Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Obama/Democrat thread

Obama/Democrat thread

Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:50 pm
  #166  
Forum Regular
 
EnglishKimmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Houston-Texas
Posts: 42
EnglishKimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Obama/Democrat thread

Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Is this what you call a debate?
You want a debate? haha
should immigrants be assimilated into American Political Culture?
EnglishKimmy is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:51 pm
  #167  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 287
paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Obama/Democrat thread

true, but then if you ask a lot of people, what is being done at the moment isnt 'working as intended'
as far as the parties and the pac's go, arent they always moaning anyways? lol

another thing ,from what ive seen , realistically, you have to be a millionaire to be able to run for any sort of political position which would suggest that you are gonna end up with just the same sort of people in any sort of power , perhaps im wrong and have the wrong impression of it so would be happy if someone corrected me
whilst i know that is a broad generalisation, thats just what ive seen so far
paulpur is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:55 pm
  #168  
Forum Regular
 
EnglishKimmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Houston-Texas
Posts: 42
EnglishKimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Obama/Democrat thread

Originally Posted by paulpur View Post
true, but then if you ask a lot of people, what is being done at the moment isnt 'working as intended'
as far as the parties and the pac's go, arent they always moaning anyways? lol

another thing ,from what ive seen , realistically, you have to be a millionaire to be able to run for any sort of political position which would suggest that you are gonna end up with just the same sort of people in any sort of power , perhaps im wrong and have the wrong impression of it so would be happy if someone corrected me
whilst i know that is a broad generalisation, thats just what ive seen so far
Oh dude your totally right, one of the pointers to being able to run, you do have to have alot of money. Rick perry he spent like millions on his. And it didnt get him very far! haha
EnglishKimmy is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 4:57 pm
  #169  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
dakota44's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 26,321
dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obama/Democrat thread

Originally Posted by paulpur View Post
another thing that might help the whole process in general might be kicking the PAC's and superPAC's to the kerb, make everyone run for their position on merit and goals/policies , not whomever has the deepest pockets to sling the mud more
term limits could help as well, might get rid of the 'good ol boy' thing that seems to have left D.C in a rut....as my wife says 'keep putting the same ol shit in means that youll keep getting the same ol shit out'
or to paraphrase einstein 'doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity'
Because of the intense fealty on the part of some to a 225 year old document that is, to say the least, lacking in specifics that relate to the current era, is vague in the extreme and was created in the absence of any imagining of what the next 200 years would bring, there will be no elimination of money in politics because it would, in the eyes of the true believers, be a violation of the Constitutional right to freedom of speech. Hence we now have corporations deemed to be people. It boggles the mind.
dakota44 is online now  
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:08 pm
  #170  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 287
paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Obama/Democrat thread

yeah that whole corporations are people thing, how silly is that?? always gives me a giggle lol
paulpur is offline  
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 5:10 pm
  #171  
Forum Regular
 
EnglishKimmy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Houston-Texas
Posts: 42
EnglishKimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Obama/Democrat thread

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Because of the intense fealty on the part of some to a 225 year old document that is, to say the least, lacking in specifics that relate to the current era, is vague in the extreme and was created in the absence of any imagining of what the next 200 years would bring, there will be no elimination of money in politics because it would, in the eyes of the true believers, be a violation of the Constitutional right to freedom of speech. Hence we now have corporations deemed to be people. It boggles the mind.
Oh the constitutional rights boggles my mind too. Its crazy cause in texas you can carry a gun and have it on you. Its scary knowing the person your next to could have a gun and if you piss them off over something silly they could shoot. SCARY :-( . maybe the document might need to be written in a modern way since it is 200 yearish old?
EnglishKimmy is offline  
Old Feb 4th 2012, 3:02 am
  #172  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 10,678
Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obama/Democrat thread

Originally Posted by EnglishKimmy View Post
Oh the constitutional rights boggles my mind too. Its crazy cause in texas you can carry a gun and have it on you. Its scary knowing the person your next to could have a gun and if you piss them off over something silly they could shoot. SCARY :-( . maybe the document might need to be written in a modern way since it is 200 yearish old?
The constitution can be translated in any way that is desired but for some reason, conservatives feel that their translation is the only correct one just like for a 100 years, the supreme court ruled that states rights and property rights took precedence over all other rights and therefore slavery was allowed to continue.

So anyone that claims to be a constitutional scholar means that they wasted their entire life looking over a few hundred words in the constitution trying to justify their rational.
Michael is offline  
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:29 pm
  #173  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 10,678
Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obama/Democrat thread

According to CNBC, the Buffett tax on millionaires will replace the Alternate Minimum Tax (AMT). This should get a lot of support from people with incomes in the $100,000-$1,000,000 range that can currently get hit with AMT.

Also even people with earned incomes of over a million dollars and limited unearned income with favorable tax treatment should get a tax break since they will no longer lose their deductions to AMT.

The primary losers will be millionaires that currently receive favorable tax treatment on their primary source of income (qualified dividends, capital gains, hedge fund managers, and private equity firms).

Last edited by Michael; Feb 13th 2012 at 6:39 pm.
Michael is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.