Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obtaining Drivers License In Georgia, Only a provisional UK driving License 2 my name

Obtaining Drivers License In Georgia, Only a provisional UK driving License 2 my name

Old May 1st 2016, 3:52 am
Just Joined

turvatron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Obtaining Drivers License In Georgia, Only a provisional UK driving License 2 my name

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some advice on what i am going to have to do to get my driving license in Georgia. I Currently only hold a PROVISIONAL UK driving license.

I have already done all my research into becoming a citizen and i know what i need to do, i am getting married in 3 weeks, to the love of my life, the reason i am here is because of her, then i will apply to adjust my status as i am here overstaying a VWP. I have seeked lawyers advise on all the paperwork and we are well prepared.

I would like to get my driving license here in GA. I have looked on many advice points on the dmv but there is nothing tailored to my exact situation, ie, A british national, obtaining US residency (green Card) learning to drive in georgia.

Can anybody please help me on the logistics of what i need to do in this process?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 1st 2016, 3:58 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining Drivers License In Georgia, Only a provisional UK driving License 2 my

You will need to wait until you have a SSN and EAD in hand, then you can take the written and road test to get your license.

Rene
Old May 1st 2016, 4:04 am
Just Joined

turvatron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obtaining Drivers License In Georgia, Only a provisional UK driving License 2 my

and thats it? as easy as that?! sounds great. do i need a permit? i am 28 years of age. thanks for your quick response!
Old May 1st 2016, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

In Georgia use the official Department of Driver Services site for the correct info, there are other sites out on the net but this is the official one
Home - Department of Driver Services

There is a section : Information for Non-US Citizens, it states you will need to prove your legal status in order to obtain a license, if you don't yet have your green card or a visa stamped in your passport but have been resident in the state for more than 30 days then legally you should not be driving until you gain legal status.

Once you have a legal right to remain then the driving exam and test are easy. The is a link to a typical exam and the drivers manual on the above mentioned website
Old May 1st 2016, 5:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turvatron
Hi all,

I have already done all my research into becoming a citizen and i know what i need to do, i am getting married in 3 weeks, to the love of my life, the reason i am here is because of her, then i will apply to adjust my status as i am here overstaying a VWP. I have seeked lawyers advise on all the paperwork and we are well prepared.

It took me a year to get my spouse visa and subsequently my green card. I had to stay in the UK while my wife was in the US. Not sure if the time will vary as you are intending to adjust your status here while on a visa waiver.
Old May 1st 2016, 5:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
It took me a year to get my spouse visa and subsequently my green card. I had to stay in the UK while my wife was in the US. Not sure if the time will vary as you are intending to adjust your status here while on a visa waiver.
Your situation is completely different to that of the OP.

Rene
Old May 1st 2016, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

I've just done this here in ATL.

If you intend to have driving lessons and/or practice driving before you take your test then you need a learners permit.

Instructional Permit (Class CP)

As you need to have proof of your lawful LPR status I don't think you will be applying anytime soon
Old May 1st 2016, 2:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turvatron
and thats it? as easy as that?! sounds great. do i need a permit? i am 28 years of age. thanks for your quick response!
You do realise that overstaying on a VWP could have consequences, AOS from the VWP is fraught with dangers, so You would be best to keep your head down and wait till you get the AOS complete and have a green card in hand BEFORE doing anything else at all, and ensure that you do NOT come to the attention of any law enforcement agencies.
Old May 1st 2016, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You do realise that overstaying on a VWP could have consequences, AOS from the VWP is fraught with dangers, so You would be best to keep your head down and wait till you get the AOS complete and have a green card in hand BEFORE doing anything else at all, and ensure that you do NOT come to the attention of any law enforcement agencies.

Usually for most States the first thing you get is EAD which allows you to apply for a DL.
Old May 1st 2016, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Your situation is completely different to that of the OP.

Rene
My situation was exactly the same, except I decided it was better not to over stay my VWP and returned back to the UK while my new wife remained in the US. It may not have been the best option, it's the option our immigration lawyer recommended. She said overstaying on a visa waiver may cause complications. We just got a lot of airmiles going back and forth for a year.
Old May 1st 2016, 5:41 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Your immigration status is checked on the computer at the drivers license center. If your status is at all dubious, then I wouldn't even attempt to get a license.
Old May 1st 2016, 5:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mrken30
My situation was exactly the same, except I decided it was better not to over stay my VWP and returned back to the UK while my new wife remained in the US. It may not have been the best option, it's the option our immigration lawyer recommended. She said overstaying on a visa waiver may cause complications. We just got a lot of airmiles going back and forth for a year.
Most immigration lawyers would say the opposite btw.
Old May 1st 2016, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Boiler
Most immigration lawyers would say the opposite btw.
That's interesting, we just used a lawyer a friend recommended. Different lawyers have different experiences and opinions. It would have saved a lot of money on flights and I would have sold my house at the height of the property market instead of the low. Maybe lawyers earn more going the consular route. How long does AOS generally take?

Live and learn.

Last edited by mrken30; May 1st 2016 at 5:51 pm.
Old May 1st 2016, 5:51 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I took the test in GA last August. Laughably easy.

Reverse 100 feet in a straight line, parallel park in enough space for an Abrams Tank, and a short ride around a single lane roads.
Old May 1st 2016, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

Most people do not use lawyers for family immigration.

VWP Express seems to be the norm amongst people I have actually met.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.