence in Florida.

errr...

https://www.flhsmv.gov/

Does your partner drive?

Last edited by Hotscot; Apr 20th 2019 at 4:46 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LiamUK87
I have recently moved to Florida on a K1 visa before getting married in March.
I have my social security number now and was looking at getting hold of a Florida drivers licence. I already hold a U.K. one, but my understanding is there’s no “switch” method persé and I would have to take a test etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to go about sorting this? Do I need to do a written exam or is it just hazard perception and a practical test?

Any help would be appreciated.
Go to local DMV office and they will book you a test. Assuming the 87 in your username is your birth year you will be able to skip the drink/drug awareness element tat ta the kids have to sit. Can't remember if you have to book for the written part, they might just take you straight through but you would do well to swot up on the drink drive laws and some of the other oddities (I read the handbook through a few times, it's not overly tricky to remember the differences from the British highway code). The written test is taken on PC's and is all multi choice questions which most people with a modicum of common sense should be able to suss out the correct answer.
You definitely have to book a test, which (in Sarasota) involves driving a couple of loops of an area about the size of two tennis courts. Was a doddle in the Accord but my Tundra would have been a tad tricky negotiating the bends.
When the examiner asks you to perform a reverse you have to do it all in old retired cab driver style, ie ignore your mirrors and look over your shoulder!

Make sure your eyesight is up to scratch as the eye test is a little more sophisticated than the British way of testing.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 1:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
.... Was a doddle in the Accord but my Tundra would have been a tad tricky negotiating the bends. ...
I think you're the first person to ever use "tricky" in the context of taking a road test in Florida.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Yeah, the 87 is my birth year. I’m up in the Jacksonville area so I’ll look at booking myself in at the local centre.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!
Old Apr 21st 2019, 1:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think you're the first person to ever use "tricky" in the context of taking a road test in Florida.
Guessing this means it’s pretty simple?

I mean, it took me a second attempt to pass my UK test! but I blame an idiot on the road for that.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 2:29 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Guessing this means it’s pretty simple? ....
It's nowhere near that challenging - you are about to discover why the standard of driving in the US is so utterly appalling!
Old Apr 21st 2019, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

All you need to do is be able to drive a Cadillac with the left blinker on and you're set!

Seriously, it's nothing to worry about (assuming it's similar yo Georgia!). The person dealt with even forgot to take me out for the road test until I reminded her!
Old Apr 21st 2019, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
'Road test' is stretching the definition, I think they like to keep you away from traffic so that you don't damage their examiners! EDIT: To clarify, the test is off road.

OP: Assuming you're not the kind of moron that goes on the telly to take and fail your UK test 30 times there is no reason that you shouldn't pass the Florida test first time ( the aforementioned morons might need to take it a second time, but I doubt it!!)
Old Apr 21st 2019, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Do some reading up on the written part beforehand. Know the signs as there are some differences (e.g. divided highway). Understand the DUI laws and stopping distances.

When you're driving and see a stop sign or for whatever reason need to stop, then come to a complete stop. Feel the car motion jolt. You'll know what I mean.

The rest is mindless.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
Do some reading up on the written part beforehand. Know the signs as there are some differences (e.g. divided highway). Understand the DUI laws and stopping distances.

When you're driving and see a stop sign or for whatever reason need to stop, then come to a complete stop. Feel the car motion jolt. You'll know what I mean.

The rest is mindless.
Yeah, I’ve done a few practice ones online and got caught out on a couple of the signs. I’ll brush up on my knowledge before hand.

Plus I have to stop and really think about the whole right/left thing because of the driving on the other side malarkey...
Old Apr 21st 2019, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Plus I have to stop and really think about the whole right/left thing because of the driving on the other side malarkey...

That'll be a good use of 20 minutes then.
Old Apr 21st 2019, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotscot
That'll be a good use of 20 minutes then.
I agree. I've had no issues with that.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 12:36 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I’ve done a few practice ones online and got caught out on a couple of the signs. I’ll brush up on my knowledge before hand.

the left / right thing is pretty easy, since the steering wheel is closest to the center line (not like a UK car in Europe), if you are driving stick/manual you would have to get used to changing gears with a different hand, but most cars are automatic over here.

Other than the other road users generally being terrible (lack of indicating, tailgating, cutting in) the biggest differences for me were really; right on red, different types of junctions with multiple stop signs, stopping in both directions when a school bus has its stop sign out . The other observation is lack of roundabouts...

I would say the only driving test I have taken that was easier than the NY one was a Cook Islands one.

Last edited by tht; Apr 22nd 2019 at 1:31 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by tht
The left / right thing is pretty easy, since the steering wheel is closest to the center line ….
Wow, I'd never noticed that!
…. stopping in both directions when a school bus has its stop sign out. ...
There are some subtle differences in that law between states.
The other observation is lack of roundabouts...
That varies between states too - there are a fair number in NC (nowhere near the number in the UK, of course) and more are coming. I hear it is the same in Illinois.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 22nd 2019 at 1:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.