British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Obama care - prospects for UK med student (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/obama-care-prospects-uk-med-student-797927/)

needle May 23rd 2013 8:45 pm

Obama care - prospects for UK med student

Will be finishing med school soon just wondered with obama care and ?increased need for doctor what are prospects for UK medics there?

I checked some figures and US takes around 8k of foreign medical grads every year but I see very few brits going.

Any input or advice needed pls to improve my chances

Pulaski May 23rd 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Obama care - prospects for UK med student

There was another recent thread on the subject, and ways to increase your odds by looking for "under served areas", which can include remote and poor areas of states like Mississippi and West Virginia, but also rural areas in many other states, and also perhaps some urban inner city areas.

monfed May 23rd 2013 9:43 pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794286

In summary, definitely possible but not easy.

needle May 23rd 2013 10:30 pm

thanks monfed

agree with what you say to give bit more info. I have passed step 1 and ck with scores of 253 and 265 respectively also CS 1st attempt

i want to do IM. I have 3 publications also and some US exp.

Am I good enough you think? I do need a visa though.

Agree with you monfed the nrmp figures show for foreign grads its uber hard to get into plastics etc

I want IM only though :)

Any other input appreciated

monfed May 23rd 2013 10:40 pm

Yeah, you should be fine as long as you apply broadly to programs around the country. Those are great scores!

monfed May 23rd 2013 10:50 pm

Oh, and I forgot to say, doing step 3 before application cycle will, I'm told, really nail down your chance because it is required for the H1B visa. I'm sure you know this already. Better still if you go to a premium school like Oxford/Cambridge- Americans love brand names.

needle May 23rd 2013 11:56 pm

buddy i seen ppl getting 270's these day for ck!! so i aint that high score wise.

will try step 3 but may be tight. does score count for that? i want 250+ in that if i can.

bro i aint an oxbridge grad sadly. are u? i have gone to redbrick old med school though.

u may surprised to hear this but some states in the US dont recognise the new brit med schools like peninsula etc!! how harsh is that?!

Ozzidoc May 24th 2013 1:28 am

Step 3 scores are unimportant, just pass first time.

I agree with the above poster - apply broadly.

California recognizes all the new UK med schools. Some other states recognize any med school that is on the California list. Others, like Texas, need loads of expensive, time consuming paperwork from a non-listed med school (including a CV for each lecturer!!) before they recognize the new school.

Good luck!

There's also helpful information on DNUK.

needle May 24th 2013 3:44 am

ozzidoc r u sure check this out

mbc.ca.gov/applicant/schools_recognized.html#e

i dont see hull york, peninsula, keele, swansea on the approved list so so are you sure they recognize the new med schools? yes anglia and warwick are the 2 new ones on it but the rest arent hence my query. mine is on the list so not an issue.

they are not on the unapproved list for cali which says to me that if you went to one of these then the expensive paperwork problem is going to rear its head in california for these grads if they go there!

thanks for advice ozzidoc i was under impression step 3 score counts a lot according to some forums so was planning some hard core prep but naturally this is going to be difficult while preparing an application!

monfed May 24th 2013 7:27 am

Also- be aware that for a California residency you would need a Postgraduate Training Authorization Letter (PTAL). In order to get this , in turn, you would need a social security number. Realistically therefore you would need to be a citizen, green card holder or previous student/work exchange visa holder to be able to apply to California. Still, there's the other 49 states...

needle May 24th 2013 12:06 pm

agree monfed but even for citizens ptal can take a year i heard to process. essentially cali is no go for foreign docs who need training!

but their list of med schools seems to be used a lot nationally so am surprised new brit med schools arent on it but ones in rural uzbek are!!

:)

Ozzidoc May 24th 2013 10:07 pm

needle and I have been in contact via email.

I confirmed with him that Cali DOES recognise the new med schools, very easily. I arranged for one of the new ones to be included in the Cali list. They recognise all those that are recognised by the GMC - you simply need to ask :)

needle May 25th 2013 11:57 am

didnt get yr email ozzidoc :( but i didnt know that! so just simply ask and its given the ok.

i guess since those schools arent on the texas list either but texas isnt as accommodating??

monfed May 25th 2013 12:27 pm

Needle- honestly I think there's no need to worry. As a UK graduate you'll be a rare thing and therefore looked favourably compared to the thousands of graduates that apply from the subcontinent/Phillipines etc.... whether that's right or not, is another question.. but that's how it seems to play out!

Ozzidoc May 25th 2013 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by needle (Post 10724082)
didnt get yr email ozzidoc :( but i didnt know that! so just simply ask and its given the ok.

i guess since those schools arent on the texas list either but texas isnt as accommodating??

That's how it was for me.

Texas, unfortunately, is a right PITA. Such a pity as there are several programs there that I am very keen on.