British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Obtaining Drivers License In Georgia, Only a provisional UK driving License 2 my name (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/obtaining-drivers-license-georgia-only-provisional-uk-driving-license-2-my-name-876767/)

Jerseygirl May 1st 2016 5:57 pm

Re: Obtaining Drivers License In Georgia, Only a provisional UK driving License 2 my

After 9/11 I thought most states had tightened up security for issuing driving licenses. Don't most states require a SS number, proof of residency of that state etc...now? Looks like Georgia does...

Georgia New License Application Info | DMV.org

scrubbedexpat099 May 1st 2016 6:04 pm

Re: Obtaining Drivers License In Georgia, Only a provisional UK driving License 2 my

Illegals can get a DL in Colorado and other progressive States.

mrken30 May 1st 2016 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11936884)
Most people do not use lawyers for family immigration.

Blame my wife for that.

Nutmegger May 1st 2016 6:13 pm

Doesn't the OP state that he is already in an overstay situation and has been advised by counsel not to leave the country until his situation is resolved by marriage and the subsequent adjustment?

petitefrancaise May 1st 2016 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11936895)
Illegals can get a DL in Colorado and other progressive States.

can they?

for colorado
Non-lawfully present individuals must prove their full
legal name, identity, date of birth and document their
ITIN issued by the Internal Revenue Service.

how would you get an ITIN?

scrubbedexpat099 May 1st 2016 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11936899)
can they?

how would you get an ITIN?

Apply

Bob May 1st 2016 6:16 pm

Not having a UK license, means you'll have to check the are requirements of the state. Some states waive a lot of the rubbish for those over 21 to get a learners permit and requirements for x number of hours of holding a learners permit before being able to take the test.

If that stuff isn't waived, then you've got all that guff that a spotty 15 year old has to go through. No shorts cuts for a provisional UK license.

petitefrancaise May 1st 2016 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 11936900)
Apply

quite.
I'm assuming that you'd need lawful presence to get an ITIN?
My kids had these until they had green cards and I seem to remember having to provide documentation of their status.

scrubbedexpat099 May 1st 2016 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11936903)
quite.

Nope

civilservant May 1st 2016 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11936888)
After 9/11 I thought most states had tightened up security for issuing driving licenses. Don't most states require a SS number, proof of residency of that state etc...now? Looks like Georgia does...

Georgia New License Application Info | DMV.org

They did - they wouldn't accept my 1 year extension in one GA DMV office because my GC was expired. Luckily they did in another office.

Rete May 1st 2016 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11936903)
quite.
My kids had these until they had green cards and I seem to remember having to provide documentation of their status.

No, you need only to file a US federal tax return. I do believe it has been changed that an ITIN is only obtainable with the filing of a return.

BubbleChog May 1st 2016 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11936901)
Not having a UK license, means you'll have to check the are requirements of the state. Some states waive a lot of the rubbish for those over 21 to get a learners permit and requirements for x number of hours of holding a learners permit before being able to take the test.

If that stuff isn't waived, then you've got all that guff that a spotty 15 year old has to go through. No shorts cuts for a provisional UK license.

As I am significantly over 21 I was able to avoid most of the additional tests and videos for the learners permit.

I did the road signs and highway code tests on the computer at the DMV but I had all the proof I needed for a lawful immigration status so I could get my learners permit that day.

GA isn't known for being a particularly progressive state so I wouldn't be surprised if getting a permit or full license is harder than in Colorado

civilservant May 1st 2016 8:09 pm

I was also over 21, so just had to do the basic multiple choice test and the road test. I did have to sign a form saying I had had 40 hours of instruction though.

petitefrancaise May 1st 2016 8:35 pm

oh, I had it easy, all I had to do was live in France, get pulled over for some stupid thing,, be forced to exchange UK license for a french one but when I came to the US, all I had to do was exchange licenses...

see, easy.

:confused:

Jerseygirl May 1st 2016 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 11936970)
oh, I had it easy, all I had to do was live in France, get pulled over for some stupid thing,, be forced to exchange UK license for a french one but when I came to the US, all I had to do was exchange licenses...

see, easy.

:confused:

It depends what state you are living in. Like with most things...different states have different rules/laws.