British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Obsession with temperature (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/obsession-temperature-386885/)

tony_2003 Jul 25th 2006 10:02 pm

Obsession with temperature

What's up with the obsessive need to know the temperature in this country? Everyone here knows what temperature it was yesterday and what it will be today, tomorrow and this weekend. "It reached 105 yesterday you know". Back in Edinburgh the temperature was "bloody freezin", "mild" or "bloody sweltering".

britvic Jul 25th 2006 10:16 pm

Re: Obsession with temperature

May be there alote more like us than first thought, talking about the weather :D

Partystar Jul 25th 2006 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by tony_2003
What's up with the obsessive need to know the temperature in this country? Everyone here knows what temperature it was yesterday and what it will be today, tomorrow and this weekend. "It reached 105 yesterday you know". Back in Edinburgh the temperature was "bloody freezin", "mild" or "bloody sweltering".

Oneupmanship maybe?!

Irn-bru Jul 25th 2006 10:55 pm

How can you read my mind you're spying on me aren't you ;)
Actually I had the opposite experience in Scotland - I found everyone was obsessed there with temp and I have just brought it with me (drives my hubby mad!)

Tbag Jul 25th 2006 11:20 pm

I blame the weather channel ;) since that came about everyone is an expert. I often tease people and ask them when did they find time to get there Meteorologist degree............... cause so many people will offer up weather info uninvited especially around hurricane season!
And they say we like to talk about the weather? :p

TruBrit Jul 25th 2006 11:37 pm

i find here they talk about the amount of rain fall....for example 'we had 1/4" last night' errr well i think they're talking about the amount of rain and nothing else :eek: ..lol in the uk it's usually just pissing down all the time, i'd never heard of folk measuring the rainfall prior to coming here.... :p

suzimc Jul 26th 2006 2:22 am

It seems to be mainly the phone calls from England that are filled with the talk of weather - they always want to know what it's doing here. Mind you at the moment they are moaning about the heat and I am glad to be in airconditioned comfort :D

Serenity Jul 26th 2006 6:59 am

Seriously! Was talking about the heat here in England with MiL and every day she asks what the temp is. I don't know! Does one need to know more than swelteringly hot!

gsnichol Aug 4th 2006 10:55 pm

Here in Tucson we had tons and tons of rain last week which made the (usually bone-dry) rivers burst their banks. And people call it 'moisture'... to me 'moisture' in the air is that sort of clingy mist that you don't realise is affecting you until you touch your coat/fleece/hair and find it's wringing wet. The monsoon rain here most definitly is not 'moisture' to me...

paddingtongreen Aug 4th 2006 11:51 pm

Scotland is so bloody backward, that's how they mark the thermometers. :D

gruffbrown Aug 4th 2006 11:54 pm

It's 82 degrees.

paddingtongreen Aug 4th 2006 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
It's 82 degrees.

I have 80º, 59% humidity and the dewpoint is 64º.

AdobePinon Aug 5th 2006 12:29 am

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Here in Tucson we had tons and tons of rain last week which made the (usually bone-dry) rivers burst their banks. And people call it 'moisture'... to me 'moisture' in the air is that sort of clingy mist that you don't realise is affecting you until you touch your coat/fleece/hair and find it's wringing wet. The monsoon rain here most definitly is not 'moisture' to me...

Bah! Ten inches of humidity is nothing to worry about.

Lizzi Aug 5th 2006 1:32 am

Because the temp is hellish it's a need to know situation, front page news. 98F today, 104F real feel, it sucks.

NC2Dorset Aug 5th 2006 12:21 pm

I'm the one here in UK trying to convert C to F. Everytime I talk to my parents in NC they are talking about temps up in 104 with a heat index of 120. Never hear anyone say anything about heat index here in UK.

TimFountain Aug 5th 2006 2:57 pm

I'm not sure it is just temperature, I think the obsession is with the weather in general. Having said that, the weather here can be extreme and also change very quickly, one minute sunshine, next minute driving rain, hail, tornados etc. So in some respects I believe the obsession is justified, people need to know what is going on with the weather.

- Tim

franc11s Aug 5th 2006 3:19 pm

what with the "it's 82 degrees in Atlanta", 81 in Duluth, 83 in Norcross, 80 at the Airport, 83 downtown, 82 in the store next to publix where it was only 81 and it's 83 if you move two feet to the right....

I dont friggin care what the temperature is RIGHT NOW in every village in my town within 10 miles. Just tell me what the friggin temp is going to be around here TOMORROW.... Dip Shxts... ;)

TruBrit Aug 5th 2006 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by franc11s
what with the "it's 82 degrees in Atlanta", 81 in Duluth, 83 in Norcross, 80 at the Airport, 83 downtown, 82 in the store next to publix where it was only 81 and it's 83 if you move two feet to the right....

I dont friggin care what the temperature is RIGHT NOW in every village in my town within 10 miles. Just tell me what the friggin temp is going to be around here TOMORROW.... Dip Shxts... ;)

haha just a bit ott as with most things over here :rolleyes:

Chorlton Aug 5th 2006 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Partystar
Oneupmanship maybe?!

Got it in one.

We should give Texas back to Mexico. Its too hot for Europeans :(

gsnichol Aug 6th 2006 2:59 am

Originally Posted by NC2Dorset
I'm the one here in UK trying to convert C to F. Everytime I talk to my parents in NC they are talking about temps up in 104 with a heat index of 120. Never hear anyone say anything about heat index here in UK.

Well I didn't realise that the UV index went above 11 until I came here. I'm sure in Sunderland it only ever got above 5 if there was a printing error in the local paper.

The odd thing about Tucson is that if it doesn't rain at the airport, it hasn't officially rained. Try telling that to the poor people who discover their roof leaks...

ironporer Aug 7th 2006 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I have 80º, 59% humidity and the dewpoint is 64º.

...which makes the 'Heat Index" a sweltering 147 degrees.

I am so sick of hearing how hot it is in NY or Chicago...come on down to AL/GA where it's been in the mid to high 90's since June with humidity's in the 95% range every day. Do we ever make the news? Hell no.

AmerLisa Aug 7th 2006 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
come on down to AL/GA where it's been in the mid to high 90's since June with humidity's in the 95% range every day. Do we ever make the news? Hell no.

Aren't you guys used to living in hell? :confused: