Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obtaining American Passports in the UK

Obtaining American Passports in the UK

Old May 5th 2016, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Fair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really nice
Default Obtaining American Passports in the UK

Hope I am posting in the right place.

My children who have dual cit. need new US passports. Are we still required to visit the US Embassy in person in London or is it now possible to apply directly to the USA for passports like you can apply to UK Gov for UK passports when living in the USA? (Hope that makes sense).

Thanks.
Old May 5th 2016, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obtaining American Passports in the UK

I was wondering the same as my DH's US passport runs out in March 2017. Last time he renewed we didn't visit the embassy. We had a courier pick up the package, take it to the embassy, printing is in the US, fortnight later new passport couriered to my work. I expect this is still what happens.
Old May 5th 2016, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Fair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really nice

I think it is different for children under 15. In fact they request that both parents attend too and if not that you get a form notarised. Last time I had to get documents notarised, the ONLY place I found a notary was in the US Embassy.

Anyone else any insight?
Old May 5th 2016, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

I would not mind but the appointments for a passport are only before 10 am which means leaving really early to get into London. Surely the US have a better system than this or are they just trying to make this really difficult for children to get renewed passports?
Old May 5th 2016, 9:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

All the information you need is on the US Embassy's website.

When applying to renew a U.S. passport for a child under 16 you must apply in person through a pre-arranged appointment. It is essential that the child appear in person.
https://uk.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen...the-age-of-16/
Old May 5th 2016, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I knew you had to register the births of children in person, but not that passport renewals had to be done at the embassy too.

Got a couple of suggestions though neither may help. Are you in or nearer to Scotland? I think there's an embassy in Edinburgh, maybe they do citizen services there?

Or could you use a relative's address in the US to apply? Send the old passports and application forms to a parent, uncle or aunt using their address on the form, they would mail the new passports to that address, your relative can then post the new passports back to the UK. Using registered post or FedEx etc of course. How would the US passport peeps know you weren't temporarily living with your family for a couple of months?
Old May 5th 2016, 10:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Or could you use a relative's address in the US to apply? Send the old passports and application forms to a parent, uncle or aunt using their address on the form, they would mail the new passports to that address, your relative can then post the new passports back to the UK. Using registered post or FedEx etc of course. How would the US passport peeps know you weren't temporarily living with your family for a couple of months?
Given that it's mandatory for US citizens to enter the United States using a US passport I would suggest it would be very easy for the Department of State to know whether a passport applicant was in the country or not.
Old May 5th 2016, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Given that it's mandatory for US citizens to enter the United States using a US passport I would suggest it would be very easy for the Department of State to know whether a passport applicant was in the country or not.
True, but why would they think to check?
Old May 5th 2016, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
True, but why would they think to check?
Mainly to prevent identity fraud but also possibly to stop exactly what you are suggesting.
Old May 6th 2016, 4:32 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Moot point, really, because applications for a minor child require the minor and parents to appear in person.
Old May 6th 2016, 4:33 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

"If you reside in England or Wales you are required to apply for the passport at the U.S. Embassy in London through a pre-arranged appointment. The appointment should be scheduled in the child’s name and the child is required to appear. The parent(s) may add their name as accompany once the appointment has been scheduled."
Old May 6th 2016, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Moot point, really, because applications for a minor child require the minor and parents to appear in person.
Very true.
Old May 8th 2016, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

RainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond reputeRainyDays has a reputation beyond repute

What's really annoying is that the appointment dates for a first US passport and a renewal of a child's US passport are different. Meaning we'll have to make two 540 mile round-trip journeys to London (as well as my medical appt and visa interview).
Old May 9th 2016, 1:45 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fair Lady
I think it is different for children under 15. In fact they request that both parents attend too and if not that you get a form notarised. Last time I had to get documents notarised, the ONLY place I found a notary was in the US Embassy.

Anyone else any insight?
One of my relatives just had this problem, both parents didn't go, just one (but only that one is a US citizen). She didn't mention anything about getting anything notarized.

There are notaries in the UK but the number is fixed and they charge a fortune.

What this American obsession is with notaries I'll never know.
Old May 9th 2016, 1:48 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fair Lady
I would not mind but the appointments for a passport are only before 10 am which means leaving really early to get into London. Surely the US have a better system than this or are they just trying to make this really difficult for children to get renewed passports?
And you'll get there before 10am and be waiting until lunch time. Been there done that.

Strongly advise not drinking coffee before you go. Or anything at all for that matter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.