Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

O/T: In a permanent daze!!!!

O/T: In a permanent daze!!!!

Old Nov 25th 2002, 12:47 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default O/T: In a permanent daze!!!!

I had to chuckle to myself this evening. This forum's been a complete eye-opener for me, and if I knew then what I know now.........

When I decided to go and visit my fiance (back then, boyfriend) I had no clue. I was completely naive to the immigration procedures around the world. I've only ever been to various places in Europe, and they're not quite as strict as they are in the US.

Anyway, I was really looking forward to the trip, and although it was my first time flying outside Europe, plus I was by myself, I couldn't wait. I got to Gatwick, found the gate, checked in my suitcase, waited for the plane.......etc etc. I got to Miami airport, strolled merrily up to the immigration desk for the man to check my passport and Visa Waiver form, and he was very pleasant. He asked why I was there, I said, "Visiting my boyfriend," then I went on to tell him that we'd met online, fallen in love, hated to be apart, blah blah........He asked why I was only visiting for a few days, I said, "We both have to work, and can't get out of it, and he doesn't have any holidays left til next year, etc etc......." Then he asked "At what address will you be staying at while you're in the US?" I, casually as you like, said, "I have no idea. We're staying at a hotel, and he booked it, and forgot to mention which one." He was very calm and composed, but really, I think he was trying to stop himself laughing at my wide-eyed innocence!!!! He then stamped my passport, and sent me on my way!!

I thought I was going to have some trouble with the second person at another desk, though. She asked the same questions, and gave me the evil eye, but let me through eventually.

After reading about how you need proof for this, that and the other when you're visiting your other half, I'm shocked the first guy didn't immediately suspect that something was awry, turn me around, and kick my a** all the way back to the UK!!!!!

In a way, I'm glad I wasn't aware of the risk of being sent packing from the airport, coz if I had been, I would've tried so hard to make him believe I wasn't going to get hitched while I was there, it would've looked like that's ALL I was going there for!!!!!!!!! I'm such a dillis!!!!!!!

Kate. xxxxxxxxxxx
(Female Frank Spencer!)
Old Nov 25th 2002, 3:25 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: O/T: In a permanent daze!!!!

Originally posted by katesuiter1
I had to chuckle to myself this evening. This forum's been a complete eye-opener for me, and if I knew then what I know now.........

When I decided to go and visit my fiance (back then, boyfriend) I had no clue. I was completely naive to the immigration procedures around the world. I've only ever been to various places in Europe, and they're not quite as strict as they are in the US.

Anyway, I was really looking forward to the trip, and although it was my first time flying outside Europe, plus I was by myself, I couldn't wait. I got to Gatwick, found the gate, checked in my suitcase, waited for the plane.......etc etc. I got to Miami airport, strolled merrily up to the immigration desk for the man to check my passport and Visa Waiver form, and he was very pleasant. He asked why I was there, I said, "Visiting my boyfriend," then I went on to tell him that we'd met online, fallen in love, hated to be apart, blah blah........He asked why I was only visiting for a few days, I said, "We both have to work, and can't get out of it, and he doesn't have any holidays left til next year, etc etc......." Then he asked "At what address will you be staying at while you're in the US?" I, casually as you like, said, "I have no idea. We're staying at a hotel, and he booked it, and forgot to mention which one." He was very calm and composed, but really, I think he was trying to stop himself laughing at my wide-eyed innocence!!!! He then stamped my passport, and sent me on my way!!

I thought I was going to have some trouble with the second person at another desk, though. She asked the same questions, and gave me the evil eye, but let me through eventually.

After reading about how you need proof for this, that and the other when you're visiting your other half, I'm shocked the first guy didn't immediately suspect that something was awry, turn me around, and kick my a** all the way back to the UK!!!!!

In a way, I'm glad I wasn't aware of the risk of being sent packing from the airport, coz if I had been, I would've tried so hard to make him believe I wasn't going to get hitched while I was there, it would've looked like that's ALL I was going there for!!!!!!!!! I'm such a dillis!!!!!!!

Kate. xxxxxxxxxxx
(Female Frank Spencer!)
Hey Kate,
I couldn't agree with you more, actually. They say that a little knowlege is a dangerous thing, right? My "intended" has now been here three times in the last calendar year to see me (the last time being two weeks ago, yay! He's home now, boo!)----we haven't filed our K-1 yet as we are waiting on his divorce decree (Gracejilly, you know how that feels, huh?) BUT this time when he visited he brought loads of documentation with him, and that resulted from reading other's experiences off this board.

He came into Chicago and found that the questions he was asked this time were a bit more fine-tuned and detailed than the other two trips. Ultimately he didn't need to produce his documentation but felt much more nervous this time as he knew what COULD happen! I know certainly that I was much more nervous standing there waiting for him to come out this time, thought of "removal" going through my head....would they at least let him come out and see me to tell me goodbye before turning him around, or would they page me to go in there to be interviewed too, or would he just be gone.

So, he and I have talked about this lately ---- wouldn't it be nice if we could just go back to being oblivious about the possibilities at the POE? In some ways yes, but ultimately we've come to the conclusion that it's better to know and be prepared for all possibilities, get through that initial uncertainty and go on your way. Sigh. Casts a bit of a shadow on the next trip in the spring though.......lol......oh well.

Have a good day, everyone. Kate, you're not alone!
~SecretGarden